back to article Google plucks Gmail app maker Sparrow from the sky

Google has bought email application maker Sparrow for an undisclosed sum. The Paris-based startup confirmed on Friday that it had been acquired by the advertising and search giant. Sparrow said in a statement announcing the buyout: We care a lot about how people communicate, and we did our best to provide you with the most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Ball

sold out

If you're using the app then you yourself are williingly a customer (and product) of Google, so you can hardly complain that the evil monster has eaten up the little guy that you were so fond of touching up on your virtuous, non-aggressive Apple device.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: sold out

sparrow supported other IMAP providers, not just Gmail

2. CleatsAndCode
    Meh

Who knows

I use sparrow on the desktop for gmail and several corporate email addresses, and for me it is the best solution out there. I hope google don't mess with it too much...

3. tkioz
    Go

Sold Out?

Sure they "sold out"... but given it's GOOGLE we're talking about, who the hell wouldn't? We don't know the sums involved but it's likely enough to live on for multiple generations!

4. dotdavid

Bigger vision

"Now we're joining the Gmail team to accomplish a bigger vision — one that we think we can better achieve with Google"

"...and that is to build the world's largest bank vault, fill it full of money and swim around in it all day while quaffing champagne and munching caviar".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Solt out?

Apologies to Tool but....

All you read and wear or see and hear on TV Is a product

Begging for your fatass dirty dollar

Shut up and

Buy, buy, buy, my new company

Buy, buy, buy, send more money

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hurrah!

I've wanted a Windows version of this client for ages but they insisted on it being Mac only - maybe now I'll get my wish! Sick of trying to find a good mail client that can handle IMAP properly.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£6.99 ?

What does it do that the built in Apple mail client doesn't ? Obviously something that Google valued and thought it'd take their vast hoard of software engineers a lot of time to accomplish...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: £6.99 ?

A clean, minimalist user interface. Way better than Apple's Mail, Outlook or Thunderbird, but more to the point light years beyond the fugly gmail UI.

2. Tony 32

It has an existing userbase on iOS and a good reputation, in big business that is worth a lot!

3. spider from mars
      Unhappy

apple's mail client handles gmail very badly - doesn't do conversations or labels properly - both of which I can't manage my email without.

I'm pretty gutted by this, as it likely nixes the upcoming Sparrow ipad app.

8. tony2heads
    Alien

"pleasurable mailing experience"

Must be an offshoot of Sirius Cybernetics

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "pleasurable mailing experience"

It does make a lousy cup of tea.

9. Originone

"Sold out to Google - way to screw all your loyal customers,"

This guy like so many others seems to misunderstand the relationship between a business and its customers. Customer loyalty is not something the customer needs to be rewarded for, rather it is the businesses reward for providing a service/product that its customers are satisfied with.

He is also forgetting that the purpose of business to to make money, and I suspect that like most people if Google came knocking at his door with an undisclosed sum that in all likely hood is more money than he would otherwise see in a lifetime then he would take it and customers be damned loyal or otherwise. I know I would.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How likely is your hood?

In my part of the country hoodies are quite likely, especially outside spar in the evening!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like