back to article Google HARVESTS African mobile numbers with Gmail SMS

Google has created a not-exactly-secure Gmail-over-text-message service for use on old mobiles in parts of Africa. The advertising colossus said Gmail SMS will be made available to punters in Ghana, Nigeria and Kenya for the time being. Users of Google's webmail service in these countries can allow their inbound emails to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron Em

MY NAME IS JOAN S. MGUMBA I AM THE WIDOW OF NGAMBO D MAGUMBA THE FORMER NIGERIAN MINISTER OF THE INTERIOR AND IN THE NAME OF GOD I PRAY YOUR ATTENTION TO MY APP

[You're fired - Mod]

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. dotdavid
      Unhappy

Aw, that was the funniest series of comments I've seen all year. Now the joke doesn't really work :-(

1. Aaron Em

I'm a little disappointed too, if I'm honest. Granted it's not Friday yet, but...

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Aaron Em

I think you strayed over the line from funny to excessive. Nice try, though.

C.

1. Aaron Em

Suppose I don't see the harm, but fair enough; I'll go about my business.

1. diodesign Silver badge

Having had a pint after a long day, I realise I probably suffered a knee jerk reaction. So, sorry. I think we all learned a lesson here, or something.

C.

1. Aaron Em

No worries; I've certainly had enough long days and knee-jerk reactions of my own that it's tough to get too upset at being on the other end for once.

2. Aaron Em

(Besides, picking up a hundred or so upvotes over the course of the day, while enjoyable, would probably have distracted me from the work I really did need to get done, so it's really just as well.)

3. ItsNotMe
                Pint

@diodesign

Yep...WE did learn something.

HAVE THE DAMN PINT FOR BREAKFAST! That way, your head will be clear for the ENTIRE day...not just the last half of it.

Cheers....it's "beer-thirty! :-)

2. ItsNotMe
    Happy

So I can now CALL the guy in Nigeria...

...who has been sending me all those nice e-mails for the past 5 years?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol, cheap digs at Google day.

If your Google+ stream is empty, then its a reflection on YOU more than anything else.

And providing a free African email service is a bad thing apparently.

1. toadwarrior

Re: lol, cheap digs at Google day.

I think it's more about taking advantage of the poor tp boost thier numbers. But at least they can feel rich having thier data harvested by google just like first world people.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like