back to article Huawei and ZTE scrap for mid-range UK market share

Chinese mobile manufacturers Huawei and ZTE each announced the UK rollout of their respective mid-range handsets last week, the Ascend P1 and the Grand X. Huawei's Ascend P1 packs a 4.3in touchscreen display with a resolution of 960 x 540. It comes running into the market with a 1.5GHz TI OMAP 4460 dual-core processor powering …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At the risk of sounding like a Huawei PR spokesman.

I wish I could buy stock in Huawei, the improvements in their phones in the last few years have been enormous and they seem to have gotten the price/performance balance about spot on for targeting the midrange lately. i.e. big screen and good enough to run ICS and almost all apps fine, but still cutting enough corners to sell it for dirt cheap.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stepping on the toes of the bigger brands

At £26/Month you can get an S3/One X/ [Insert other top end model].

Ok you can't get an S3/One X for £300.

But at that price point you're dangerously close to the bigger brands, which are typically running more advanced tech and implemented better, they'd need to be much cheaper to truely compete.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stepping on the toes of the bigger brands

What about last years SII and HTC whatever?

The SII is available on vodafone for £26/month, has pretty similar specs and software - but is a well proven phone.

It's nice to see new phones from other manufacturers introduced into the mid-range, but it seems to be more 'me too' rather than something new and interesting.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stepping on the toes of the bigger brands

I'd imagine the PAYG price of these phones will be closer to £200 than £300.

3. Mikko

Plenty of happy ZTE Blade owners out there, and quite a few will start looking for a new phone in the next year or so. No need for them to look for Samsung or HTC or whoever if they want to upgrade - ZTE is already a proven brand for them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like