back to article ZTE claims it's hiring, not firing

Chinese telecoms outfit ZTE has hit back at rumours suggesting it will respond to sliding market share and a scary balance sheet by shedding 12,000 staff. Instead, the company says, we can expect a graduate hiring spree. The Shenzhen-based firm, which last week warned that profits for the first half of 2012 could fall by as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weasel-Wording / Fire 'em AND hire 'em?

First: "ZTE is not planning any lay-offs this year...we can expect a graduate hiring spree."

1. Weasel-wording.

(a) Perhaps the ZTE's press department ("we") isn't planning any layoffs, but the upper execs may be doing so.

(b) To say "we can expect" is essentially meaingless. I can 'expect' to find a pot of gold in my refridgerator, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

2. Perhaps they are planning on firing their older, higher-salaried workers, and hiring lower-salaried new graduates to replace them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who wrote this:

"ZTE is not planning any lay-offs this year and thousands of college graduates will join the company to work in R&D jobs, etc. The company is also committed to building up local employment in overseas markets, and continues to hire experienced local staff. To reinforce the strategy of internationalisation, ZTE is committed to promoting local staff to local management level to serve local markets."

The spelling is British English, not AmericaniZed. Having worked in PRChina, this is a rather unusual, yet welcome, change!

3. mhenriday
    Big Brother

«The US House of Representatives Intelligence Committee is investigating

alleged ties with the Chinese government after fears were raised that kit produced by the two telecoms giants could give back door access to state-sponsored snoopers.» Please do enlighten me, Phil - was the esteemed committee - the name of which hardly describes the qualities of its members (who have, however, shown themselves extermely clever at collecting «campaign contributions») referring to such «state-sponsored snoopers» as the NSA, the CIA, etc, etc ?...

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like