back to article Samsung outs mobile Flash that cuts a dash

Samsung is now mass-producing "ultra-fast" Flash memory - the fastest of its kind, the Korean company claims - for phones and tablets. According to Samsung, the memory shifts bits at four times the speed of the firm's previous Embedded Multimedia Card (eMMC) parts, delivering sequential read and write speeds of less than 140MB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged

iPhone5

Short of contract restrictions, Samsung would be crazy to go giving Apple competitive advantages.

Next thing you know, they'd be sued for using the memory they invented in their own phones.

1. VinceH
      Trollface

Re: iPhone5

You beat me to it. I was going to say...

"Volume production now means the Samsung Flash will be appearing in devices any month now. iPhone 5, anyone?"

Yes, at which point Apple will patent the idea of using this ultra fast Flash memory in portable devices, and accuse anyone else who uses it of copying their tech, and try to get it banned.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm, they do insist that there's a complete separation between the phone business and the making iPhone component business, and all those stories about the component team leaking details about the iPhone to the Galaxy S design crew were complete nonsense.

But if they've given up on that myth now it would be less embarrassing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When has Apple ever sued anyone over hardware patents?

Apple is primarily a software company. Samsung is primarily a hardware company.

Hence why Apple sues Samsung over visual style and software elements and Samsung fires back about hardware patents.

Samsung is in business to make money and therefore they aren't going to refuse a large order for parts from Apple.

Commodore in the 1980s was making the 6502 processors used by Apple, Atari and many other of their competitors yet they didn't play dirty.

1. VinceH
        Facepalm

" When has Apple ever sued anyone over hardware patents?"

And when has anyone ever taken an OTT comment posted with a troll icon seriously?

Oh, wait...

2. Andus McCoatover
    Joke

DAMMIT!

Means my now much faster Samsung fondleslab'll let me watch pr0n, and spill my mess while girlie's having a piss....Takes the fun out of it, somewhat...

3. Azzy

Uh... 8MB parts?

Did you mean 8GB? I sure hope so.

We could definitely stand to have better performing flash in our mobile devices. The storage performance of mobile devices is a little disappointing.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Re: Uh... 8MB parts?

There's a trade off between so many factors in a mobile device. Power consumption, capacity, chip size and cost.

Almost none of the above applies in desktop/laptops apart from cost.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like