back to article Baidu bods arrested after deleting posts for dosh

Chinese web giant Baidu has been forced to sack four employees, three of whom were arrested by local police on suspicion of accepting bribes in return for deleting user-generated posts on one of the firm's sites. Baidu PR officer Li Guoxun told Global Times that police got involved in the case due to the large sums of money …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

I wonder if my mute "thumbs down" fanboi ...

Is hoping to make a similar profit ;-)

2. Oliver Mayes

"close the loopholes by strengthening management"

Doesn't matter where you are in the world, corporate problems can always be solved by hiring more managers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love

how any post on chinas web always includes a little nip at how they're big bad an evil because they sensor the net. How every government says the same thing (uk and usa main examples)

And yet at the same time the UK is pushing for web censorship, as is the USA, while still saying that chinas censorship is evil.

Government has become synonimous with hypocrit.

1. Bumpy Cat
      Stop

Re: I love

Can you say "fuck" on the internet? Can you do a google search for Jean Charles de Menezes, and how the Met managed to gun down an innocent man?

Congratulations, you're freer than the average Chinese citizen.

Certainly the UK and US governments are not entirely innocent, but there is a great deal more internet freedom here than in China. Look up "grass-mud horse" or "river crabs" for some interesting information on how pervasive internet censorship is in China, and the ways that people bypass it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

"...Can you say "fuck" on the internet?..."

Yes, but possibly not by text message:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/03/text_talk_legal_status/

2. cortland
      Headmaster

You can sensor a censer, but I wonder how you sensor a net. Or is that censored?

4. frank ly
    Happy

It's heartwarmimg ......

to see them embrace free-market capitalism. A need/desire arises - someone steps up to offer a service to deal with it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone else

see the irony here?

1. amanfromearth

Re: Does anyone else

No mate, we're all a bit thick.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

Not just Baidu

There's an outfit named "Reputation.com" which has been offering fixup services for a while.

Very recently they were sponsoring BBC World distribution in the USA (30 second spot every 30 minutes).

7. Jop
    Mushroom

Not ok for the little people

This is no different than large corporations lobbying governments with lots of money to censor what they do not like, either by way of changing the law or getting the police to remove it by claiming it is harrasment.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Baidu has fired the four

In China, that means with a gun, doesn't it?

10. Eduard Coli
    Childcatcher

Wot? again

Baidu is an extension of the PRC so what is the story other than the usual PRC corruption.

11. cortland
    Big Brother

What's "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" in Chinese?

1. jake Silver badge

@cortland

Not certain ... but the concept is probably a shooting offense in that neck of the woods.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like