back to article Sony slides expose saucy Xperia slate

Sony looks set to launch a Tablet S successor after internal slides escaped its HQ and revealed a lighter, thinner, brawnier device, known only as the Xperia Sony Tablet. The forthcoming Sony slate will join the party with an Nvidia Tegra 3 processor; Android 4.0 or later; 16GB, 32GB or 64GB of internal storage; and a whopping …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miek
    Linux

Cover plus keyboard? I sense a lawsuit in the near future.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You mean like the one I've had for 6 months for my 7" Android?

2. Steve Todd
    Stop

Would the Reg please note

Battery capacity only makes any sense if quoted in Watt hours. A 7.2V lithium pack would give 43.2 WHr (which is impressive), a 3.6V pack would give a below average 21.6 WHr

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

New Meaningful Register Units of Battery Capacity Needed

Suugestions?

1. spencer

Re: New Meaningful Register Units of Battery Capacity Needed

They probably just relayed what was in the press release.

@Thad - not sure if you're joking or not, but mAh is a decent indicator of battery life.

1. Thecowking

Oh it's a fine normal measurement, but we need some kind of reg measurement.

So standard light up santa hours, for example, or perhaps an equivalent such as "That's as much energy as eating X fruit pastilles per minute for Y hours" or the like.

Actually fruit pastilles per minute for so many hours sounds like an excellent unit of measurement.

1. Steve I

I think we should adhere to standards for measurements i.e. how many of these battereis it would take, driving an electric pump, to fill an olympic-sized swimming pool.

Or how far it could propel an double-decker bus.

2. Steve Todd

Given the Registers paunchant for units, how about the Tesla Foot. The amount of energy required to shift a Tesla Roadster one foot. It averages 216WHr per mile, therefore assuming a 7.2V battery the Sony could shift the Tesla about 1050 feet.

3. Dig
        Boffin

I propose the d YodaHr equivalent to 18Kwhr. so the 43.2Whr is .0024Yodahr

Courtesy of http://what-if.xkcd.com/3/

3. wowfood

$450 (£287) for the 16GB, $550 (£351) for the 32GB and $650 (£415) for the 64GB.

Shouldn't that read

$450 (£450 $550 (£550) and $650 (£650) instead?

I mean lets face it, we never actually get the exchange rate over here. It'd be cheaper for me to fly over to the USA, buy one and fly back.

1. Steve Todd

Don't forget

That US prices are quoted without sales tax (since they change from state to state and parish to parish).

UK prices are quoted including VAT at 20%, which you may be liable to pay when you import if you buy one in the US.

It's not normally as bad as you make out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

USA prices ex taxes.

UK prices inc taxes.

So knock 20% of UK prices to get "real" price.

4. Darryl

I'm becoming conflicted... I've become very disillusioned with Sony over the last decade or two and now they're coming up with some really nice devices. Starting to think I might have to reconsider

1. Quxy
      Thumb Up

Disillusioned

I agree -- but it's nothing compared to the disillusionment from Apple. I've been buying computers from them since the Apple ][, but I think I've bought my last piece of kit from that consumer electronics company that has replaced innovation with litigiousness and product lock-in.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Disillusioned

Cue the fanboi downvotes...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Disillusioned

Escape the walled garden of iOS and head for Windows RT where you can only install apps from the Microsoft App store and the only browser that is allowed is Internet Explorer.

5. Chris 171
    Thumb Up

Looks good!

Really really happy with my Tablet S, good that Sony are continuing with the folded shape too, makes holding in portrait orientation much less wrist damaging.

The sound quality is also excellent via headphones/external speakers, battery life continues to surprise me.

ICS update brought more to the table & utilising Swype for text input really speeds things up. Ive always thought that they nailed the size with a 16:9 screen, just seems right in the hand, far less unwieldy than the 10"ers & for video it is of course perfect.

Sony have indeed done stupid things in the past but their small(ish) portable devices continue to offer genuine advantages over their competitiors. Was a little sceptical over the lack of Gorilla Glass but proved wrong, buff the thing with a microfiber cloth & it looks like new even after 9 months of daily use.

Plenty of time left on my two year warranty too....

1. Bodhi

Re: Looks good!

Shhhh, you're not supposed to stand up for Sony in these here parts, they once did a rootkit you know!

I would agree with just about everything you've said however, I would rate the Tablet S in my all time top 3 gadget purchases. Comfortable to hold for hours on end, feels a proper solid bit of kit, and, like you say, ICS has improved it even further. Battery life has doubled now I don't need to keep the WiFi awake all the time (the one issue I did have with it), and the mini-apps are superb. It's great scrolling through what music to listen to whilst controlling the volume on my stereo at the same time. Sound quality is also superb, best I've heard on a portable device.

Let's just say I have an iPad 2 as well which I use for work, however once I have left the office the iPad stays in its bag and the Sony gets used, as for my purposes, it's a much better tablet. The iPad feels like a bit of a toy in comparison.

Can't wait to see this new Tablet in stores.

6. Colin 1
    Happy

Energy Units

Attended a very good lecture given by Warren East (ARM's CEO) a few weeks back in London, of which power consumption (or lack of it) was a major theme. ARM's preferred energy units - custard cream biscuits. Suitable candidate for the Reg's standard measure on this topic too? Dunkable as well...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If this runs Windows RT then it'll sell like hot cakes. The last thing the world needs is another Android honeycomb tablet complete with Access to Google malwar.. I mean Google Play

1. Bodhi
      FAIL

Three problems with your post...

1) Honeycomb hasn't been used on tablets for a while now.

2) Malware is a bit more of an issue on Windows platforms than it is on Android

3) Does Uncle Ballmer know you're posting on forums when you should be finding some more productivity software to completely cock up so no one can get any work done?

8. Super Fast Jellyfish
    Thumb Up

IR port

And they're keeping the IR port yeah!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like