back to article Microsoft job ad advises 'Xbox 720' out by Feb 2014

Waiting for the next generation of Microsoft's Xbox games console? You won't be kept more than 18 months, it seems. A job vacancy posted on Microsoft's website revealed: "Over the next 18 months, Microsoft will release new versions of all of our most significant products including Windows (Client, Server, Phone and Azure), …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. undeadMonkey93
    FAIL

"Analysts and other observers have been forecasting a 2013/2104 launch for both the next Xbox and the next-generation PlayStation."

Covering all bases then?

1. ElNumbre
      Joke

Consoles in the Y2104

Wonder what games consoles will be like in the year 2104 (if they even exist as a thing by then).

I hope that the leading consoles will offer 'holodeck' style simulation experiences, whilst Nintendo's offering will just be launching a 4k video compatible gaming triangle.

1. OrsonX

Games in the Y2104

Final Fantasy XXVVVIIIIXXXXVVVIIIII

and Gran Tourismo 6

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about all those Customer service agent jobs?

To take all the phone calls about the new RROD because it was rushed out the door...

1. ukgnome

Re: What about all those Customer service agent jobs?

yeah, like they are going to use red LED's this time round.

3. Alistair MacRae

Hurry up and release a new Playstaion or Xbox

Then at least the graphics for my PC games will improve...

It's been far too long. I need something shiny!

4. adam payne
    Joke

Maybe they'll get rid of the red ring and have a little display that goes blue and says general protection fault.

5. JeffyPooh
    Pint

"720"

I get it. Xbox 360 * 2. But "720" smells like lowest-res HD video (720p). Not a good number, unless you're in the market for a cheap television.

Sony just needs to come out with the "PS3 1080p" to win by consumer confusion.

Fail.

1. tmTM
      Trollface

Re: "720"

You get 720, but can explain why it's predesessor was called the Xbox 360?

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

To go with the red-ring-of-death?

Or to show that Microsoft just send in circles.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Indeed, it should have been 480p, as almost all games on the Xbox360 are sub-HD, and upscaled to 1080p (which is enough to fool a nation of idiots that only look at box specs and can't use their eyes).

6. Kirstian K
    Coat

Its not XBOX 720

Its XBOX 3.....!

720 is just an internal name used because someone patented the number 720..!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its not XBOX 720

actually there are some rumors going around the tubes saying that the next Xbox will called: Xbox Infinity. It will be using '8' just like Windows is doing, but it will be sideways.

but that is just a rumor!

7. ItsNotMe
    Devil

NEWS FLASH...

...Xbox 1440 due to be released in 2018. What goes around...comes around...several times.

8. tsdadam

It doesn't say next generation anywhere

A 'new' Xbox in this context could just as easily be a refresh on the current hardware.

I remember all the stuff they were saying about giving it PVR capabilities (I seem to remember them filing patents for DVR/TV capabilites), could a new Xbox not just be a different model, maybe along the lines of a media center?

1. TonyHoyle

Possible.. if they did a version that got the power usage down so could be used as a DVR (<10w idle would qualify) then they could have a nice platform - provided they don't cripple it in the UK (which they probably will.. seems to be way these things go).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Media centre

would make sense, the PS3 already does most of what you might ask of it, BluRay, streaming from NAS, streaming to portable devices, iPlayer and 4OD (with better results than my Humax box)

Names... It can't the the logical 'Xbox 3' because it sounds less than 'Xbox 360', it can't be the 'Xbox 4' because of of tetraphobia (a fear of opening soup cartons?) in some cultures... '8' maybe.

2. OrsonX
      Megaphone

Media Centre

only if the 720 is MUCH quieter than the 360

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

XBOX 720

Why is it called the xbox 720? Because when you see one you'll turn 720 degrees and walk away!

1. Jolyon Smith
      FAIL

Re: XBOX 720

Turning around 720 degrees will have you spinning FULL CIRCLE, twice, on the spot: you'll end up walking the same direction you were originally facing, genius.

What the hell do they teach in schools these days ?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What the hell do they teach in school these days?

Over the last week of the Olympics, I've heard so many politicians promising so much extra sport in schools in order to maintain our current success rate, the only way 720 degrees could be worked into a lesson would be as part of the hammer throw. ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like