back to article Japanese fanboi builds FrankenPhone from 'bits of iPhone 5'

A Japanese Apple fan has created a proto-iPhone 5 by fixing together parts of the screen and casing which he claims were sourced from the iPhone supply chain. The results – posted on the blog iLab.cc – show a phone shaped like the iPhone 4 and 4S but with new features, in particular a silvered plaque across the back panel and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wowfood

Any phone manufacturers with the headphone slot at the bottom?

Maybe they can sue Apple for infringing on their design patents.

1. Timmay
      Thumb Up

Re: Any phone manufacturers with the headphone slot at the bottom?

Not a phone, but the Nexus 7 has. Go Google!

1. Mr. Great Sage

the Nexus S also has the jack on the bottom. (phone)

2. Ivan Headache

The original iPod Touch had the headphone socket on the bottom. I never understood why.

1. Lord Voldemortgage

I prefer the headphone socket at the bottom - everything seems to be the right way round when you reach into your pocket and pull the thing out and then the cable doesn't trail over the screen.

3. The BigYin

My old Nokia feature phone has the jack at the bottom.

4. HFoster

The galaxy Nexus has the headphone jack at the bottom.

Still, let's wait and see what Apple actually produce.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)

HTC Desire HD does too

1. Chris 171

Your all forgetting prior art means zip in this game.

Bits of paper ffs....

Will be interesting to see how the new port affects sales if true, how its sold too, if true of course.

Veering off slightly.. Bigger screens on smart phones are now null in the face of shrinking tablets tho surely? Just another black mirror slab.

Where's the things we promised in Earth Final Conflict?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing to shout about. Won't stop the iSheep claiming it to be the best thing since conception.

Looks pretty bland, not much different from the *yak* glass/steel of the last one.

See the back isn't glass this time. Suppose they've realised just how much of a bad idea that was.

Lets hope iOS6 looks nicer than sick splashed over ice.

The last update gave the sad excuse for a feature Siri, lets see what crap Apple comeout with next.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes steel and glass - I'd much rather that plastic cr@p that most other phones are made from.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An empty shell.

No more than a siren song luring unsuspecting consumers by their thousands onto the rocks of despair.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

So that's it?

Might as well wait for the iPhone 6 then.....

<Sound of another $2bn disappearing off round the U-bend>

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come on

Some guy in Japan makes a mock-up of what he thinks the new iPhone will look like, and this is news.

Slow day.

6. Martin Lyne

"Oddly, the headphone jack is located in the base of the FrankenPhone"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/23/iphone_5_release_date

"The source chinoise also said that the headphone jack will be moved from the upper left to the lower left of the iPhone"

7. Aaron Em
    Happy

"iPhones incompatbile with all sorts"

I should just about cocoa! Liquorice in the docking port? Dunno if it'll set off the moisture sensor, but you're going to get a funny look at the Genius Bar either way...

8. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Facepalm

ShinySHINY!

Ohhhhh, shiny,..... Shiny,.... SHINYSHINY!

Nah, will be over priced and over hyped, as usual.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i(m)Bored of reports like this which seem to me to just be about hyping something ridiculously overpriced and 98% (figure plucked from the air) too restrictive on what you can do (without a jail break, obviously).

I wonder if the reg was paid to report this?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

If you think that the article might bore you, don't read it. That is what the sub heading is for, to give you an idea of what the article is about.

On occasions when 8/10 articles might be about a specific product, some blog websites (such as Engadget) give you the option to read their site with all 'new Apple product' stories hidden.

And though I've never played with it, I believe there is something called RSS that allows to you only read the stories you are interested in. But don't quote me on this.

I hope the above helps you.

1. blofse

It is true and I do agree with your points.

I think this was more a ill placed protest as the main front page of the reg was plastered with apple related stories. But this is nothing new for the reg, they used to do that with M$. Now it's apple. Next it will be someone else I dislike.

So I should probably just quit my jibber-jabber and stop verging on trolling! If nothing nice to say then don't say it I guess..

10. peter 45
    Trollface

Hmmmm

Rounded corners eh? Good thing you pointed out it was an Apple. I nearly mistook it for the new Samsung.

11. Bush_rat
    Mushroom

Yes but...

Can I get rid of the f***ing weather app yet?!

1. Darryl

Re: Yes but...

Not unless Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decrees that you may.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My tuppence...

I think all manfacturers should put a micro USB and headphone socket at the bottom of the phone in a standard pattern.

That way all docks would be compatible and also when the phone is charging / transferring and you are using headphones, the connectors can be at the top and out of the way.

1. Bush_rat

Re: My tuppence...

A standard would be nice, but who starts the ball rolling, and for the bigger companies, why create a standard, when we can create a monopoly. Ask apple with their dock.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What happens when one puts it on the left, another on the right and a third in the middle - what about when one device is a phone and another a tablet - what happens when one is thicker / thinner - you get the idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: What happens when one puts it on the left...

You missed the bit about the standard, didn't you.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

What is the standard? the standard seems to be multiple ports in various locations.

If you want to have a device you can drop into a dock on a hifi or alarm clock the connector needs to be on the bottom. It needs to support remote control, needs to supply power, needs to have connections for audio and video out.

Give me the details of the "standard" connector that does that. It's a combination of headphone port remote, micro USB and HDMI output on non-Apple phones. It's not exactly nice to have to insert three cables when you can just use one.

1. KjetilS
          Facepalm

My Sammy S2 seems to do all that nicely through the usb port. No need for connecting hdmi or the headphone plug.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

They really ought to be *made* to start the ball rolling. Such blatant anti-competitive and consumer-harming practices stink.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>all manfacturers should put a micro USB and headphone socket at the bottom

Is a nice thought, but i can't see it happening- there is no motive for Apple, whose products are already supported, dock-wise.

The closest we can hope for is for Android manufacturers to knock their heads together, or maybe more support for 'USB Audio' - I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it is featured in Android Jelly Bean. Seems to require an external DAC though.

(A silly situation I encountered the other day was a Sony stereo system with an integrated iPod dock on top, and no means of connecting a Sony audio player with a 3.5mm > phono 'Y' cable. Still, it worked well in the iPod-owing household in which it sat)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All docks would be compatible - yeah you actually wrote that?? The connector is one part - the size / weight and shape of the device is another. Apple are actually better than most - they did a universal dock and you could get replacement inserts when you changed device (some devices actually shipped with the relevant part).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: yeah you actually wrote that??

Yup, in the same way that you can fit almost any iPod/iPhone into a Bose dock.

An industry standard, something like ISO and DIN for car stereos.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Careful, or that "Metavisor" plonker will jump all over you in a curiously boring manner; likely claiming the connector is in the shape of a unicorn and three feet to the left of the device. He sees dock connectors, all the time.

5. Fuzz

There's no real need for a standardised dock connector. What we need is for someone to sort bluetooth out so that you can control a media player nicely. I'm talking being able to browse a library of Artists/songs/albums etc. With transfer of track information and album artwork during playback.

Then sort out wireless charging and you're sorted. Just stick your phone on top of your dock and some sort of NFC initiated pairing happens and you're docked.

Recently I've found myself using my phone to playback audio in the car more than my ipod. Problem is that choosing music is a pain on the phone whilst driving where as the ipod is controlled by the car stereo.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile in other news

I build a GPO 746 out of Lego™

1. Alister
      Joke

Re: Meanwhile in other news

You could at least have made it an 8746, so it's compatible with PST

14. Gil Grissum
    Pint

BLAH

This is little more than a bloke mocking up a fake to get website hits. Maybe he makes money from every hit or from a certain number of hits. So a million Koolaid drinkers just went to his site to see the info and be as disappointed as I was from seeing this article and others on the same topic. An elongated iPhone 4 design with a smaller docking port, audio port on the bottom and a different back. BLAH. If this is the new iPhone 4G, Moto Photon Q, here I come!!!!

15. nick47

Stuff and nonsense.

They will never change the screen size. Never going to happen. I will bet anyone anything. NEVER!

16. Esskay
    Joke

The world we live in...

I never thought we'd end up in a world where the first 10 comments on a story for a leaked phone would need to be people citing prior art...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like