back to article Microsoft RTMs final Windows 8 and Server 2012 code

Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 8 and Server 2012 have gone RTM and the final code is now in the hands of OEMs, ready to be tested and installed onto new systems. MSDN and TechNet subscribers can download the final Windows 8 build on August 15, and Redmond's reseller network gets it a day later. So do those with Software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Well here is an important milestone...

"Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 8 and Server 2012 have gone RTM..."

Well here is an important milestone that means nothing to me, because I don't like "clouds" and I don't use "tablets".

What can you tell me about Windows 9, though?

1. Antoinette Lacroix
      Joke

Re: Well here is an important milestone...

""What can you tell me about Windows 9, though?""

Hard to say. If they keep up the good work it might be triangular and monochrome.

1. Captain Save-a-ho
        Coat

"Hard to say. If they keep up the good work it might be triangular and monochrome."

Or worse, they come up with a "paper" interface, where you can write on a pad that will reflect your choices on screen. I'm sure that will be considered the new design ethic by then.

/vomit

1. Vic
          Joke

> a "paper" interface, where you can write on a pad that will reflect your choices on screen

...And then the low-power, mobile version of that, where you write on a pad with a pen, and there is no screen...

Vic.

1. LinkOfHyrule
            Joke

And then a low end embedded version of that where you have to chisel a sodding set of DOS command prompt instructions into a sodding stone tablet!

WindowsStoneAge RT™

2. Bob Vistakin
      Meh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pToyPkrju1o

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thank goodness

At last, this means Windows 9 will now be in development and we won't have to put up with Win 8 for any length of time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Thank goodness

FYI Win9 development started last year.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
          Devil

Win9 development started last year

"We see vehicle and home automation as an important emerging market. IN order to unify the interfaces between our PC*, Entertainment* and Mobile* offerings (to which we still retain a strong commitment!) we are undertaking the most expensive Windows development project ever to completely reimagine the interface. Now you will be able to use a Mouse*, Keyboard*, Stylus*, Fingers*, Voice*, Steering Wheel, Wall Sliders, Thermostat and Television-mounted Kinect all as "first class citizens" on the latest Microsoft Windows!

To further our efforts to unify the look and feel of Windows across all devices, we will be optimising our operating system for 30-charater displays common on most household thermostats. Rest assured however, we will continue to support alternative display devices such as monitors or tablets. All data will be syncronised with the cloud using Microsoft’s new Windows BlueSkypeBee 60ghz high-capacity home-area-networking.

To smooth the transition to this new model, we have unfortunately had to deprecate all high-level programming languages. Win RT will still be supported on some device classes, however the only universally supported development platform is building your own scanning tunnelling microscope and flipping bits on our new Microsoft FAT Flash one atom at a time.

We have created a series of Microsoft Virtual Academy videos to help you embrace the power of this new development model. Users drive the need for great products, but it is developers, developers, developers who make those great products come to life.

Windows 9: what do you want to run Windows on today?

*Please note that these form factors and input types are only available with purchase o an Office 365 L5 or higher monthly subscription. (Minimum 10 users, $55 USD per user per month, subject to change. All users agree to be bound by the laws of the United States of America and the laws of the state of Washington. Service is provided on a “best effort” basis and is not guaranteed. Patents pending.”

--Redmontian PR flak transmitting via Windows 9 Temporal Interface from BUILD 2015. (Thanks to the new Microsoft Quantum Tunnelling STM; buy now on the Windows Store, only 10E72 Windows Points!)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Win9 development started last year

ROTFLMAO!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Non-event for me

In past years, I would have been falling over myself trying to get hold of a new Windows RTM build, but nowadays I couldn't give a toss. Especially since it's Windows 8 and Metro is balls.

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

What's new?

No obvious information (on either of the linked blogs) on what has changed since the Release Preview. Assuming that nothing has changed, this isn't a big story. Think of it as a coroner's report confirming accidental death, where all of the gory details have already been spilled to all media outlets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

@Ken

"Assuming that nothing has changed, this isn't a big story."

I disagree. If nothing has changed then it is kinda big because it would mean that MS didn't remove Aero support, didn't remove gadget support and basically held onto a lot of other eye candy in the desktop. While they seemed pretty sure it all had to go (probably fearing the risk it would make the desktop app. too appealing, I dunno).

So if they reversed that decision then that is big IMO. Because it means they actually listened (for the first time) to their potential customers who complained that functionality was taken more and more blows for the worst.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: @Ken

Nothing changed from the release candidate some of us downloaded a while back ...

5. rahul
    Mushroom

tech support? what tech support...?

Aug 15th is Independence Day holiday in India...

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Khaptain Silver badge

Enthusiasm evades everyones expectations

I don't think that any OS has ever created such an unenthusiastic release. The only people that seem truly interested are [¨fill in your own word here , I can't think of anything suitable].

I think that they really need to let Mr "I've got a big heavy chair" Ballmer go. At least Bill Gates has a modicum of Charisma, Ballmer just sweats and brings out products that no one cares about or wants.

1. Tim Brown 1
      Pint

Re: Enthusiasm evades everyones expectations

Actually Bill Gates has pretty much had a charisma bypass too. But I guess even a cow pat would seem charismatic when compared to Ballmer.

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Happy

It certainly isn't charisma that Microsoft has you're right - whatever it is though, if you could bottle it, they'd sell it exclusively in Lidl - lmao

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Having met both, I'd rather talk to Bill any day of the week. Steve just comes across as a boor looking for any excuse to be a bully. Ultimately he's a 'numbers' guy who knows very little about the business he's in. That was fine when he was second fiddle to a geek who needed a numbers guy backing him up but now... not so much.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

@Khaptain

"I don't think that any OS has ever created such an unenthusiastic release. The only people that seem truly interested are [¨fill in your own word here , I can't think of anything suitable]."

Seem or seemed? I was pretty interested in the OS too, was especially wondering about the new WinRM (Remote management) service which would introduce PowerShell 3.0. I played with it and the MMC environment (was also curious about new MMC modules).

Unfortunately the emphasis lies on 'was'. The underlying Windows management structure (which IMO is pretty decent and even impressive here and there) shows very few exciting new features or developments.

There's not even enough for me to remotely consider grabbing the upcoming version of Win8 through my TechNet subscription.

1. beast666
        Happy

Re: @Khaptain

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

3. Gary F
      Unhappy

People were generally enthusiastic about Vista in the run up to its launch because relatively few people got to play with it in advance - compared to the public releases that Win8 has gone through. After the Vista launch a wave of disappointment gushed over us.

With Win8 we had the opportunity in advance to find out for ourselves that it's disappointing, hence we are mostly unenthusiastic and looking forward to Win9 instead. Win9 will be the equivalent that Win7 was to Vista - Redmond effectively saying "sorry, this is what we meant to have released but it took us another year to listen to customers and realise we made some mistakes."

Let's just push the Fast Forward button, the outcome is too predictable. Along with massive financial losses this year, 2012 will be one that Microsoft will want to forget.

1. PeterM42
        FAIL

So true - I am trialling Windows 8 preview and felt that it does not do enough for existing desktop and laptops users (yes, there are still some of us around - several BILLION I believe), but has been designed for tablet and smartphone.

Tried installing Beta of the "NEW" Office 365 on Windows 8 only for the intsaller to tell me I need the FULL version of Windows 8 - Er,..... but that is not available yet - D'oH!

8. Tom 35

a new world of scenarios and experiences...

how Windows 8 is Enterprise ready by design...

Next they are going to ask anyone still listing if they want to buy a bridge.

9. Harry

So, what next after windows 9 ?

Windows 0 springs to mind -- ie, no windows at all. Well, 0 *is* the next key after 9.

No windows would be ideal for people who wanted to make documents they didn't plan to release, because it would cause some terrific drafts.

1. Dave Pickles

Re: So, what next after windows 9 ?

If they're following the ASCII character set then after windows 9 comes windows colon. In EBCDIC 9 is 0xF9 so the next would be 0xFA, which appropriately is undefined.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

0 x F*** All, obviously.

2. Muckminded

Windows, nein.

3. Cameron Colley

Windows 0xFOAD

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Joke

Life after windows...

Door For Workgroups 3.1 - New from Microsoft with patented "knob" technology!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

@Harry

Simple; "Windows 2".

Because then some marketing guy will finally realize that they need more 'tech' into Windows, some decisions will most likely have been reversed and 9 could be the "new" Windows environment "everybody will recognize again".

And what better way to promote your new "tech OS" 'Windows 10' as "Windows 2" and show the world how smart (and 'tech') you are ? ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Will be named after Ballmer: 0xB16B00B

10. h4rm0ny

Wow.

What a depressing lot of comments. When did everyone become so averse to new things?

1. Steven Raith
      FAIL

Re: Wow.

Since we've been able to play with the new things for months now, and found them to be disappointing.

Hope that helps,

Steven R

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Many became adverse to Windows 8 when they tried it and went 'WTF', 'Why?' and many worse expletives.

Innovation when it moved forward is fine. This is just going off in a direction that is nowhere near forward.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not everyone but agree its very depressing only hope the individuals responsible don't carry that negative attitude into all aspects of their lives. I think its its no more than a combination of ignorance, lack of imagination, near sightedness and resistance to change we observe in the thinking of a bunch of commentators here, some but not all simply motivated to comment by wishful thinking on the Microsoft fail topic. Once Win8 is out, expect much of the storm in a teapot will vanish with the winter snow.

However in mitigation it has to be said the Sinofsky approach to managing communication has been very unhelpful. Messaging has been extremely confused over the last couple of years, especially concerning the developer story and the big picture of how Metro style and WinRT fits into the Windows ecosystem past, present and future. Hardly surprising a lot of people find it hard to join the dots.

1. KakersUK
        WTF?

Nothing annoys me more then being told "You don't like our AWESOME product because you're just afraid of change!!" I think it was the Microsoft CTO who said something along those lines, lets see how that attitude works out for them.

I don't like Windows 8 based solely on my own opinion, if others love it that's great, but it does nothing for me and I don't appreciate being told there is a problem with me because of my standpoint.

1. Phoenix50
          Stop

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion. But so many other people on this fucking website do enjoy crowing about it SO, SO MUCH.

The relentless, utterly fixated bile and hatred towards anything that has been touched by Microsoft on these forums has made me hate visiting this site, and I'll likely have to stop soon; as it's not doing my blood pressure any good. People seem to just post shit about Microsoft or one of their products for the fun of it - it's trolling, pure and simple.

Now clearly, if you have used it, tried it and diskliked it as a result - great! But why not simply dicsuss it? Why the poor tatse jokes, the insults, the pointless flaming? It is the single most irritating thing about this site and it spoils it.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Phoenix50 - Totally agree... It's why I stopped going to slashdot a number of years ago, I'm just sorry to see the Reg comments go the same way. The good comment threads are still good, though.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@Phoenix50 lots of MS fanboys here. Lots of neutrals who like many of MS's 2012 lineup. (Powershell 3, SMB 3, Hyper-V 3, SCVMM 2012, etc.)

But Metro is outright fucking garbage. So when we talk about Microsoft, we can - and do - talk about the good things. We also crap all over the descisions and corporate attitudes that crap all over us.

Turnabout is fair play.

4. E Haines

When did "new things" become something to be desired in and of themselves? New things that are good are nice, new things that are bad are something that I am, indeed, averse to. As should you be. But I guess all you care about is whether it's new and shiny? Marketers must love you.

5. Bob Vistakin
      Pint

We all saw what a spectacular fail Vista was, to the point no one at microsoft would even say the word out loud. By Christmas, that'll be the same for Metro too - but a hundred times worse.

11. Chad H.

Microsoft RTMs final Windows 8 and Server 2012 code

They're only just now getting around to reading the manual?

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Did they remove that metro bullshit yet?

I don't want Windows booting into a smartphone user interface designed to sell me lots of applets.

13. qwarty

Roll on October

Looking forward to seeing the effect of Win8 on new PC models. Notebook and desktop PCs from the leading OEMs have gone very stale in terms of improvements over recent years and just maybe Win8 will stimulate some competition and interesting new designs.

14. Unicornpiss
    Pint

Advice...

Don't buy a new car in its first model year, and don't buy a MS product, especially an operating system, until at least the first service pack is released.

Also, if the trend continues in closing everything up to hobbyists and developers, we can at least look forward to one good thing--a vast resurgence of the Open Source/Linux movement. Cheers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Advice...

So you're saying that next year will *finally* be there year of Linux on the desktop?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RTM ?

Return to manufacturer? I wonder if "start me up" will be replaced by the theme from the omen

16. Chris Donald

Right tool...

After using it on the laptop, for half and hour, I'm not upgrading on anything that isn't touch focussed.

Having said that, I am inclined to try out and go for a surface pro if any good. To date my experience of new things is generally good. I hated apple but put aside prejudice to look at a tool for a job. The iPad 3 is excellent for reading and convenient computing of the less productive sort. Can't fault it. The surface appeals as I may be able to code on it in vs studio :)

And metro is bloody terrible, horrible, poor and well I come off the fence when I say diabolical for the desktop. It's simply the wrong tool. And it does break some design rules regarding usability of course. Interested in surface, uninterested in win 8 desktop.

17. vmistery
    Alert

Oh Windows 8. I will be hit with a terrible choice. Pay for a more expensive upgrade to windows 7 (from *cough* Vista) or to Windows 8 which looks kinda like a V-tec toy but will be cheaper. Windows 7 the new XP?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Windows 7 the new XP?

I don't like to think about it but it appears to me that's their plan.

My plan is to bury the XP production boxes. workstations essentially

SuSE 7 was an XP killer (if you didn't have 3rd party expensive ass hardware)

Win 7 failed cause it could not support 3rd party expensive ass hardware

The ppl at Microsoft need to drink more coffee.

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Re: Windows 7 the new XP?

How is selling 300 million copies and having over 90% market share 'failed'?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've learnt my lesson.

I bought a Ford with Microsoft Sync. After 20miles the MS badge fell off. I'll have nothing to do with W8. Too risky and computer stuff is expensive.

1. Bob Vistakin
      FAIL

Re: I've learnt my lesson.

Speaking of Ford, look what happened when they teamed with the beast - their consumer satisfaction ranking went from a fifth to 23rd, all blamed on the MyFord Touch: http://www.dailytech.com/MyFord+Touch+Drop+Kicks+Ford+from+5th+to+23rd+in+JD+Power+IQS+Rankings/article21994.htm

Even Wikipedia struggles to find anything good to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFord_Touch

19. Anonymous IV
    Alert

The sound of wishful thinking...

"Microsoft is advising IT managers to start evaluating the code on Windows 7 machines first and then roll out any deployment side by side to minimize disruption, and to leave upgrading XP and Vista systems on the to-do list."

Yeah, right! (We start Monday...)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OctoSoft - The DRM is Cause we Can't afford all these Kids.

My requirements for a new windows os is backwards 100% compatibility with hardware all the way back to XP and DOS

IF it;s going to have some faggity window manager, It needs to also have command-line only. (then we can put our own GUI on it just like Enlightenment)

If It won't be useful for old stuff, regardless of the security problems it IS NOT worth it to update to the latest, and yeah just like ppl been saying, we'll be skipping 9, 10, 11, 12 as well. That's not to say in the next decade one of these new os's might become somewhat stable like XP. I'll be happy to play then, if we or you are still around. With all the new spying, and laws I doubt it. I doubt I would be able to speak my mind without being put on some terrorist, or political hit list.

That should scare the crap out of you Microsoft..

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      Meh

Re: OctoSoft - The DRM is Cause we Can't afford all these Kids.

I'm sure Microsoft is completely terrified now that some anonymous wanker threatened to avoid buying their software because it needs hardware capability with DOS. But keep dreaming big dreams, matey!

21. stephajn
    FAIL

August 15th and....??

Logged into my MSDN account today and looked and....what?? Nothing new there? Still showing only the release preview and release candidate versions of Visual Studio. What a letdown....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like