back to article Chunnel 3G launched for channel hoppers

2G and 3G connectivity is now available in the Channel Tunnel, so that those travelling from the continent can continue to use their blowers despite being 100m below the surface of the sea. Apparently, this is the first time such a special regulatory framework has been agreed, after 10 months of Channel connectivity …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Je suis dans le train" would be better. French speaking people found out that it's way comfier riding a train inside the carriages than on them... And grammatically correct, too. ;)

1. dotdavid
      Coat

Pah. French speaking people evidently don't have much experience of the overcrowding on British trains then do they! I think it would be much comfier on top, especially in this weather ;-)

Mine's the one with the cattle class ticket in the pocket.

3. Arrrggghh-otron

Monsieur...

Pour le roaming charges we say... Non.

4. Graham Dawson Silver badge

«Je suis sous la manche! Non, la manche! Oui, c'est merde!»

vous est ne m'a pas vu, d'accord?

1. Matthew 3

Je pense que vous will find that c'est properly titled "la manche Anglais".

(With apologies to Kilometres Kington.)

5. Steve Button Silver badge

No WiFi?

Surely WiFi would make more sense, as you have a chance to use your laptop / tablet for the 40 minutes you're on the train?? (and most people don't have GSM on their laptop + can't figure how to tether their phone or make it a portable hotspot).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No WiFi?

Of course it makes more sense - although it's nice to be able to SMS and make calls as well. You would think wifi should be possible.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will be a superb earner for the French cell networks they tend to parcel out their 3G data at exhorbitant rates usually with 3G laptop dongles for students etc, with auto payment-topups possible, and the top data packages aren't super-huge either, normally OK for just casual use on a phone handset, not so much for a laptop, I think 100MB is one of the starter packs, my how we laughed, gone in a blink.

They sometimes link it to ADSL WiFi routers so you you can swap over and don't murder your 3G data allowance while in the house.

I suspect the 3G in Le Chunnel will be saturated super-quick unless they give it a Really Big Pipe, better than normal parts of the 3G network. But maybe they have done this already, so the Big Money Pipe can take the 3G revenue in equally fast ;)

I think you would have to give them a really good reason to not have all that revenue.... and put WiFi boxes in, probably the only way is to have Some Other Company put in WiFi service as a competitor, no way will the cell companies volunteer, bear in mind at least one of the cellcos actually IS a Telco there ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like