back to article Buzz: iPhone 5 arrives September 21, demand 'unprecedented'

Apple's highly anticipated iPhone 5 – or whatever the marketeers at Cupertino choose to call it – will be released on September 21, according to the iPhone rumor du jour. In addition, a new survey shows the pent-up demand for it to be "unprecedented." A Monday article on the French-language website App4Phone (Google …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David 45

Hype

Oh yes? The usual hype and cattle excrement preceding the release of an Apple product. Why do folk fall for this? "Unprecedented"? Who REALLY cooks up this blurb? I will not buy an Apple product - ever, especially after seeing their legal manipulations and cry-baby tactics when they couldn't stand the competition from Samsung and others, not to mention the dubious goings-on at their Chinese suppliers. Looks like the Jobs' mentality is still very much ingrained in the company's policies.

1. ThomH

Re: Hype

Kudos for admitting your bias, and you're quite right about the pointlessness of unattributed quotes, but Apple's Chinese suppliers also supply all of the major Android manufacturers. The one other company you mention is also notable for having been found guilty of leading a price-fixing cartel as recently as 2010 so I'm not willing to say either is better than the other from an ethical point of view.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you only take the time to comment on why you're not buying Apple products, or do you spend your weekends in shops explaining to them why you're not buying anything?

3. Ted Treen
      Trollface

OK David, we get it. You're w-a-a-ay too much of an über-geek to possibly value anything which is mainly aimed at the consumer market place.

Dammit, consumers are all sheep, and it's insulting to even think that the supercool cognoscenti would even deign to look at such items.

I admire and respect you so much, that if I had daughters, I would send them to you. I would crawl on my hands and knees to touch the hem of your coat, in order that the scales would fall from my eyes, and I could bask in the reflected glory of your super-geekery...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Come on Dave, you'll upset the baristas. They are all ready to spend their hard earned tips on the brand new shiny, and here you are calling them sheep... They aren't sheep, they are "creative"!

5. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

"especially after seeing their legal manipulations and cry-baby tactics when they couldn't stand the competition from Samsung and other"

...so I expect you will also be avoiding Android handsets in the future due to Google-owned Motorola Mobility's 'legal manipulations and cry-baby tactics' they are currently employing by taking Apple to court for patent infringement then?

6. Lallabalalla
      Thumb Down

"I will not buy an Apple product..."

Psst.... NOBODY CARES.

7. toadwarrior
      Trollface

Not everyone is cool enough to own an android phone which almost requires you to root the thing to get any real long term value and is plagued with malware and its flagship product, nexus 7, has a screen that goes fucked apparently if you dare use any real processing power.

No, that stuff is reserved for the hyper elite of society.

1. TraceyC
        Alert

Who says you *have* to root an Android to get long term value out of it? I have two Android handsets. One is rooted to get rid of the Verizon crappware. The other, from T-Mobile, has a usable enough interface that I don't see the need to root it. I'll concede the point of the carriers being far too slow in releasing OS updates for handsets (and sometimes not releasing updates at all), but even that doesn't force you to root your Android to be able to use it over the long term. It *is* possible, if non-ideal, to continue running an older version of Android on your device and still have it be fully functional. The premise of your argument is non-existant. It's also not relevant to the article, and hype surrounding the next iPhone.

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep, more perfectly good second-hand tech dumped on the scrap-heap due to fickle demand for the latest shiny toy. Current iPhones won't suddenly stop working on September 21st.

What a sad, facile little species we can be when we really try.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, because as we all know, people throw their old iPhones in the bin when they are done with them.

2. Azzy

Unprecedented? No.

By now, there is an established precedent for manic interest in iPhone releases. It's been that way with every iPhone release!

Now, if interest in the latest iPhone was low, and nobody was talking about it, and not many people were considering buying one? Now THAT would be unprecedented!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unprecedented? Yes.

The Changewave surveys have been running for long enough to document the rise and fall of Blackberry. And the June 2012 survey is the basis for "unprecedented". 50% more respondents "likely to buy" than for the previous iPhone, three times as many "likely to buy" as Samsung Galaxy S III.

2. Steve Evans

Re: Unprecedented? No.

This is unprecedented demand for the iPhone5. Never has a device called the iPhone5 been in such demand.

Also in the news, I'm reaching unprecedented levels of apathy. Normally I don't reach these levels until there are at least some basic specs on the new fruity product, but this time might break all records.

I can only guess the depths of abject boredom that I sink to over the coming months.

3. Don Jefe
    Happy

Lost Phone

Is everybody in the Cupertino area looking for one to be lost in the bar? It's coming! Be on the look out!

1. Martin Huizing
      Trollface

Re: Lost Phone

A horse walks into a bar. Bartender: "Why the long face?"

Horse: "lost my phone..."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hand goes up

I'll probably get one - not purchase literally, but through a deal. I haven't the time or energy to get wrapped up in the politics side of this debate, I'll get one purely because it's better than the alternatives out there for me.

1. Alex-TheManfromUncle
      Go

Re: Hand goes up

Ditto mate.

Buy one, skip one, buy one skip one (repeat)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Buy one, skip one"

If it were up to me I would just put them all in a skip.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "Buy one, skip one"

I'm guessing you aren't trusted with anything valuable.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you are certain that a phone we know little about is definitely better than the alternatives?

How did you work that one out? Maybe a side by side comparison of the features with 'no one really knows' for most categories for the iphone 5?

1. Chris Curtis
        FAIL

Or perhaps because he knows the iOS platform has worked well in the past and will support all the apps he has purchased already?

Vendor lock-in? Yes. But everything is vendor lock-in. WIndows is, as is Mac, as is Linux, so that argument is invalid.

Side-by-side comparison? Hhmmm.... the Android has 100mhz more processing power. Let me ditch the eco-system I have chosen to invest in to get that, Sure....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pity it will apparently not support all the accessories he has purchased already.

2. stanimir

as is Linux - lock in

What's exactly the lock-in and Linux, that makes no sense.

1. Lusty

Re: as is Linux - lock in

You'd be surprised, I'm migrating a Linux solution to Windows at the moment and the number of non standard things we have encountered is maddening. This company is spending a fortune to move away because it is so difficult. The data may be open and free but getting it out is MUCH easier with the "proprietary" solutions because the hobbyist programmers working on Linux never see the need for data export.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
              Holmes

> I'm migrating a Linux solution to Windows at the moment

WHY!

> because the hobbyist programmers working on Linux never see the need for data export.

Get it to and publish.

1. RyokuMas
                Go

>> I'm migrating a Linux solution to Windows at the moment

>WHY!

One word: FRAGMENTATION. On the WP7, we know what we're going to get: the chances of having to hack special cases into our code for a whole load of specific device/os version combos is virtually nil.

As an indie developer, I'd rather use what little time I have around my day job to write new games, rather than creating endless update patches because of problems on handset (x) that I probably don't own.

Haters gonna hate... watch the downvotes from the fandroids flood in.

2. Lusty

Why?

Because at the larger scale Foss solutions are not as manageable without expert and well heeled staff. It's too easy to create mess on these systems and too hard to tidy up for the average IT department. It's also considerably harder to query information from for the average help desker. I've also in all the years I've been consulting honestly never seen a Linux server which has been regularly updated. In my current project this meant that the old version of Samba would not speak to the new Windows domain. Since we are decommissioning the Linux domain, updating every system is an expense the customer was not planning on. I have many, many other examples of issues which have cost real time and money thanks to open source being used to cut costs.

1. Lusty

I'm confused by all the people downvoting my posts here. Are you all people who have done large scale migrations from Linux to Windows or vice versa, or just people who sit in their bedroom and quite like the idea of Linux? If you've done these things and your opinion differs then feel free to add a comment explaining yourself.

2. Anonymous Coward
              WTF?

"he data may be open and free but getting it out is MUCH easier with the "proprietary" solutions because the hobbyist programmers working on Linux never see the need for data export."

Really? Thats odd because Libre Office supports all MS Office formats. What others did you have in mind? CSV? Tab seperated? Yeah , those are hard to generate! Or maybe some weird binary format only supported by an app written by NeverErdOfEm Software for Windows 95 ten years ago?

I bet your an MCSE "consultant" who's persuaded some naive company that their linux solution isn't up to the job (plus you can't understand it) so you can charge them "maintenance" fees for years to come as they forever fightfire the mess that you've set up for them.

1. Lusty

No, I don't have an MCSE but I am a highly qualified solutions architect. If Office documents are your biggest concern then I envy you. I'm talking about migrating file servers, DNS, DHCP, Directory Services and other infrastructure away from Linux and open source solutions. These are not as simple as just changing a file format, they require careful planning to achieve minimal downtime and keep the users unaffected. We also have the challenge that it's a multistage solution with many users working remotely.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"solutions because the hobbyist programmers working on Linux never see the need for data export."

Or perhaps they allowed export to open standards formats but they couldn't export to the proprietry standards you require for your project because those locked-in standards are top-secret and cannot be given away without a signed NDA!

So perhaps the real issue started on the other side of the fence?

3. James Hughes 1

Odd.

People are saying they will buy the new iPhone because of their past experiences with Apple product so they assume it will be good. That's fine. I'd buy Honda again for the same reason.

However, the argument over 'it will continue to run all my favourite apps' seems odd. If all you want is a phone that does exactly what your current one does, then why not just keep your current phone? Why upgrade to a device that does exactly the same as your current phone, but adds some currently unspecified features? Is it just assumption that these features will be worth the upgrade? That's the bit I don't get.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Not odd at all. You are assuming that app compatibility is the ONLY reason for upgrading - as you quite rightly point out, why bother if everything is working?

Money invested in apps means that compatibility is simply something that is now part of choosing a phone, however there are other reasons such as simply having a faster, newer phone, along with the extra stuff that the iPhone 5 is rumoured to be bringing such as NFC, bigger screen, etc.

Personally my iPhone 4 is starting to show it's age (button is playing up for example) and I would quite like the idea of Siri, but couldn't justify buying the 4S just for that so I decided to skip that and wait for the '5. If it looks good when it's released, I'll buy one and give my 4 to my girlfriend (I'll probably end up repairing it).

If the 5 doesn't look worth it I'll just repair the '4.

2. ravenviz Silver badge
            Gimp

Actually my 3GS is just fine! And I have a 4S as a work phone and hardly use its newer features.

3. AJ MacLeod

Re: Hand goes up (@James Hughes 1)

This was exactly why last week when my two year contract expired on my current phone, I didn't "upgrade" to any of the devices on offer but went SIM only. NONE of the devices available were "better" than my current phone in that not one of them had a proper phone keypad - or if they did, they were dumb phones, without the smartphone features which I do actually use regularly (decent Email, GPS etc.)

Sadly most people buying a smartphone in our society really aren' at allt interested in how well suited it is to their actual requirements; their primary interest is in how shiny and fashionable it is. That the phone they had several years back probably did everything they actually needed and possibly better than the currently fashionable shiny glossy touchscreen toys is completely irrelevant. Sad, because manufacturers naturally pander to what these fools want and consequently produce devices which are sub-optimal for use in the "real world."

4. Rob Dobs
          Holmes

That's funny, you say "everything is vendor lock-in" and then mention Linux as a Vendor.... Linux is open source, as is Android, hence multiple vendors running similar/same software. I can buy an HTC and if I don't like it I can go to a Samsung, etc etc and still expect use the majority of the same apps and have an easy time transferring my data, contacts etc.

And he makes a valid point, this survey about people saying they are willing to buy the phone without having a set price or feature set yet, says more about the people than the phone.

2. h4rm0ny

If they have an iPhone 4 and they prefer it to any of the others currently out there and are used to it, then for them the iPhone 5 will probably be "better than the alternatives". It may not be possible to actually argue that a phone not yet released is going to be their best option, but for this reason it's a good working assumption.

But I am curious what would make the iPhone 5 so much better that they'd actually be willing to spend to upgrade. Presumably anything that runs on the new one would also run on the old one, so I would have thought the iPhone 5 is more of interest to newcomers than existing customers. Or am I wrong? (Genuine question, not looking for a reaction).

3. PsychicMonkey
      WTF?

this is the thing that gets me, how do yo know it'll be better for you?

How can you say you'll probably get one based on the fact it's better than the others (even when qualified for you) when you can't possibly know that it's better. This just shows that you have preconceived ideas of what it'll be.

With no confirmed specs it's impossible to know if it'll be great or shit, but 80 million people are apparently ready to part with a large wad of cash to own it...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"With no confirmed specs it's impossible to know if it'll be great or shit"

Rubbish - we know from that past five years what an iPhone is, and what it does. We've seen the preview of iOS6, and we know that the build quality will be good, and that it will work with all the apps we already invested in.

The only 'issue' with this new model is the change of form factor and dock connector. Firstly, there is an adapter for compatibility. Secondly what is the alternative? The design does not change - ever..? Where does that lead?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And will this adapter for compatibility allow it to fit snugly into all the devices that have slots for iphones?

Also the point is not that the design does not change but that there should be a good reason for the design change beyond a pathological need to lock down accessories as well as every other aspect of the iOS environment.

As to the other points the question is what besides the number 5 is going to make it so much better than the 4S? There is a limit to the number of times you can use the word 'again' in a slogan before it gets silly.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"And will this adapter for compatibility allow it to fit snugly into all the devices that have slots for iphones?"

Yeah you're right - better switch to Android because ALL of the connectors and chassis designs are totally the same...

"Also the point is not that the design does not change but that there should be a good reason for the design change beyond a pathological need to lock down accessories as well as every other aspect of the iOS environment."

...making quite the whopping paranoid assumption there aren't we?

"As to the other points the question is what besides the number 5 is going to make it so much better than the 4S? There is a limit to the number of times you can use the word 'again' in a slogan before it gets silly."

Oh shut up.

1. Daedalus2097

"Yeah you're right - better switch to Android because ALL of the connectors and chassis designs are totally the same..."

Well, maybe not all of them, but any Android phone I've ever seen has an industry standard USB connector on it for data and charging, and an industry standard 3.5mm A/V out (though sometimes only audio). Some larger ones also have a mini-HDMI, also pretty standard stuff. Not only that, my current and previous Nokia phones also have those connectors, as does my satnav, my car stereo, etc., and as a result they all work with each other's chargers, USB cables, video cables and so on. My iPod is the only thing I need a special cable for, and that gets very little use these days anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

So let's see you diss Sony then -

Go on - start any time.

2. TraceyC
              Meh

The fact that not all Android form factors are the same is irrelevant to whether a new Android phone will work in a dock that worked with a previous handset. Android accessories are built with these differences in mind, and work with multiple handsets. The advantage of a standard micro USB port is that one accessory can be used with any Android device. Just a couple of quick references:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383031,00.asp

http://bit.ly/LLHkuf

With the iPhone5, "will my new handset fit snugly into the dock I bought for the iPhone4" is a valid question. Apple prides itself on looks & "user experience", this fits into that. This question is one I would be asking, if I was buying an iPhone5. If I was in the market for Android accessories, I would also ask the question of whether my Android handset would play nicely with anything I was considering. These are reasonable questions consumers will ask.

Apple *does* have a demonstrated desire to lock down hardware & prevent user tinkering. I've seen this in the design of, say, the Mac Mini. Don't get the desktop support manager at my office started on that. I'm not sure that would be a reason they would change the accessories ports. On that point, I'm more willing to believe there actually was a technological reason, such as better motherboard layout. If they wanted to force users to upgrade accessories, they wouldn't make an adapter.

I find it ironic that you say "oh shut up" in response to what I see as a main question people would ask in relation to this article. What about the iPhone5 is an improvement over the iPhone4? What about the features of the iPhone5 would produce so much consumers demand, especially since they say this is "unprecedented"? I say that honestly, not sarcastically.

2. Chris T Almighty

You don't always need to look at a spec sheet, it's about ecosystems, apps, security etc.

I have a Galaxy S2, and I don't need to see the spec sheet of the iPhone 5 to know I won't buy one whatever the resolution/memory/processor. My wife has an iPhone, and again she doesn't need to see the spec sheet to know she'll prefer the iPhone 5 over a Galaxy S3. Horses for courses, each to his own.

1. NBCanuck
          Go

" I have a Galaxy S2, and I don't need to see the spec sheet of the iPhone 5 to know I won't buy one whatever the resolution/memory/processor. My wife has an iPhone, and again she doesn't need to see the spec sheet to know she'll prefer the iPhone 5 over a Galaxy S3. Horses for courses, each to his own.

"

Wow. Finally a true reflection of consumerism not plagued by fanboy comments digging at either company. Marketing can promote all of the new shiny it wants but, in the end, customer preference should win over marketing hype.

It's just too bad that there are few opportunities to actually try and compare working phones (fully actvated) in a store side by side. Advertising and marketing heavily cloud the waters and most people make their decisions based on whose commercial they saw last or wha their friends have. There is no doubt that the marketing departments are doing their jobs as most people are lemmings and desperately need the new shinies as soon as a new release comes out.

I'd like a chance for a fair comparison, but manufactureres wouldn't. That would negate a lot of the massive dollars spent on marketing. Selecting a phone based on what is actually best for you personally while ignoring the hype? What a concept!!

5. stanimir
    Joke

This is cool!!

This is cool!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Here we go again, all the iSheep foaming at the mouth. These people are no better, possibly worse, than a fundamentalist religious person. Brainwashed. Life is so much the poorer without their iPod / Pad, etc. How sad.

1. John A Blackley

Here we go again. It says 'Apple' in the article so we'll get the same comments from the same commentards making the same pointless arguments about the same stupid details that nobody in the real world gives a crap about.

Honestly! You people talk about 'brainwashed' and 'sheeple' and 'retards' and, like Pavlov's dogs, you all start salivating each and every time El Reg dings the 'Apple' bell!

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

@Frank 14

Go back to the top of this thread and read the comments. The first poster is rabidly anti-Apple, the second wouldn't mind but has reservations about their business practices... then we have a bloke who says that he will probably get one because he thinks it work as well for him as previous versions have... then a we have a bit of back and forth about system 'lock-in' and Linux...

Exactly which one of these posts was by an 'iSheep', pray tell?

If you do have a valid point, for example about the effect of screen-stroking upon social interaction, then please phrase it in those terms. People may agree or disagree with you, but at least you will have stated your reasons.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Here we go again, all the iSheep foaming at the mouth"

Look, we all know the products you like can't compete with the iPhone without stealing their patented tech and you feel bad about that which is understandable, but attempting to impose your will on people by insulting them just because they buy something you don't like just makes you look like a sour grapes idiot.

4. RyokuMas
      Trollface

Almost as bad...

... as the fandroids.

5. Amorous Cowherder
      Facepalm

Sadly you sound more like a stuck record, moaning and complaining, than any of them! They're not bothering you personally are they? No one's forcing one on you? So long as they do it in the privacy of their own homes and don't hurt anyone, where's the harm in people using their Apple kit?

I don't really like "iKit" stuff myself but my friends and family seem happy with it, they get stuff done so why should I spoil their buzz? Live and let live I say.

Now if you want some real arguments...I think Canon is better than Nikon and my ZX Spectrum has way more games than your Commodore 64!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Oblig. The Oatmeal's "What It's Like To Own An Apple Product"

Obligatory The Oatmeal comic strip - "What It's Like To Own An Apple Product"

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

1. Andy
      Facepalm

Re: Oblig. The Oatmeal's "What It's Like To Own An Apple Product"

you could change that cartoon to ANY product made by ANY company.. its pointless

8. Majid
    Joke

Rounded edges AND the headphone jack in the lower left...

I have resisted an IPhone up until now, but the headphone jack in the lower left feature put me over the edge...

Where do I sign up for this god-like device?

1. lurker

Re: Rounded edges AND the headphone jack in the lower left...

This changes everything. Again.

9. banjomike
    Meh

headphone jack in the lower left ...

... right where I hold the thing. Very useful.

1. Arctic fox
      Joke

Re: "right where I hold the thing. Very useful..."

You're holding it wrong.

10. Dave 126 Silver badge
    Pint

What more do people want from a pocket device?

When mobile phones first became ubiquitous, the features were much the same between the cheap and cheerful and the fancy- the distinguishing factor was size... the 8210 was tiny compared to a 3210, the 6210 merely offered better ergonomics, a bigger phone book, compatibly with the cradle you already had in yourJaguar and the possibility of upgrading to Bluetooth with a new battery.

That a mobile device should be able to fetch you such info as train timetables and weather in a non-fiddly manner is a no brainer- such services already existed in a ring-up-a-person-and-ask-them way.

But... now what else could be wanted from a phone? I asked my mate why he stuck his Galaxy SII on eBay just to get a SIII and he wouldn't / couldn't tell me.

1. r3ality66

Re: What more do people want from a pocket device?

+1

Exactly! if you already own an iPhone 4/4s even a 3Gs and you already know that all your apps will run on the iPhone 5, why would you bother to shell out the 500+ GBP/EUR for it? will it perform other miracles that your current iPhone doesnt? not likely.

I replaced my first smart phone (an Android device) with a Galaxy S because it broke. 2 years later and there still isn't a phone in the shops that will bring any more real world functionality. So I find myself waiting for a new Moto RAZR MAXX why? you guessed it the Galaxy S broke and the RAZR MAXX should do what my Galaxy did but for a little longer than a whole day....hopefully

2. Ilsa Loving
      FAIL

Actually, theres one thing that I would love to have but probably will never get.

Reliable telephony with no dropped calls, SMS messages that don't arrive 24 hours after the fact, etc.

1. mad_dr

I'm with you on that one but it appears that none of the major handset suppliers have you or I in mind as their target market...

11. john devoy

I'm really hoping that wp8 is big step up from wp7; i'm more interested in seeing how that turns out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only Microsoft could inspire such concern that the new product might not be better than the old one.

12. Brenda McViking
    Stop

Standard connectors...

...are not 19 pin for a smartphone. They're a micro-usb socket. Time for the EU to start a new campaign to make apple trump up the cash to right all the environmental wrongs they have and are continuing to cause by using proprietary, non standard connectors which directly contribute to the needless build up of electrical waste, and constantly annoy anyone who doesn't have the right plug when their battery is depleted around a friend's house.

As an engineer, it's my duty to ensure that products I work on have the highest possible environmental standards. Having a "converter" or whatever as they do currently is absolute rubbish, and flies in the face of the spirit of the environmental responsibility which created the need for standardised ports and chargers in the first place.

Yet another black mark for apple right there. If you're continuing the survey, no, I'm not buying one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Standard connectors...

not all MicroUSB connectors are identical. My HTC phone will only charge with an HTC branded cable. My partners Samsung supplied microUSB cable won't do the job. Several other ones I have tried suffer the same fate.

Pehaps the EU should go after HTC for not allowing other makers cables to charge their phones?

At least with Apple, the charging cable is their connector at one end and a Plain old standard USB one at the other. My old and battered iPod Touch has it and AFAIK, the cable hasn't changed for at least 4 years if not longer.

1. phr0g
        WTF?

erm, sounds faulty, My Desire HD and now my One X both happily charge from my Kindle cable and a generic ebay cable.

2. Mika Peltokorpi
        Facepalm

There is two micro-USB connectors. The standard one (D-shaped) and USB OTG cables (square one). Both of which can be attached to each other connectors without any issue.That is, if you do not take it as an issue, that wrong kind of cable is slightly looser than standard one and you will kill the connector in your phone in few months time. If your phone's micro-USB connector is used for charging, PC-connection and not to mention to upgrade your phone SW you clearly do not want this not happen.

This is classic case representing, why warranty is void if you do not use standard accessories.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hmm, either you're talking bollocks or your HTC device is broken.

My HTC Desire, Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7 all charge with the same cable quite happily. The cable is usually plugged into the USB socket of the iPad PSU that lives on my desk, too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not much of an engineer are you? Apple is surprisingly supportive of standards, but "non-standard" connectors have their place for non-standard (collections of) signals. Apple has had a USB connection on its chargers for some time, but there's lots of things USB doesn't do. Here's some examples of things the nineteen pin connector has done for consumers/Apple for the past ten years:

Data and charging via USB voltages/currents/protocols.

Data and charging via firewire voltages/currents/protocols.

Connection of video and audio signals eg to your TV.

Creation of a large and healthy accessory market.

Avoiding most of the problems created when punters try to charge with inadequate current sources.

Providing a continuity of customer experience while underlying technology evolves.

So the nineteen pin connector has been of huge benefit in managing the evolution of Apple's mobile products to maintain compatibility and interoperation.

Historical note: USB was at one time more or less dead in the water, despite being mandated by Microsoft for new PC's. Apple saved USB for Microsoft and Intel by leaving everything else (parallel, serial, ADB, firewire and the floppy disk drive) out of the original iMac. Retailers started stocking USB mice, floppies and printers, and USB was thereby slowly adopted by the mainstream.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not buying one - you probably never were. You make out like no-one else uses a proprietary connector - but I'm pretty sure it's for good reason - i.e. it 'does more' .

You can't just assume any charger will work - for instance some tablets need a 2a charger whereas the USB standard spec is 0.5a. It would be nice to think you could have one charger to charge them all - but seems impractical and probably inefficient to use a power adapter capable of 100w that charges a laptop to also be able to charge a mobile phone.

Most of their AC chargers just output to a USB port so you can switch the cable if needed - that is better than one with a fixed cable that would go to waste if you needed to charge a different device.

Think you will find Apples environmental responsibility is better than many other manufacturers - they have a proper recycling program, seem to support their products for longer. Remember the best way to be green is to reduce consumption - if you need 1 x iPhone over a 4 year period but would have gone through 2-3 'other' phones as they were no longer as supported which is greener?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I use the Apple 2a charger - a single charger can charge my iPad, iPhone, Kindle, bluetooth headphones etc. One charger and a couple of different cables - that actually is less wasteful than a lot of other manufacturers.

You can swap the plug easily to use it abroad (no no buying extra adapters) - it's actually a very good solution and I actually wish others would follow Apple and either not provide the AC adapter when it's not needed (Amazon do not ship a power supply with their newer Kindle) or just provide an AC adapter with a USB port so you can just swap the cable and use it with multiple devices.

I hate the fixed cable types - usually the cable is either too long or not long enough - I have very short iPhone 'dock' cables and Micro USB cables when travelling and longer ones when at home and the charger is plugged in near the floor and I want the cable to reach onto the desk.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop quibbling!

Apple or Android, both are still much, much better than the turd called Windows Phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop quibbling!

vvhich you know nothing about except for reviews by people you hate anyway, right Barry?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the Official Rumours are starting to come out...

... but what happens after we hit the Shoe Event Horizon?

15. Gwaptiva
    Mushroom

wow, and can you make phone calls on one?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Phone calls are so 1990.

I bet you choose a computer based on how much it feels like a typewriter don't you?

16. Stretch

stop it with these stories

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple haters say 'hype' every time a new phone is about to come out - how many times are you going to keep saying that until you realise some people like their iPhones - in fact a LOT of people do - not just 'sheep' and 'barristers' - many people do not feel the need to root their device - they want a smart phone that works well and is easy to use.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I want you to imagine you are a 12 year old with no social skills. Now imagine you have that mind set but in the body of a 25-35 year old body, but still a virgin due to still lacking social skills.

Now, wouldn't you be angry against anything that was popular?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So you are saying buy an iPhone and get laid - sounds fair after all everyone knows you get an iPhone and you are instantly better looking, more intelligent and successful.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not necessarily, (however when getting phone numbers of potential partners, it does help if your phone:

a) works reliably

b) is quick and easy to enter numbers, particularly while intoxicated

c) has a good cloud based backup system in case you lose it / drop it in beer

d) doesn't advertise that you are a miserable nerd with no social skills and misplaced priorities as you have to borrow their iPhone to be able to SSH into your own phone to unlock it.

...so I suppose yes, in a way the iPhone platform does facilitate getting laid.

Owning an iPhone does not make you better looking, more intelligent and successful - it just so happens that attractive, successful and intelligent people buy iPhones.

3. AJ MacLeod

Easy to use?

Despite having frequently "used" (or at least, set up) iOS devices for years, I think they're the least logical or easy to use out there. Unfortunately, their poor UI design has had a poisonous influence on most of the other devices available...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy to use?

...are you suggesting that Google have ... COPIED elements of iOS..?

Blasphemy!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple releases are a bigger deal than Android - new Android phones come out all the time from different manufacturers - not saying it's a bad thing but makes it more fragmented. If Android did one release a year there would be more made of it.

Android users seem to have to hate on Apple but I do not see it so much the other way - just remember we all have choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Android users seem to have to hate on Apple but I do not see it so much the other way"

Absolutely -

Ask an iPhone user which phone to buy - they will spend the time telling you why they like the iPhone.

Ask an Android user which phone to buy - they spend the time telling you why you shouldn't buy an iPhone.

1. RyokuMas
        Trollface

Buy a Windows Phone

... and they'll actually explain to you why the Windows Phone is good.

Sorry. But considering the amount of bashing the WP7 gets, I couldn't resist.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Buy a Windows Phone

I can honestly say I have never encountered anyone with a Windows Phone.

20. Senior Ugli
    Devil

Surely posting on a IT site like the Reg you see your self as having abit more computer knowledge than the average sheep etc So why go on about how apple is for joe blogs and the common idiot so much? let them enjoy their fart apps and facebook. Admire apple for being able to exploit idiots who really dont need a new phone queuing for it nights before its launch.

As a designer/developer I use my iphone for helping out on design and dev stuff, project management etc and im sure there are equally helpful android apps. Point Is, we are the super users and the public are the shit munchers.

Whatever your platform choice, we are the supreme looking down on the public idiots, stop bitching like little school girls.

Getting mad at hype about the new iphone? you try making a phone and marketing it so well.

21. Festimo
    Thumb Up

Apple

I will certainly be buying an iPhone as my next upgrade...why??

It just frikken works

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple

Unless you hold it wrong, apple cock up their DRM on their itunes server, the screen goes yellow, the battery explodes...

22. Eddie Edwards
    Thumb Down

Yay

So I can have a shiny new iPhone, except:

- it won't plug into my car stereo

- it won't plug into my various iPod docks

- it won't share charging cables with my iPad or other iPhones in the house

Why the change, and will there be an adapter for older accessories?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yay

Yes there is an adapter.

The change will more than likely be due to space issues within the design.

1. Eddie Edwards
        Thumb Up

Yes, I'm sure the extra licensing fees they'll earn from the new generation of docks and ICE connectors is just a complete coincidence :) At least now people will send the correct charging voltage in all cases (!)

Here's hoping the new dock connector has a decent end-to-end shielding solution on the signal lines. #nohope

2. Mika Peltokorpi
        Facepalm

Well - this kind of design solution is usually called as bad design. They just could not make it as one unit, so an adapter is needed. So there should not be a design restrictions driving this change. Business vise this is good move - as Apple owns the design of proprietary connector rights, they can charge OEM iAccessory manufacturers for right to use it. Also changing the design ow and then is good way to avoid extencive illegal use of the connector for example in counterfeit or non-approved accys. But design vise - it is not a good design.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Are you seriously expecting anyone to believe that the pound shop iPhone cable manufactures actually pay Apple for using their connector?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Assuming it's down to size - things must be getting pretty tight when they swap a SIM for a micro-SIM - so the dock connector is 'massive' by comparison.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple mobile device chargers have a USB socket, into which you plug the cable of choice, for your Apple or other device. Basic research fail.

1. Eddie Edwards

Yes, I do have an iPhone, that's why I said "charging cables" instead of "chargers" ...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't it funny how all the people claiming to be on the side of 'choice' and 'freedom' are the ones telling people what to buy.

How about you go and buy whatever phone you like, and I'll go any buy whatever phone I like.

24. Unicornpiss
    WTF?

Why?

Oh good, Apple's going to move the headphone jack to somewhere illogical and render everyone's existing chargers, docks, etc. obsolete. It's okay though, Apple fans love to buy more stuff...

I think I'll go out on launch day and replace my old Android phone... with a newer Android phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why?

The issue is you can't even get many docks for Android stuff - at least Apple have stuck with the same dock connector for a l-o-n-g time. People whinge when they want to move forward with Thunderbolt as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Docks for Android stuff"

What do you need a dock for?

Why don't you just use a 3.5mm headphone jack or other appropriate long-established industry standards?

QED, you're so indoctrinated by the shiny that you can't even see the plain stupidity of all this lock-in and control.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"What do you need a dock for?"

In that case why is it so 'bad' of Apple to change the dock design?

1. Marcelo Rodrigues
            Happy

Yes, I don't get it too! Why, oh why, the bloody thing should need a special cradle/connector/holder??

Link it trough bluetooth, and be done wit this! FFS, it's a phone! You will be listening to MUSIC, or (heavens forbid!) making calls!

Video? Well, you COULD... But, then, would be easier just to plug the HDMI cable - wouldn't it?

No, I don't like cradles. To whatever device - be it Android, Apple or another beast.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I'll let you into a little secret - evidently not many people know this, but you know the little iPhone dock that Apple sell? Buying it is not actually compulsory.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why?

Why is it illogical for the headphone connector to be on the bottom..? Personally I'm looking forward to using my phone at work while on charge with headphones without cables sticking out of both ends. Having all connectors on one end is more elegant.

Also if the phone is in my pocket and I'm charging it with my Mophie external battery, again I have two cables on one end meaning it will sit nicely in my pocket.

25. ReefMSX
    Mushroom

New Connector - Check

Larger screen - Sort of

Identical in looks to the Samsung Galaxy SIII - Very much so

Apple to sue Samsung for 'copying' iphone5 design - I'll be very surprised if not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What - have Samsung got a patent on 'rounded corners' now?

1. Monty Burns

You don't????

26. Monty Burns
    Joke

Any UK Judges reading this?

I wonder if it will be forced to boot up and say "Samsung did not copy this" as a splash screen?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Any UK Judges reading this?

I reckon they could seriously get away with 'Cooler than a Samsung'.

1. Monty Burns
        Thumb Up

Re: Any UK Judges reading this?

lol - that's probably true!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The main problem some people have with the new connector is not that it is a different design but the rumour that apple intend to introduce a system similar to HDMI such that anyone wanting to create an accessory that plugged into it would need to do a deal with apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Operative word = 'rumour'.

1. Steve Evans

Well rumour is the only thing feeding the annual iPhone n+1 fest, so why not allow some negative rumours along for the ride.

If Apple want positive publicity they can pay for it just like everyone else.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MEH

Fools and their money are easily parted...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MEH

Tell us, oh wise one, on what should we fools be parting our money on?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well I would, if you could phrase your request in a syntactically valid manner.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Remember oh wise one, I am but a fool! SHARE YOUR CLEVERINGS!

29. xyz Silver badge

Will you be able to make calls on this one?

I seem to remember somone forgot to put an ariel on the previous version or something. fnar, fnar.

can we have a picture of a gravestone in a turtleneck for jobsian related posts?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ariel

The new iPhone is endorsed by the little mermaid herself. She is, in fact, now even more powerful with non-biological action.

30. The Alpha Klutz
    Megaphone

they lie to you because they dont respect you

you: "wow i dont know anyone who wants to buy an iphone 5"

the tv: "everyone wants an iphone 5"

and they think youre that stupid that the next day you will believe it and go buy one.

scum!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: they lie to you because they dont respect you

I know lots of people who want a 5.

So there goes that argument.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

#don'treallycare

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah but..

What are the chances of the iPhone 5 being able to make telephone calls better than the previous iPhone, or any other make of mobile telephone?

Or considering that we apparently don't make voice calls any more, will texting be any better?

33. Furbian
    Meh

Too late... and maybe too little...

Obviously what I want and when I want it is no concern of Apple's but I when I got to try a Motorola Atrix last year, that was almost the same size as my old iPhone 4, but with a larger 4" screen, I switched to it. Since then I have upgraded to a Sony Xperia S.

However with Google having banned me from their 'Play' store, for not sending them a copy of my passport and bank statements in response to spam like e-mails, and that I still 'own' a lot of paid for Apple apps (and an account that still works, we still have our iPads') a spectacular iPhone 5 could make me switch back....

But then I love my aquarium wallpaper on Android, but I hate not being able to sync with Outlook/iTunes flawlessly... decisions decisions..

Oh no, now I remember how I ended up with the Atrix, it was free on Orange on a legacy £10 a month contract. So now I am used to 4" + screen and paying around £250 (the Sony) for a good phone, sorry Apple, but I'm too mean/poor for your products now.

Gory details of my Google 'Play' ban...

http://furbian.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-google-walletplaycheckoutwhatever.html

34. GotThumbs
    Boffin

Can you say.....Addiction? Apple is the drug dealer and its hooked millions of zombies

Any twit can see that Apple has created an ecosystem of control and it's millions of users are salivating over the next re-incarnation of Apples last IProduct even before the specs are known. Well, I guess not the millions of ITwits realize it.

Apple has successfully created IProduct fashonistas and I give them credit for that. It amazes me each time I see an IProduct user and how blinded they are to the fashionable prison they've willingly entered.

I guess the old saying.... "A fool and His/Her money are quickly parted" holds true...especially if Apple has anything to do with it.

I'll just keep watching from the outside thank you very much.

Best wishes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like