back to article Intel prunes SSD prices

Intel has pledged to make its solid-state drives less expensive. It has reduced what it charges resellers for its 320, 330 and 520 SSDs. It also added a 240GB drive to the 330 line, which previously topped out at 180GB. The 330 series is pitched at consumers seeking a cheaper option than its better-performing 520 family. Alas …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stuart 22

Going Down ...

Very, very soon we are going to get our first 50p/Gb SSD offer on UKHotDeals. The decline since this time last year has matched anything I can remember in the IT business in the same timeframe. SSDs are going to regain the ground they had in netbooks and other portable stuff any day now. Performance and energy saving is going to knock all but the budget stuff in the sub-terabyte business.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Going Down ...

I doub the claim of "very soon". I heard the crowds cheering last year, when the flood worked into the HD plants, oh, we're going to see prices falling sharp, fast, oh, people are going to switch from hdd to ssd, it's right there, give it a couple of months, etc.

nothing doing. While the hdd prices have come up (we all know, blah blah blah), the ssd prices haven't "exactly" fallen, or not by any significant margin.

Unless the "very, very soon" is meant as "in the next few years, maybe".

1. jubtastic1
        WTF?

Here you go: http://techreport.com/articles.x/23149

Scroll past the intel graphs for the insignificant 50-66% drops over the last 12 months.

2. Stuart 22

"Unless the "very, very soon" is meant as "in the next few years, maybe".

Are you crazy? Prices are already around 55p/Gb. Falling at 50%/pa this means around a month - not many years. Yep something might happen to stop it - but how likely is that in a month?

2. flearider
    Go

your likes or samsung and crucial .. should drop it fast imo and corner the market as they make there own and can afford it ..

i'd love to get rid of my other drives and go fully ssd ..but 2tb atm would get me killed by the wife ....lol

3. John King 1

waiting for the time being.

My buying point will be when I can get a nice 512Gb for £150. Summer 2013?

4. Sithlord
    Megaphone

Intel drives now are hardly distinguishable from any other Sandforce based drives now. They stood out from the crowd once.. but no more.

Why bother paying a premium when there are cheaper alternatives from Crucial, Samsung.. which dont slow down when they encounter compressed files.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obvious timing

I bought an SSD last week, so of course this is going to happen now...

6. bobbles31

I wonder if a sizeable drop in SSDs will hurt new machine sales. I used to buy a laptop every other year but last time I was due for a replacement instead of shelling out over a grand on a new laptop I spent about £500 on replacing my current laptops drives with an SSD and a hybrid. As a result I now have a 3 year old machine that is as (if not not more) responsive than a lot of modern laptops.

Disclosure: I primarily use VS 2010 for work which is very heavy on disk usage.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like