back to article XBMC media player now running on Android, Nexus Q

The developers of the popular XBMC open source entertainment hub have released a preliminary version for Android, which means the software could soon be running on a wide range of smartphones and tablets – even Google's Nexus Q media device. Though originally designed for home theater PCs, XBMC now runs on a wide range of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. parityerror
    Trollface

I can has APK?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

More like "I can has a fire extinguisher"

One of the reasons why I do not run XBMC as a media center is that it does not have proper idle handling. It just cycles through pretty UI pictures full blast when in idle. In fact on many platforms it will eat more CPU idle than playing. That may work fine on a console but stinks royally elsewhere.

Coming back to the idea of running it on a mobile device - if it has retained its original boneheaded design and lack of idle handling - no thanks. I do not want my android device to burn my knees or set the table on fire.

1. terd

Re: More like "I can has a fire extinguisher"

xbmc has had dirty region rendering now for well over a year, maybe even 2. Just because something was true a few years ago doesn't mean it will always been so, but as you get older you can get left behind ;)

Running on my atv1 power consumption idles at 10W

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As previously suggested, the above is bollocks.

3. Oolons
        Mushroom

I also agree above is bollox - my raspberry pi idles at 50% CPU on a beta openelec xbmc build - since the Pi uses 3.5W max then that is not much of an issue and the CPU is not even warm.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Woohoo!

See title

3. Gary Riches
    Happy

"originally designed for home theater PCs" - Funny, I though Xbox Media Center was originally designed for Xbox... The clue is in the name really

1. AbortRetryFail
      Facepalm

XBox Media Center

I was thinking much the same thing, but you beat me to it. :o)

2. The BigYin

They dropped the "xBox" bit a-g-e-s ago because it now runs on other platforms.

In fact, the xBox is no longer officially supported (due to problems with the developer system I believe) fortunately a spin-off keeps ye olde xBox up to date.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/

1. AbortRetryFail

Yes, indeed. But the point I think Gary was making is that it was originally called XBox Media Center and was originally for the XBox. You're quite right that the only way of running it on an actual XBox now is to use the xbmc4xbox fork though. In fact I did just that only last year for a bit of amusement and even got it outputting in HD. Then, once I actually had it running fine, I lost interest and never used it. D'Oh! :o)

4. david skinner
    Thumb Up

Did I hear a request for the APK?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/15/pre-built-xbmc-apk-is-available-heres-what-it-looks-like-running-on-a-nexus-q/

I've got it running on my Samsung Galaxy S3 but it just force closes on my Acer A500 tablet.

1. Eponymous Cowherd
      Thumb Up

Re: Did I hear a request for the APK?

Works on HTC Sensation and Transformer Prime

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never used it.

The XBox part of the XBMC always put me off, as I don't want anything to do with that brand.

Perhaps they should rename it, if it's no longer got anything to do with Xbox, so they can lose the stigma of anything having Xbox in the title being crap..

1. Trollslayer

Re: Never used it.

Get over yourself.

No one else is bothered, instead they acknowledge a great project by a lot of very dedicated people.

6. Trollslayer
    Thumb Up

A big step

Android is very different from the other platforms because of the virutal machine involved so it is going to take time for wide rollouts.

On the other hand this opens up so many possibilities that I count it as a major step forward given the number of low cost Android boxes coming out.

Well done!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Speaking of low cost Android boxes

http://m.reghardware.com/2012/07/11/ouya_android_games_box_nets_two_million_on_kickstarter/

If they ever really build it, it could make a nice little HTPC / console.

7. Trollslayer
    Megaphone

Allwinner (A10 chip)

Allwinner whose A10 xhip is used in Sumvision playes and a lot of tablets such as A1CS, Yarvik, Neuropad etc. have announced they will be working with the XBMC team to provide the hardware support.

This should open it up to lots small players.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like