back to article Watch Smarter: video guide to... SSD installation

An SSD is arguably the best hardware upgrade you can instal on any laptop or desktop PC. These hard drive replacements come in a range of capacities and prices delivering instantly noticeable improvements in performance along with enhanced reliability. Our exclusive video has all the info you need to go about the installation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nigel 15
    Megaphone

Trim

Enabling Trim?

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Durrrrr

If El Reg readers need help installing an SSD then they are of considerably lower intelligence than I had assumed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Durrrrr

Well done C Hill for insulting the 10% (or is it more?) of the El Reg readers who do not know everything

3. Dave 3

i want one

What make of caddy is that?

4. Daniel Owen
    Flame

I am with Mr Hill, if you can't install one you shouldn't be here

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Agreed..

Jesus H Christ, whats next, installing EDO RAM for beginners.....

Anyone clued up enough to understand the benefits (and pit falls) of installing an SSD drive does NOT need a psuedo nanny state video highlighting how to install one.

Slow news day???

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Agreed..

"does NOT need a psuedo nanny state video"

How about you stop being such a smug git?

Granted this is a bit noddy but some people I know will happily hack away at a Unix server worth thousands, think nothing of ripping it open and buggering about inside but then bizarrely balk at the thought of opening up their own home Windows PC. I've met two people like that and it's freaked me out each time, these weren't idiots it was just something about their home PC that stopped them dead in their tracks.

I came from the opposite end, I started hacking PC hardware when I was 15 back in the late eighties, so nothing much in PC land phases me. My old man, worked 45 years an electonics and electrical engineer still calls me up to ask about the more obscure points of PC tinkering, a bloke who could wipe the floor with me over electronics knowledge.

So shut up and accept that everyone is different each has their own ways of dealing with things.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pint

Thanks for your life history....Just FYI, i'm not a smug git but a highly qualified smart arse and if i had wanted to listen to an arsehole, i would have farted.

Have a beer and chill out....

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I also notice you do not have the bollocks to reveal yourself...

Hmm, says a lot that does.......

5. Jamie Kitson

erm

You left the caddy on the old drive.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: erm

Nothing wrong with recycling that drive as a backup medium - provided its not more than about 2 years old (I'd worry about reliability then).

6. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Good effort, yet slightly annoying

I like the way it's produced - nice, clean and simple.

It's not your fault that it hits one of my MAJOR issues with modern ways of presenting information: the data presented in the 2:40" that such a video takes I can scan in written form in well under 10 seconds, and that's because it has images. That leaves me 2:30 to do something else useful. This is not a specific complaint about this video, it's generally an issue with video instructions - the medium doesn't suit every occasion.

So, I guess it's OK for beginners, and well done, but a scripted summary would help for those who are by trade used to absorb such data in a heartbeat (assuming they need it, but it wouldn't be the first time people have odd holes in their knowledge).

7. Random K
    Pint

Thanks!

This is just what I needed today. Sent it off to the decidedly computerphobic father-in-law to give him a simple overview on how to install his new SSD. This is very polished, doesn't just race through everything, and has a very pleasant voice-over. Old news to most Reg readers I'm sure, but very handy. Cheers!

Checking TRIM and AHCI would be nice too, but those are things I can take care of remotely. I also doubt very much that he would have been happy about having to go into the command line.

8. TheProf
    Terminator

My mind is going............

I stopped reading a book on quantum physics to watch this. Now I'm worried that my data might be everywhere in the universe except where I expect to find it.

Totally agree with Fred Flintstone: why does 'everyone' have to produce a video when a series of pictures would be more digestible?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The story sub-title is a joke right?

When did SSDs become more reliable than a quality HDD? It hasn't happened yet no matter what artificial statistics that are used to hype SSDs.

There are compatibility and reliability issues on just about every brand and model SSD. There are also constant firmware update requirements, RMAs, BSOD, loss of capacity, etc. due to the fact that these consumer grade SSDs are "immature tech" according to AnandTech. I'd say maybe in 12-18 months SSDs will be reliable enough for many consumers but not so much for enterprise who has had some very bad experiences already with SSD failures taking down complete structures.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like