back to article Apple reverses resistible rise of Android

Android's share of the smartphone market is waning, at least in the US. Market watcher Strategy Analytics, which tracks phone shipments and such, today noted that Android's Stateside share had fallen from 60.6 per cent in Q2 2011 to 56.3 per cent in 2012's second quarter, on the back of a 12.4 per cent decline in unit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lord Voldemortgage

Samsung

How much has Samsung been affected in that market? Would be good to see their figures separate from the rest of the Android field.

1. Chris Miller

Re: Samsung

Or the more important question: how many of these phones had rounded corners?

2. Steve Evans

Not surprised sales were down... Apple successfully held to two most wanted models on the docks for weeks.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Samsungs are such close copies they're counting them in with Apples sales

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like

Sounds like fandroids have given up waiting for their updates

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds like

Sounds like fandroids are hedging their bets waiting for the new iPhone

5. toadwarrior

I think it's more the case people realised most Android phones are cheap budget crap and getting locked into a contract with some cheap phone is painful.

Combine that with all the poor ad-supported apps, malware, etc and you feel like you're mobile ghetto land. Imo, they should consider anything but Android. Blackberrys would be a step up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Blackberrys a step up

From android?

No I can't go that far,

Symbian is definately a step up from android though.

2. andreas koch
    Joke

Of course Android is on the decline!

Is there any Android for an iPhone (pbuh)? No. There.

iPhone! (pbuh) Yes! 5!!! Please, soon!!! Oh, Apple!!!!

Bah, humbug.

1. craigj

Re: Of course Android is on the decline!

errrr... WTF?

1. andreas koch
        Holmes

@ craigj - Re: Of course Android is on the decline!

Maybe I need to explain my post?

Seeing that nothing, N O T H I N G W H A T S O E V E R is written on this (or any other) forum will ever make any difference either to the fans of either side, the companies involved or the market altogether, I've taken to vent my amusement about the Apple 'Believers' in a more appropriate style.

That of a hormone-overpowered 13-year-old female 'Twilight' reader.

1. Aaron Em

Huh?

Still not sure what you're talking about here, mate.

1. andreas koch
            Facepalm

@ Aaron Em - Re: Huh?

*sigh*

2. No, I will not fix your computer
            FAIL

Re: Huh?

andreas koch is being astoundingly funny by using the "pbuh" (Peace Be Upon Him) to imply that the iPhone is being worshipped, however he obviously hasn't realised that within the Islamic faith Mohammed explicity said that he must not be worshipped (hence the fact that Moslems are banned from making images of Mohammed), he has made two mistakes, firstly that it's an illogical joke (i.e. a false premise because of his ignorance), secondly, if you have to explain it, it's not funny.

Personally I don't care if you take the piss out of people to try to make a joke, but if the joke depends on an important key fact, make it right, as he says *sigh*

1. andreas koch
              Thumb Up

@ No, I will not fix your computer - Re: Huh?

Really and truly, you have got a point there: I did not research deeper into the implications that come with the use of the phrase. To be honest, I just picked the first "hallowed be thy name" - synonym that came to mind and wasn't clear text.

I'm nevertheless quite convinced that the fact that the prophet did not want to be worshipped is rather negligible in this case, especially as I didn't have to explain it.

Thanks for doing that for me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how about some quotes?

Hmm lack of quotes in your article..... like this one for example taken from Neil Mawston, Executive Director at Strategy Analytics:

"We estimate Android shipped 13.4 million smartphones for 56 percent share of the United States market in the second quarter of 2012."

Notice that little word "estimate" in there.......... kinda voids the whole story really. nevermind.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Sadly...

The sad thing is that nobody can say Apple's increase is due to better design or software because they're busy spending more of their money on banning the right of the competition to exist.

On another note, has anybody seen the new Mac adverts featuring the 'Genius'? I swear I hear Jobs turning in his grave at the sheer Microsoftiness of them!

1. toadwarrior

Re: Sadly...

Yeah right. One phone out of how many Android models get banned and all of the sudden the whole market falls to fucking pieces. It's more like people tried Android, realised a budget phone is a budget phone (ie crap) and gave up on it.

1. vic 4
        Thumb Down

Re: Sadly...

Sigh

Sure there are budget android phones out there, there are also android devices that are technically superior and more expensive. This is something people have with android, a choice, they are not restricted to a couple of models. I own plenty of apple products and plenty of products from other companies, each have plus and down points.

And yes, the fact that apple have got a some devices banned that are popular in other has affected sales. Apple are using these to destroy the image people have of other companies. At least in the UK they were forced to publish ads pointing out that they were wrong about the ridiculous design claims against Samsung.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If Lucy Koh gets her way, we'd all have an apple phone!

Oi, Lucy, NO!

I prefer my phone, I don't get a "twat" label by being seen with it.

User base growing or not, I don't want one, don't need one. I know how to use my phone and the rest of my tech. I don't need it to be made fisher price for me to be able to use it.

1. Chad H.

Then for goodness sake don't buy one. its a freaking phone, not the bloody borg.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Doogie1

"I prefer my phone, I don't get a "twat" label by being seen with it."

No, you can rightly say you earned your "twat" label all by yourself.

6. DEAD4EVER
    WTF?

us and apples

Honestly what is it with Americans and apple's eh there obsessed buy them even if apple wins in the patent spat Samsung will still dominate in Europe haha. It's like apple is the only company Americans can think of when there's plenty of alternative phones ie Samsung galaxy s 3. I will never touch any apples ever ever ever.

1. Daniel B.
      Unhappy

Unless...

Unless the Apple troll patents get the S3 banned in Europe. The snarkiness in most of the commenters in here is lampshading this, that the iPhones are up in the market because their competitors are suddenly banned based on stupid patents.

1. andreas koch
        Pint

@ Daniel B. - Re: Unless...

Apple would never ban a company that they think of as a fair competition.

Has Apple ever said that Siemens copied the iPhone? No. Are they banned? No.

Has Apple ever said that Kenwood copied the iPhone? No. Are they banned? No.

Has Apple said that Samsung did? Yes. Are they banned? Yes.

There is the proof, Apple are not trolling. And they are fair.

1. marioaieie
          Joke

Re: @ Daniel B. - Unless...

You've missed a don't. It should have been:

"Apple would never ban a company that they don't think of as a fair competition."

1. andreas koch
            Happy

@ marioaieie - Re: @ Daniel B. - Unless...

No, I don't think so.

7. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Bloody Hell??

Americans are obsessed with Apples because they are status symbols and fashion accessories who's tech isn't state of the art in any way accept a retina display. Apparently, that's all Cook has. It's what he's deployed in the new iPad and the new Macbook Pro. So you can expect thinner with a retina display on the new iPhone 4G, along with an incrementally upgraded iPhone 4 design, which I do not believe will cause mass Koolaid drinkers to line up at the front door of the Apple store's like they did, post Jobs passing.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soon to be followed by the iPhone 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. etc. etc.

To find out the price of future releases if Apple wins its case against Samsung, take today' cost and multiply it times the iPhone version number.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It just works!

unlike those droids.

I wish the droid did work reliably ... but they don't. Sure I can work around the bugs, but why should I? They cost basically the same thing by the time the dust settles.

Make a more reliable droid, and they will come.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: It just works!

I have just had such a chance to marvel at how iPhones 'just work' helping out an in-law. I took a backup copy with iTunes, reset the phone, and was just about to restore the backup when iTunes spang to life, went through the activation procedure, and then took a backup thus deleting the backup I took. Yes, you're only allowed a maximum of one backup.

I think I'll take my chances with Android thanks.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: It just works!

Dan55,

It may be too late to save this now, but iTunes should keep 3 backups. When you put on a new phone, you should be able to choose to back up from the last but one, to get most of the stuff from the old phone. I can't remember how to do it now though.

Not that I'm saying iTunes is good, or this aspect of it isn't crap - because it's awful at handling multiple devices.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Have one of each......

It seems companies like Samsung spend a lot of their time creating gimmicks for their phones like face unlock. Things that don't really work very well and are actually slower than typing in your lock code or your swipe code.

Yes, lets all buy the phone with the most features as it makes life much easier (not).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Have one of each......

"...creating gimmicks for their phones like face unlock. Things that don't really work very well and are actually slower than typing in your lock code or your swipe code."

Oh, nothing like Siri then...

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dweeb's random casual statistics of the day

I went to see "Batman" tonight - not a bad flick. Before I went to the flicks, I had dinner at a cafe. The cafe was full at 6:30 on a Monday evening with punters eating before going off to see Batman or whatever. It was a middle class but funky sort of place, popular with students and ordinary folks alike.

I live in Denmark, a country where the homeless & unemployed can comfortably afford an iPhone if they wish, and where we have recently been subjected to overwhelming Microsoft/Nokia Lumia marketing. Like everywhere else, except for the one carrier whore which took the MS dollars, the carriers in general have simply stopped stocking/selling Nokia phones. WP is a dud (even though I personally like it for trying to be original).

Here was what I saw.

A 3GS and 4S at my table. Two white 4's at the table next to us to match the two white girls. The table of rowdy Americans and a token Dane included 3x4s that I saw. I noticed 2 waiters had time to consult their iPhones at the collection station (could have been early Galaxy's, given their superficial resemblence, but I doubt it). The cafe was in fact packed with Apple kit, including the only tablet I saw.

I failed to see even one phone that was not an Apple.

I failed to see even one Samsung phone, Galaxy or otherwise.

I failed to see even one Nokia phone.

I haven't seen even one Nokia Lumia phone in the wild - ever.

I saw a couple of phones, the provenance of which I could not discern.

Whereas 18 months ago, Nokia had a clear presence - and I mean they were everywhere - with it's highly successful Symbian phones, it seems folks have abandoned Nokia lately. This is consistent with the carrier's abandonment of Nokia since Nokia's "deal with the devil".

While I was in France last week, it was pretty clear that Samsung is the product of choice for the carriers there. I don't think you can actually buy a Nokia in France, at least it looked that way based on what I saw in people's hands.

Anyway, let's face it, the iPhone is fabulously popular and people are willing to pay to own one. In countries where the ability to pay is a given (Scandinavia for example), the product is very popular. There is probably a measurable correlation between disposable income and phone choices.

All the nerd bullshit on El Reg is NEVER going to change any of this, nor is the vitriolic bile (anti-Apple, anti-Android or whatever) that is spewed here constantly.

Bootnote: Go see Batman and chomp through an extra large bucket of popcorn :)

I would post a Beer icon, but ...

Dweeb

1. andreas koch
      Pint

Re: Dweeb's random casual statistics of the day

>

I would post a Beer icon, but ...

<

...Then why didn't you?

You know, I totally agree with your opinion regarding iPhones and forum posters.

Have a beer.

14. eSeM

It is obvious that everyone in the US was waiting for the release of the Galaxy S III .....

Next quarters results will be interesting.

:-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like