back to article Murdoch's fondleslab epaper axes 50 staff

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp has announced that its tableted news publication The Daily will be axing 50 staff members in cost-cutting moves. The Daily, first released on iPad only but now available to be fondled on other slabs, was denying rumours of changes at its offices right up until AllThingsD broke the story of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim #3

All change...

There seem to be many things afoot in the Murdoch world since his recent departure from various newspaper boards, and they are happening quiickly. I was very surprised to see that last Saturday's Times did not include any listings for Sky TV channels. Any predictions for what is his next move?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ehh??

Am I the only one that's never heard of its existence!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoops

The picture of Murdoch that did the rounds when he first got his hands on a fondleslab will give me nightmares for years to come; if ever "naked slavering avarice" has been given form, that picture was it. The idea of a "newspaper" tracking your reading habits is bad enough, a News Corp publication doing it adds an extra layer of Orwellian greasiness.

Making an fondleslab app vertical only is simply bizarre; Rupe must be losing his Golden touch.

4. Chad H.

The Daily, first released on iPad only but now available to be fondled on other slabs, was denying rumours of changes at its offices right up until AllThingsD broke the story of the layoffs. Parent News Corp then copped to the plan, saying that the epaper needed to "streamline its production".

---------------

Aint that typical Murdoch practice. Lie until you're caught with your pants down.

5. ColonelClaw
    Flame

So...

Apple has sold nearly 70 million iPads, so it's not exactly a small market. I'm sorry Rupert, people just don't like you.

6. Rob
    Go

That device culture I reckon

I think this is the signal that customers are generally aren't interested in device specific content but are more than happy to consume and pay for re purposed content, it then gives the customer the choice of what device they want to consume it on. To me the 100,000 subscribers doesn't sound nearly enough for them to be breaking even, hence the staff cuts.

To me tablets and mobile's have always been about the media I already consume just available on a device that suits my needs at the specific point in time.

7. Thomas 18
    Thumb Down

100,000 subscriptions

so previously:

X*0.29 = 50

X=172

100,000 subs

= £53.56 * 100,000

= £32,883 per employee

Then there's advertising revenue, but that probably covers the estates costs, travel expenses, extra coffee for the machine.

Guess there's some greedy people at the top.

8. squilookle
    Thumb Down

As ever, I'm not fan of this particular empire but am sorry for those losing their jobs. Hope something better comes up for them quickly.

9. Nev
    Happy

Every time a Murdoch minion is fired...

... An angel smiles in heaven.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like