back to article Nexus Q preorders halted, price dropped to $0

Google has stopped taking orders for its spherical Nexus Q streaming-media player, but customers who have already preordered the device will still be getting theirs, albeit at a much lower price: free. The Chocolate Factory has decided that it needs to add more functionality to the Android-powered media ball before it releases …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Handle This

Disappointed?

Maybe ultimately in the product, but I expect less so in the transaction. Get what you ordered, ans get it free? Not too disappointing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Free, like a box of damaged Christmas crackers

Yeah it might be free, but the real reason it was withdrawn?

Simple answer to that, it was not very good, in fact it was worse than that.

Still it will make decent enough garden ornament.

1. Richard 81

Re: Free, like a box of damaged Christmas crackers

If it's free, just flash it. No warranty to void.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm actually pretty certain that you have the same warranty if you got an item for free or not, at least in the UK. It's basically irrelevant it's free, it's still subject to the same laws. For example, if you got a free Bluray player with a TV, you have the same rights as the TV... and not because you paid for the TV. The only real difference is if it breaks, you would still be entitled to a repair or refund, though in this case it would be a refund of £0.

1. Richard 81

That's true. Though my point was that, since it's free, any shortcomings in its software could be dealt with by flashing it like the Android hacker mentioned in the article. Flashing normally voids the warranty though, so if you've spent £100 for something you're less likely to risk flashing than if you've got it for free.

2. Rob Moir

Re: Disappointed?

Free crap is still crap.

1. h4rm0ny

Genuine question - why is it so crap? What's it missing / does badly? And is it a lack in the software or in the hardware? If the former, maybe it will reappear before Christmas in a much better form.

1. Steve Evans

@ h4rm0ny - was Re: Disappointed?

I wouldn't expect A/C to explain his opinion. I seriously doubt he's ever seen one, let alone touched or used one.

Then again they probably didn't stopped him badgering Apple to let him order an iPhone5 in March.

2. mangobrain
          Meh

What's it missing? The ability to use content from anywhere except YouTube and the Google Play store (movies & music). Officially, anyway. No content from the LAN at all, despite the network connectivity.

Even *with* the ability to play existing content from a LAN, one could still argue it's over-priced. I'm not a Google hater - I use their online services, have a Galaxy Nexus, and am thinking of getting a Nexus 7 - but I really, really did not understand the Q. Here's hoping the come up with something worthwhile.

3. Steve Evans

I wouldn't be disappointed in a free gadget, even if it had some flaws.

From the article it looks like Jason Miller resolved his complaints by changing the firmware, in which case the hardware looks like it is fine and a change of software makes it a usable box (sorry, ball).

Then again, given Jason has the moniker "Hacker" it's not exactly a shock he'd change the firmware and mess about with it. Maybe a normal consumer customer would have been very happy with it as delivered?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing Ball 2, the sequel. The existing one didn't really grab me as a "must have" device, which is why I didn't order one, and why I'm not about to receive a free one. D'oh!

2. toadwarrior

It must be a real steaming pile of crap for them to give up on it at this point. Which wouldn't surprise me at all.

3. ZenCoder

Does too little costs too much

I have a western digital live hub that replaced my HTPC. It does a lot more and costs half as much, I'm not surprised they are pulling it. If I had one for free I'd still have zero reason to use it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does too little costs too much

I'm guessing then you don't know too much about it.

I for one was very impressed by the Google I/O demo of it, and it's far from a HTPC... Disappointed it's tied into Google Music (which isn't officially available in the UK, despite us all having it)...

1. Mark .

Genuine question - what are the good things it does?

The thoughts I had were the cost. For £50-£100 you can get loads of boxes that do wireless and Internet streaming. For around £160 you can get the "smart TV" boxes from the likes of LG that also add things like applications. Yes having Android compatibility is a bonus, but I'm not sure worth paying that much money (plus LG will be switching to Google TV soon anyway, so I'd rather see what they produce). I have an LG smart TV, but am considering getting a box for a second existing TV in the bedroom. What is it that the Nexus Q does better, for the extra price?

2. Sporkinum

"I have a western digital live hub that replaced my HTPC. It does a lot more and costs half as much"

If you are talking about the western digital live hub, that makes no sense. A PC can literally do everything media related. Any specialized box is limited in comparison. I paid $175 for a PC with OS and digital tuner card with remote. Sure, it uses more power, but it is only running for 3 or so hours a day.

I even play the occasional PC game with it.

4. Peter Galbavy
    Thumb Down

the problem

For google, they can't ship anything remotely useful or capable in this space as they would not then get the nice juicy commercial deals with big media. As soon as they try to ship a media player that can play most formats from most sources then the media owners will walk away as they can't see the walled garden that makes them rich.

The hardware may be capable and there is software out there but it can't be official. This is why the non-brand media players and generic PC hardware rule the roost here. And one of the many reasons for UEFI (sp? no coffee yet) from M$.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the problem

It's not so much a walled garden, they just don't want one person to buy a copy then share it with everyone on the net.

It's their content at the end of the day and they choose to share it with whomever they like. Would you not like to be rich? or is it cool to be a commie now?

1. Richard 81

Re: the problem

No, what they want is for you to buy it once for every device you own... or, even better, each time you want to watch it.

More seriously, they don't want you to have a choice of source since you'll always go for the cheapest, which will drive down profit.

5. h4rm0ny

"No, what they want is for you to buy it once for every device you own... or, even better, each time you want to watch it."

Not necessarily. Many (most?) of the big media players are now participating in a system called Ultraviolet. (Link). Lets you buy a copy of a film or show and watch it anywhere. I bought a Blu-ray recently and inside was a registration code for the movie on it as well as the disc. Logged in, entered the code, and now that movie is available to me to watch wherever I go. Pretty good, really.

1. Richard 81

Good

Yeah, I've found a similar code in a DVD before.

AC just riled me, as is an AC's want.

2. Tom 38

"Lets you buy a copy of a film or show and watch it anywhere"

Anywhere they choose, on a device they have approved, assuming I have pre-downloaded the media and my device is still authorized to play the media. If I accidentally lose the downloaded file, and I bought it more than two years ago, then I can't download another copy of it, and it is still "illegal" to rip a copy of the film from a bluray.

I'll start buying movies again when they start selling them in HD in a format I can use. Until then, they can go spin.

6. David 164

To be honest I am not entirely surprise, nice exterior design that I would not be surprise go on and win a few design awards but lack of features made it a tough sale.

The ideas incorporated into Nexus Q was cool but what the hell Google was thinking not including Google TV or Android Jelly Bean for the software on the device and limiting it to the US only and Google online services. I look forward to see Google update the device which should just be a software update.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

* SURPRISED

Idiot.

7. wowfood

Dammit

I was considering preordering one of these.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With modern TV's supporting DLNA, surely a separate media player is only useful for owners of old TV's?

What we need is 'Android' for the TV, so every TV has the same OS on it and apps are universally available..

The new Samsung TV's not only have upgradeable software, but according to the sales guys, they have an hardware upgrade slot, so you can update your hardware without needing to replace the whole TV!

With DLNA & iPlayer on my TV, I have very little need for any extra boxes under my TV, the only one I have is a bluray player!

1. Neil Alexander

Didn't anyone tell you DLNA is crap too?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

DLNA will be dead soon anyway.

Apple are coming up with iDLNA for their new apple TV, then they plan to sue the creators of DLNA for infringing on their patents.

2. Mark .

Indeed - although in fact, Google already have their "Google TV" platform.

It's not had much success so far, though I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes more common. LG are already planning to roll out Google TVs in the US, and may switch to it as their main platform.

Interesting point about the hardware upgrade slot - that solves the problem of hardware being out of date (the main advantage of separate boxes being you can upgrade the box without buying a whole new expensive TV).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like