back to article Patent scrap loser RIM ordered to cough up $147m

RIM has been ordered to pay up $147.2m (£94.3m) for violating a patent covering device management. A court in the US Federal District of Northern California ruled that the troubled handset maker's BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) infringed a design owned by Mformation Technologies. The nine-figure payout was calculated from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Schultz

Patent Nationalism?

The recent US court cases on electronics / design / software indicate a strong nationalistic bias. (Based on the cases reported on the Reg.):

US company versus US company (e.g., Apple versus Motorola): It's a tie, stop fighting.

US company versus foreign company (e.g., Apple versus Nexus or this case): pay money to US company or stop competing.

Foreign company versus US company: Case dismissed.

Is this real, or is it just my perception filter?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Patent Nationalism?

It's your perception filter.

But that does not make it any less real!

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: Patent Nationalism?

Not just recently: try looking at the Philips Philishave patent spat with (IFAIK) Remmington.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Stop

Catch a break? Seriously?

Are you joking, or do you not remember when El Reg called them "Lawsuits In Motion" because they were busy suing every man Jack, his brother, and his dog over patents?

Let's see, I believe they sued Handspring, Xerox, Motorola, Glenayre Electronics, Good Technology, and NTP, and that's just from a glance at their Wikipedia page.

It's definitely a case of "live by the sword, die by the sword" here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Catch a break? Seriously?

A lot of people seem to have forgotten the "Lawsuits In Motion" and that you don't make friends by suing.

It seems to me that no-one is going to help them, they'll just wait for the fire sale.

3. ukgnome
    Trollface

Hopefully this will be goodbye RIM - I never liked administering a BES anyway. Give me activesync any day.

1. Mark 65

I had an ipaq flashback then. Wonder if they could sue Apple over "i" usage?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like