back to article Japanese govt sucked dry for TWO YEARS by Trojan

The Japanese government has uncovered an advanced Trojan attack which may have lain undiscovered on its networks leaking confidential data for over two years. The Finance Ministry told the local Kyodo news service that the first infection came in January 2010, with the most recent taking place in November 2011, after which the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miek

"The Trojan was apparently undetected by the anti-virus software installed on the government PCs" -- Which vendor ?

2. RAMChYLD
    Mushroom

Just wow.

"The ministry has yet to identify exactly how the PCs became infected and has replaced the hard disks on all affected computers, the report said."

Wow. Replace all hard disks? No kill like overkill I guess.

Mushroom cloud. That's probably the fate of the old infected disks.

1. The obvious
      Mushroom

Re: Just wow.

Replacing all the disks with preformatted and preinstalled new ones gives them all the old HD's for forensics thich in the case of what appears to be a targeted attack on a government would not be overkill at all.

Bleedin' Obvious, surely?

3. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

I don't believe it. Bloated Plutocrats normally have a new PC at least twice a year.

4. ajgraham
    Mushroom

One word...

China

5. Chris007
    Coat

One Word...

Damn that's two

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data-stealing malware?

What Platform does this malware run on?

1. Rick Giles
      Pirate

Re: Data-stealing malware?

Seriously? You have to ask that. Dollars to donuts it's Windows.

I blame El Reg for not lazy journalism for not finding out more details.

1. Rick Giles

Er, I blame myself for not proof reading my flame.

2. wayward4now
        Linux

First thing I wanted to know was what OS was it installed on. I agree, most likely Windows, but it would be good to know for sure.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trust us...

We're the gubmint.

8. EssexJames

I give the new hard disk a week or so

So they give the users new hard disks, and they dutifully open up their old Outlook and download that funny file again (the one with the kittens, the cream, and the hapless contestants on the Japanese game show). And all of a sudden they're infected again.

1. wayward4now
      Holmes

Re: I give the new hard disk a week or so

It was that funny file with the half naked school girls. Only here in the US would there be kittens and cream.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like