back to article AMD poaches Keller from Apple's mobile chip team

Jim Keller, formerly director of the platform architecture group at Apple, has become the newest recruit to AMD as part of CEO Rory Read's recent talent buying spree. Keller has worked for AMD before, helping to develop its 64-bit Athlon and Opteron designs. He also coauthored the x86-64 processor instruction set, as well as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

I am not, to say the least of it, any fan of Intel but the following statement............

"Intel is not having a lot of luck in the smartphone sector with its Atom line"

...........is a touch premature isn't it? AFAIK they are are only just beginning to release phones based on Intel's chip. Don't you guys read Reg Hardware? Where the "San Diego" was reviewed about four weeks ago? It had the subheading "Intel’s first smartphone aims to shake up the mid-range market." (My added emphasis). They said further: "a retail version of Intel’s own Gigabyte-built smartphone reference platform built around a hyper-threading 1.6GHz Z2460 Atom "

http://forums.reghardware.com/forum/1/2012/07/04/orange_san_diego_intel_based_android_smartphone_review/

I know that the mobile tech sector moves very fast but not that flaming fast. I still have no idea how Intel's phone chips are going to do and neither have you. I am afraid that that line was an example of rhubarb journalism. You know, as in the sound actors make when they wish to make it sound as if they are saying something.

1. Chris_Maresca

Re: I am not, to say the least of it, any fan of Intel but the following statement............

One of the reasons that Intel has such a hard time in mobile is that Google has refused all the x86 ports submitted by Intel, so Intel has had to fork Android to make it work on x86.

It's also why Intel has stuck with Meego/Tezin/whatever it's called today, as an alternative to Android...

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: I am not, to say the least of it, any fan of Intel but the following statement............

@Arctic Fox

The sentence "Intel is not having a lot of luck in the smartphone sector with its Atom line" is based on the vendor's reception of Intel's offerings, rather than consumer's reception (which as you point out, is too early to call since the bloke on the street hasn't yet been able to buy an Intel handset).

Tom's HW reckon it will take a while - and a few generations of chips- for Intel to build up relationships with device manufacturers who are currently happy enough working with ARM.

1. Arctic fox
        Thumb Up

@Dave 126 That is a fair enough point though I have to say..............

..............that if that was what the author meant it was certainly not clear from the article! -:)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like