back to article Apple mulls over investment in Twitter

Apple has reportedly held talks with Twitter over the last few months in a move that could lead to a multi-million dollar strategic investment by Cupertino in the micro-blogging website. As noted by the New York Times, which cited people familiar with the discussions, Apple has failed to make a success out of its attempts at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris 171

#fuckoffapple

See title.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: #fuckoffapple

#flamebait #childish

2. Roger Stenning
      Flame

Thoroughly agree. Apple need to lay their mitts OFF, lest they bugger up something successfully that works with ALL platforms. Twitters success lies in the fact that it allows everyone, regardless of platform, to access its services. I can see, if Apple muscles in on this, that the platform availability would suddenly dwindle to one (iOS based only), and that all your personal data would suddenly 'belong' to Apple. Granted, this is a worst-case scenario, but the signs are all there: You just have to look with clear glasses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

lol twitter. what a stupid fad. ooh look at me I can put an SMS on the web, and not just any SMS, a SMS from before when a phone could join them together so you are limited to 140 characters. whatever next, a twitter device you can put in your pocket to receive tweets? awesome

2. Malcolm 1

I thought this had been largely debunked as being "old news":

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443343704577553953443264394.html

http://www.theverge.com/apple/2012/7/28/3198148/dont-believe-the-apple-invests-in-twitter-hype

http://allthingsd.com/20120728/neverland-no-twapple-and-no-twoogle-or-facetwit-for-now-but-happy-thoughts/

3. Pen-y-gors

Dodgy valuation?

Twitter isn't worth $10 billion.

To work out the true value of a business, take the actual capital value of its real assets (in Twitter's case, not very much), and add on an amount based on the likely return on investment over a reasonable time. Twitter are hoping that they may manage to get income up to $1 billion in a couple of years time (NB that's income, not profit). As Twitter is unlikely to be around in 10 years time, then it needs to generate *profits* of a couple of billion a year to justify a valuation of $10 billion - oooh, look, did anyone see that pig fly over?

Perhaps a few hundred million as a fair valuation?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dodgy valuation?

" take the actual capital value of its real assets (in Twitter's case, not very much)"

Come on, they are a US company, they must have some patents that are valued at $Billions ?

1. Pen-y-gors

Hmmm....fair point. But did they remember to patent the number '140'?

1. LinkOfHyrule
          Joke

The thing about twitter and its low capacity one-hundred-and-forty character limit is that...

Fuck I ran out of characters!

4. Silverburn
    Happy

I really can't understand why, in an online world with massive storage and big pipes, Apple are considering forking out on such a stupid fuc

<character limit reached>

5. Andy E
    FAIL

Non Story

I can't believe Register published this drivel. As the article says, Apple and Twitter have had talks in the past. These are not on going and are not active. Nothing happened.

Load of crap really.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I can't believe Register published this drivel"

I can, because the word "Apple" can be used several times in the text.

2. Silverburn
      Happy

Re: Non Story

I can't believe it's not butter either. It's so creamy and delicious!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

Do Twitter actually need investment? What for?

Also, if a company like Apple is taking large stakes in something like Twitter, I would have thought that could be rather damaging to Twitter, they'll probably loose all the use by companies like the BBC and commercial TV stations may start to demand payments for operating hash tags for particular programs.

I'm not a twitterer, but I'd say they were better off keeping the likes of Apple, MS, Google well out of their company.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like