back to article Chinese tech players take aim at Apple's talking tech

Siri beware - a handful of major Chinese telecoms operators, handset manufacturers and other tech firms have joined up to form the Speech Industry Alliance of China (SIAC), a new group which will look at exploiting the growing domestic appetite for speech-based applications. The not-for-profit includes founder members such as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for some Apple bashing to take place...

Begin...

1. wowfood

Apple make bad uhm... phones, and stuff.

*looks around nervously*

1. JetSetJim
        Mushroom

@wowfood

Burn him!! Kill the witch!

1. g e
          Joke

Re: @wowfood

How do you know he is a witch?

(Thanks, Terry Jones)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

Lawyers... round corners... sheople... fanbois...

[Will that do?]

2. g e
    Holmes

Haha

The Chinese have sussed the value of the Fapple tax or mathematically, maybe, the idiot-squared tax ?

Or i<super>2</super> Tax? (Does the SUPER tag work?)

3. Steve Todd

It's amazing that companies like this still haven't figured out

That Siri isn't really about voice recognition (that's fairly old tech), it's about natural language processing of the converted voice data, context mapping and AI processing to give you something akin to a human response.

As a side effect of the process Apple are getting a really good data set of voice samples to improve their conversion accuracy, which is about all these guys will be competing with.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

这是你的提醒致电兽医

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pardon?

This is your reminder sends a telegram to veterinarian

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Pardon?

it was the best that google could mange, as a non speaker I cannot give any validity to the translation.

2. Eddy Ito
      Facepalm

簡體字!

1. mhenriday

不似春光

胜似春光!。。。

Henri

5. Mahou Saru

If this works I expect it to happen more frequently

It seems to be the same tactic used in school yards all over the world. If a bigger kid starts bullying everyone else, the only way to really deal with it is to get together and make a stand.

Of course if the environment didn't encourage this sort of behaviour in the first place then this wouldn't need to happen.

6. Confuciousmobil

Chinese market

The Chinese market is the largest in the world but as they

A) don't want to pay for anything and have no enforceable copyright laws, and

B) murder westerners who get. Involved with their political elite

I'm not sure it's a market I would like to get involved with. Apple are trying but I'm not sure it's worth it.

7. mhenriday
    Boffin

As any fule who has lived and worked in China kno,

dialectical differences in the pronunciation of the so-called «common language» (普通话) are many and not infrequently mutually unintelligible. One can't help wondering if, given the prevalence of smart phones and what seems to be a desire for voice recognision and natural language processing technology in that country, these latter are going to do as much, if not more to standardise the Chinese spoken language than radio and television have done these last six decades....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like