back to article CSIRO seas how Oz could wave goodbye to dirty power

In a month that’s recorded some wins for wave energy in Australia, peak research body CSIRO has now published a study suggesting wave power could yield as much as 11 percent of the country’s electricity by 2050 – if the cost and efficiency claims made for the technology are borne out in the long term. Its report, Ocean …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

2050: free flying cars for all and World Peace

It is always easy to make promises that you don't have to deliver on.

1. Captain TickTock

Re: 2050: free flying cars for all and World Peace

And Fusion and VacTrains doing Sydney-London in 1 hour.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

"The report sounds a warning on the environmental impacts of wave energy (with consequent knock-on effects for tourism, shipping and marine life)"

Wave-powered electricity generators must be removing energy from the waves. I can see how the generators can adversely affect shipping, I can see the potential to adversely affect tourism at surfing locations (e.g. Bells Beach), but I can't think of a way that it will adversely affect marine life. About the only environmental impact I can think of is slowed coastal erosion (which many people will see as a benefit). Maybe some other commentard can think of other environmental impacts.

1. Goat Jam
      1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: What environmental impact indeed

I think I see what you mean: that looks like a fine example of an artificial reef. Presumably it will attract marine life and increase local biodiversity, much in the same way as the "Rigs-to-Reefs" program and the "Reef Ball Foundation" do.

3. Robert Heffernan
    WTF?

WTF?

Why Lockheed Martin? They are one of those massive pork barrel companies that while having some awesome engineers at their disposal, are so bloated and administration heavy that its surprising that they produce anything at all.

There are plenty of great engineering companies within Australia that given half the money Lockheed Martin want could take care of the whole project with negligable slips in time and cost (who are we kidding here, all projects like this slip. Just Lockheed Martin would slip billions beyond estimate and years beyond deadline)

4. Captain TickTock
    Coat

I seas...

.. what you did there

This topic is closed for new posts.