back to article Microsoft sells out of MSNBC.com, plans to open own news pipe

Microsoft’s sold its stake in the 16-year online news venture it shared with US TV giant NBC. NBC has bought out Microsoft’s half of MSNBC.com with the partnership dissolved so both companies can update their online offerings. Financial terms have not been disclosed but the deal is reported to be worth £300m. Microsoft is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

yeh...

"Microsoft now preparing to launch its own news service this fall"

So long as there's no bias on reporting IT industry news ... anyone wanna wager on that one?

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: yeh...

Is it Freudian or prophetic that I misread the last word in the quote, with the first l becoming an i?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What will they call their new station, BingTV?

1. fishman

Could be worse

They could always call it XboxTV.

But we know it *won't* be called:

VistaTV

BobTV

KinTV

ZuneTV

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Could be worse

Turn the kinTV down it's deafening! There's nothing on kinTV nowadays anyway...

3. TheBoyBailey
    FAIL

"Microsoft now preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Visse said. The software giant is copying AOL, in owning the content creators to provide material for its sites."

Because that worked out so well for AOL, didnt it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lets hope they meet the same fate.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good news for NBC

No longer associated with the toxic MS - should be much easier to do deals with other companies now.

5. BillG
    Happy

Bad news for MSNBC

Before they bought NBC, Comcast tried to ditch MSNBC from their cable lineup. Turns out they couldn't because MSNBC is linked to NBC - businesses that buy advertising on NBC are often forced to buy ads on MSNBC as well (as if anyone wants to buy ads on MSNBC? HA!)

Now Comcast can finally kill off MSNBC. Microsoft saw this coming.

1. ItsNotMe
      Mushroom

Re: Bad news for MSNBC

And since Comcast took over NBC...it has COMPLETELY ruined several channels I used to watch.

The "Weather Channel" rarely gives weather reports any more. Just hour after hour of crap programming about fireworks, Alaska pilots, lifeguards, and other totally useless drivel. And the buffons now working "on air" are pathetic. Al Roker? What an arse. And let's not forget "The Italian Stallion", Jim Cantore. What a Narcissistic piece of work he is. And someone want to get Stephanie Abrams some De-Caf coffee please??!! Holy crap...she is annoying.

The "Versus" channel used to have lots of good sports programming, it now is filled with too many "talking heads" from NBC who are brain-dead.

"Universal Sports" has disappeared completely from the cable system...another really good sports channel gone.

And it goes on...and on. No wonder NBC's ratings are in the toilet. Its programming sure is.

6. IGnatius T Foobar

Less editorial bias now?

Hopefully this will mean that there will be less of the far-left ultra-liberal bias that MSNBC is known for. For starters, they ought to fire Chris "Tingles" Matthews. And pretty much everyone else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Less editorial bias now?

Then watch Fox news. People like you piss me off. You are a conservative and have fox news but good forbid any one else have a different view. God forbid some has a show to the left is. MSNBC liberal yes is to the left , ultra liberal no.

1. IGnatius T Foobar

The majority of the mainstream media has a liberal bias, MSNBC more so than most.

1. Shannon Jacobs
          Holmes

Gosh what a fucking moron.

However, I posit that the notion of scientific and objective journalism was a figment of the imagination. In a sense, you have to give FAUX credit for the "fair and balanced" slogan. Putting the lie right up front makes the big lie so much more impressive.

I'm not saying there is no such thing as objective reality and truth (or beauty). I'm saying there was confusion in thinking that scientific reality was a good model for news reporting, since much of the social reality is defined by social convention or consensus. You can't take a poll on the weight of the Higgs Boson. You just have to measure it. In contrast, FAUX news can report whatever poll results they can fabricate, and those poll results will influence the next round of poll results.

By the way, my first degree included sociology. One of the reasons I'm no longer involved with sociology was the realization of how difficult it was to create and administer a reliable survey. However, at that time I still thought there was some reality to be detected, and now I'm convinced social reality is more like the weather in relation to climate. There is a reality to climate, but you aren't going to live long enough to know what it is.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> People like you piss me off. You are a conservative and ...

Wow!

(Anonymous for the haters!)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

dude, chill out already. everyone knows msnbc has more left wing moonbats than any other cable news station.

2. Ilgaz

Start with browser bias

Whenever you went to msnbc with a browser or (God forbid) operating system Microsoft didn't produce, you had less features, bad rendering and even had to monkey with their win media videos. I talk about times when Netscape was clearly sinking and ie declared domination. Microsoft clearly showed their true culture.

Their sick, childish, unprofessional culture hit that site so much that even today, it isn't in my "sites to browse to check news" list. seriously, just figured, I never ever visited that site on a mobile or desktop for months.

Good job Ms (!)

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

MSNBC

Never heard of it.

8. FuzzyTheBear
    Pint

Its own news service this fall

This is their next screw up Microsoft is a software company .. they fail almost everything else they try

Why would they do any better this time ? I cant wait the endless articles about Linux being dead though may be worth having a look for good laughs :D Personally .. think this one's going to be just one more failure on their scoreboard. MEanwhile .. time for suds.

9. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Brand alignment? Product integration?

The late Steve Jobs never managed to pull off a seamless TV/Internet Appliance integration. And Apple (under Jobs) was the master at integrating hardware, software and services with an intuitive UI.

I'm not betting on Microsoft pulling this off either. In fact, as soon as Microsoft figures that they aren't selling additional copies of Windows, they'll give up right there.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like