back to article NHS IT blunder biz CSC wilts as profit bleeds, costs staunched

Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), which bungled building a central patient database for the NHS, suffered a 78 per cent drop in profits year-on-year in its last quarter. CSC reported a net income of $42m for Q1 of fiscal year 2013 [PDF], down from $185m banked in the same period last year. Revenue stayed roughly the same as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thats a somewhat negative view...

...sure things look bad, but things were significantly better than any analyst thought, which lifted the share price by neigh on 50%.

As much as I hate those city types, they do seem to know rather a lot more about money and business than us bunch of IT Geeks and El Reg Hacks...

1. Gio Ciampa

Re: Thats a somewhat negative view...

That sounds like a new definition of "know" that I was previously unaware of - given the mess we're in after the bank bailouts...

(With apologies as ever to DNA...)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CSC are one of two companies shortlisted to take over our IT services. I'm worried!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Be Very Worried

A friend of mine works for CSC and tried to get voluntary redundancy recently due to his lack of faith in the abilities of management at CSC. Unfortunately they turned him down due to nobody else in the company having his skills in supporting a particular system. This is the same company that gave him a bad Appraisal a month earlier due to the fact they thought he wasn't bringing much value to the team! Go figure...

Moral is at an all time low at CSC according to my friend, basically nobody cares.

3. Kubla Cant
    Headmaster

Stanch, not staunch

"staunch" means "steadfast". To reduce the flow of something is to stanch it.

1. John Diffenthal

Re: Stanch, not staunch

While you may well be correct for the US speakers, staunch (bloodflow) is acceptable (and common) the UK.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Stanch, not staunch

"Moral" may be at an "all-time low" at CSC, but an epidemic of inability to distinguish homonyms seems "neigh" here in the Reg comments section.

4. MannyUK
    FAIL

FAIL

ha to CSC. They took over the NHS contract from Accenture who had failed and continued to plough the same road. Stop out sourcing the software development to INDIA, LORENZO should have been written in the UK for the UK. Not written cheaply.

Accenture = FAIL

CSC = EPIC FAIL for falling into the same traps

On the bright side UK companies developing software in the UK did do well with CSC. TPP (The Phoenix Partnership) managed to get their software installed all over Yorkshire and have benefited well from the CSC partnership they had (no doubt they would have said they could have done it on their own!)

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"costs will be reduced next quarter"

Now if that doesn't sound like the call for another round of pink slip distribution, I don't know what does.

6. Beelzeebub
    Flame

Haha...

.... couldn't happen to a better company :-)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. My heart bleeds after all the disasterous bits of crapware they've flogged us down the years ...

8. Last Bandit
    Pirate

No sympathy

I'm glad the UK gov is starting to put clauses in contracts to make 3rd parties liable when they default.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like