back to article Microsoft Azure goes titsup across Western Europe

Microsoft Azure is having an up-and-down kind of day as the cloud platform struggles to get any work done. The services' dashboard reported that hosted services in Western Europe were hit, and said that Microsoft was "actively investigating the issue" at 12.09 BST. Two hours later, the status page said the firm was still …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. toadwarrior
    Trollface

Rather than a cloud platform maybe they should call it a slut platform given how often it goes down on you.

1. Bob Vistakin
      FAIL

Just whip out the spare

No-one will notice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zxDa3t0fg

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me...

or have public clouds been going down at an inordinate rate over the past month or so, Salesforce.com, Amazon EC2, now Azure?

1. DJV Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Is it just me...

Yes, the sky is falling! PANIC!

(or maybe just carry on using local/personal storage like most people with sense)

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Interesting

Googletalk out from ~ 3:40am Pacific, which is 11:40 BST. Azure is down from ~ 12:09 BST. Any connection? I can't believe that one uses the other?

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Happy

Someone remind me

Are we on Office 363 or Office 362 now?

5. William Hinshaw
    FAIL

Another clear demostration of why we can't "go to the cloud"

Can you imagine 4000+ people not being able to do the majority of their work because the "cloud" was down for two hours? The cloud is basically a "MAINFRAME" people and shouldn't ever be down except on a weekend for planned maintenance once in a blue moon at most. Two hours of unscheduled down time simply is NEVER acceptable for an enterprise. Two hours for some businesses is millions of dollars lost. If M$ wants to make a serious play for the enterprise or businesses of any size for that matter they need 100% reliability and if any down time is required EVER (and should ever be needed for the a Cloud Mainframe) there should be at least a month lead time and on a weekend that has a holiday like New Years to assure minimal impact on businesses.

If Azure could be made as reliable as the Mainframe days of old M$ could rake in the CASH big time and unshackle its self from depending on the success of Windows cause I think everyone can see that Windows 8 isn't going to be accepted by the enterprise masses with open arms.

1. P. Lee

Re: Another clear demostration of why we can't "go to the cloud"

A mainframe has lots of engineering in it.

"The Cloud" tends to be a bunch of pc's.

Mainframes are built for predictability and reliability over everything else.

The Cloud is about features, new, improved (& untested).

You get what you pay for.

6. henrydddd

Well

If da cloud biz goes bad for Microsoft, and da Windows 8 goes south, Microsoft can always regain their fortunes by firing all of their engineers and hiring lawyers and becoming the largest patent troll in the world

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Well

Don't even say that in jest! <shudder> It could happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Well

"Could happen"?????? Sure looks like they are already well on their way. They get royalties on FAT, Linux and Android, video codecs among many others. Microsoft makes more on Android than they do on WP and that will hold true even after Windows 8/WP8 is released.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did they upgrade their cloud to Windows 2012 server? Maybe they didn't have a touchscreen for the metro interface in it.

8. PeterM42
    FAIL

Are we surprised at cloud failures?

Emphatically NO!

It goes to prove the gullibility of IT Directors and other senior IT people who do not understand the basics of computers.

The cloud will NEVER provide a reliable business infrastructure. We proved that in the 1980's.

"Who sold you THAT?"

9. Lewis R

The "CLOUD" = One or More Boxes Hosted by Someone Else

The more people depend on remote boxes hosted by large, ubiquitous organizations, the more of these reports we're likely to see.

C'mon, people: Wise up. Invest in your own infrastructure & regain some level of autonomy.

1. Fatman

Re: The "CLOUD" = One or More Boxes Hosted by Someone Else

As long as my current boss is CIO; we will not even remotely consider the cloud. But, it never fails, some wet behind the ears wanna-be PHB gets the 'cloud notion'.

Which usually means that IT must disabuse this ID10T of that notion. Quickly. Firmly. Without mercy. If you think you can come into a `C` level conference, and bamboozle the CEO with bullshit about the cloud; you will get a serious `schooling` from IT.

These incidents are just more fodder in an ever growing folder of `cloudbursts`, and used to send those PHB's running out of the executive conference room in tears. Poor, newly minted PHB's going up against people who have been in IT for 15, 20, or even more years. They don't stand a chance.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

ensure cloud stable, heard some cats, Fthr Xms down chimney.

A fanciful concept only.

==

It's in the name.

There is nothing "Stable" about a cloud especially when underneath it is a whole lot of hot air from sales.

11. daddyd01

The "cloud" is rubbish. It's for lazy, cheap fools. I do not trust ANYONE with my data. Only I have access to it. If I used the cloud, who has access? Do I have access 100% of the time? Is it safe? NO to any of those. It's been proven time, and again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like