back to article PostgreSQL packs record punch

The latest release of open source database PostgreSQL hit Monday, packing a claimed record number of new and improved features. That means 280 patches. Version 8.3 of the sturdy alternative to MySQL has been re-worked for developers, DBAs and users with improvements targeting performance and maintenance. Among the changes, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Woot, PGSQL FTW

I really enjoy the PostgreSQL database, it is such a well engineered database.

I can't wait to get stuck into the various new enhancements.

I spend very little time in the database when I build apps with PostgreSQL, things just go in smooth.

If PostgreSQL is not your day to day DB of choice you're just hurting yourself.

2. Geoff Mackenzie

Re: Woot, PGSQL FTW

Hear hear! Need to set up a test server for the new release to play with as soon as possible.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC1

"Woot, PGSQL FTW"

WTF?

4. Kevin Bailey

and a big thank you for the docs as well

Congrats to everyone at PG - and I thought I'd mention the docs/website as it is the best DB documentation I've seen.

Kev

5. DrXym

I love PostgreSQL

I'm not a heavy database developer so when I do develop, I want a DB that is as correct and robust as possible. Postgres fits that bill nicely. I can't say I've stretched it to its limits, but I'm done a lot of programming on top of it, mostly through hibernate and so far it hasn't let me down. The Windows installer is also great and comes with adapters for Java and .NET, a nice help file and an admin tool.

To be honest my needs could probably be fulfilled with MySQL but I look at all the backends, and the various things they do or do not support, plus all the legacy issues and I'd rather not deal with all that. I want a DB that works out of the box and one that is strict and correct about the SQL it takes.

6. James Anderson
    Happy

TPC = Infinity

I think Postgress should submit a TPC (Transaction Processing Council) benchmark.

If someone donated the hardware they should be able to get a Transactions per Second per Dollar score of infinity.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arse kissing..

PG is soooo wonderful, my tongue is sore from licking the network cable that brought this wondrous phenomenon of a new release to my computer, if only the port was just a little larger...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hmmm...

Do some of you lot work for or get paid to advertise PG?

>I really enjoy the PostgreSQL database, it is such a well >engineered database.

>I can't wait to get stuck into the various new enhancements.

>I spend very little time in the database when I build apps with >PostgreSQL, things just go in smooth.

>If PostgreSQL is not your day to day DB of choice you're just >hurting yourself.

Ooh - I love Postgress - it brings my whites up lovely

Oh yes, POSTGRESS it the best

I mean, really - c'mon it sounds like an ad from the 50's! Might well be true but soooo cheesey!

9. Kevin Bailey

No I don't work for PG

It's just that in a world of crap software the good stuff is REALLY appreciated by those of us who are trying to build stuff for others.

Kev

10. Geoff Mackenzie

I'm not a paid-for mouthpiece either

There's more than one way to get people to vocally support your product. Sure, you could pay them - but when you produce a modern, scalable, flexible, powerful and rock solidly reliable database server and let people use it for nothing, they'll tend to compliment you for nothing, too.

11. Angus Wood

It's a good system, worth checking out if you've not tried it.

You may wish to give PG a shot if you're one of the many people who've started off with MySQL and found it "fine but a little limiting". It does have it's niggles (I've yet to find a RDMS which does not) but it means that you can push a lot of things down in to the database layer that would generally done in code with less fully featured databases.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like