back to article Like clouds, like Big Data? You'll love our tape library – Oracle

There's life in mid-range tape libraries yet, and Oracle has a new one, an SL150 chugging down data at 10TB/hour, faster than the competing kit from Quantum and Spectra. It's aiming the new kit at medium-sized businesses that are finding that they need a more grown-up storage solution. Tape libraries are used for storing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fatboy
    FAIL

1 Exabyte = 1000 (1024) Petabytes

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

1.66 factor increase in native capacity (1.5TB to 2.5TB, increased tape length and # tracks), times a 1.25 factor increase (optimistically) in compression ("2.0" to "2.5" - I have yet to see either in practice). does NOT, according to my math. yield an order of magnitude increase in capacity in the same library footprint.

PS no mention of NetBackup, but Backup Exec instead? Meh.

2. Christian Berger

USB Protocols?

USB protocols? What's that supposed to mean? Surely they cannot use the hardware layers of USB for anything that's remotely critical, and the upper layers aren't exactly stellar either. So why bother with USB when you can use simpler solutions. (e.g. low speed one wire interfaces)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: USB Protocols?

He notes that as the connector for stacking the expansion units below the base. Normally it's a proprietary connector or wire set. USB must have been an easier/cheaper idea that someone came out with. The base unit usually only has to be aware of what's below it to know the limits of the robotic arm so the usb interface wouldn't be used for data. Just to identify there are X expansion trays below with Y slots in them. Unsure if this jukebox will also take expansion trays with drives as well. So usb to me actually seems rather clever for them to leverage off.

3. Bronek Kozicki

off site storage ?

I suppose daily moving tapes to separate location is a no-no for such large libraries, and separate storage plants with separate tape library in each is the only solution here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: off site storage ?

That would depend on your requirements -- tape count to how often to send to a remote location. We clone the fulls and have the tapes moved to the cab. Someone then just grabs em and sends em on their merry way. For this jukebox, it appears you'd want to move the tapes you need to ship to one of the magazines that could easily be pulled to grab the tapes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like