back to article Wouldbe Apple App Store killer WAC disappears into GSMA

The Wholesale Applications Community has been voluntarily subsumed by the GSMA, selling off its technology and giving up its independence. The app store which never was will now never be. The technology owned by the WAC, a platform-independent JavaScript-based runtime and a billing API with hooks into various network operators …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Tizen HTML5 framework is heavily dependent on WAC APIs

I wonder what Intel and Samsung make of this. Tizen is looking more of a lame duck every day.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opera implemented WAC in their widgets.

From what I recall.

You know the widgets they dropped because nobody was interested, and the ones that Firefox are now experimenting with...

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2010/12/22/

3. Tom 35

under the control of the network operators.

So herding cats.

No surprise it starved to death.

4. xperroni
    FAIL

This is why carriers can't have nice things

Political infighting... Substituting executives for engineers... Languishing in stagnancy while the world at large soldiers on. No wonder they've been driven off their own market by the likes of Apple and Google.

I have been critical of the "dump pipe" vision for data networks on technical grounds (I'd rather have Quality of Service than over-provisioning), but the more I have of the carriers' utter incompetence, the more I feel it serves them right.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like