back to article Sharp mulls mass layoffs amid $1.28bn loss fears

Sharp may consider laying off thousands of workers and flogging some of its Tokyo offices as losses swell. The Japanese firm is likely to announce net losses of around ¥100bn ($1.28bn) in the second quarter as its settlement in the US LCD cartel case adds to its woes, spurring the firm to consider restructures, daily business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joseph Lord

The TV business is brutal

It has been for years with big players making losses even as the sales were booming. Does anyone know if even Samsung is losing money on TVs? Last time I looked at their annual report it was hard to separate out the TV business from the other electronics products.

The competition has been so great that the Chinese brands haven't been able to make a big push into the market although we may see that one day. Foxconn is probably going to end up doing all the manufacturing for the Japanese brands so they make make a big percentage of the TVs even without owning the brands. [For import duty reasons (and to a lesser degree shipping costs) assembly of most TVs sold in Europe is done in Europe although the panels are typically shipped in from Korea or Taiwan.]

The competition is good for the consumer though, at least in the short term

1. Joe User

Re: The TV business is brutal

Samsung spun off its LCD TV division in February of this year.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/samsung-spins-off-lcd-tv-business-1064682

1. Joseph Lord

Re: The TV business is brutal

I'm not absolutely certain but I think that is the LCD display/panel manufacturing part being spun out (panels for TVs, phones, tablets) rather than the finished TVs part. It is also hard to get a look at how the combined TV panel and finished TVs combine in financial terms.

This topic is closed for new posts.