back to article Pod slurping licks a*se antlers to claim Oz word of the year

The powers that be down at the Macquarie Dictionary have voted "pod slurping" as Oz word of the year 2007. The neologism was joined on the podium by People's Choice Award winner "password fatigue", while "infomania" and "carbon footprint" each attracted an honourable mention. Sadly, the splendid "arse antlers" had to make do …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Flame

Nice one Lester

I'm surprised you didn't manage to squeeze 'Mobe' into that article somewhere.

Must try harder :P

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

But...

Surely 'ipod slurping' isn't a word? Looks like a short phrase to me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Counting.

One problem, "pod slurping" is two words, and thus cannot be "word" of the year.

1. "pod"

2. "slurping"

Had they gone for "arse antlers" I'd have let it lie.

4. Tim Lake
    Unhappy

Ok and...

What the effing heck do these mean?

5. Gilleain Torrance
    IT Angle

I like "henchgoon" even though it's just two words rammed together.

I feel sorry for AI researchers trying to train their programs from web content, though. It must be hard to distinguish valid text from spam, and illiterate speech from archaic.

6. DZ-Jay

@Gilleain Torrance

And thus we get AmanFromMars.

-dZ.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Not very PC

Sorry have to pull you up,

BUT brainstorming is no longer allowed by the PC police, it offends Epileptics, regardless of if one is present when said slogan is mentioned and is now referred to as "Thought Shower" unless another group of people decide it is offensive and a new Slogan is produced.

You have been warned, repeat offenders are forced to watch Newsround* in a Continuous 24x7 cycle for 30 days, with only water and thin gruel as sustenance in an effort to re- educate in what is acceptable to say out loud.

For non UK types Newsround is a Childrens News Program which is presented in a simple non offensive manner to allow the pre teens to keep up to date on world affiars. And are interviewed for thier opinions on the state of the world.

jacket please - mine is the High Vis with the clipped on hard hat, knee and elbow pads with gloves tied together through the arms

8. Paul MacLeod

Arse Antler definition

It's a tattoo on a girls lower back above her arse, usually some sort of Celtic theme going from one side to the other and pointing down to the....umm...exit. Also known as a tramp stamp.

Put this and some of the other great colloquialisms together and you have an interesting sentence. For example, give a girl with a tramp stamp some tart fuel (Bacardi Breezers, Cowboys etc) and there is a good chance you will get lucky.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I loveitloveit!

Can KevinKegan make it into the sport section? Enough blamestorming. At least they're all complete words even if they are jammed together. There's probably a new "double" word that means jamming words together (wordslammin'?). It's when we get the mobile phone "wnr f txt msgwrd o t yr is mwkeka :-)" we've got to draw the line...

10. Quinnum

Pod-slurping? Arse-antlers? Tart-fuel?

Did they poll a group of pissed bogans down in Tassie for this list ?

As an Aussie, I can't say I've heard of those...

11. Alex Rose
    Coat

@Paul MacLeod

Surely you mean that if you give a girl with a tramp stamp some tart fuel you could be in for a good pod slurping.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

All Hail

I for one welcome our new pod-slurping overlords *bows down*

13. Mr Larrington
    Paris Hilton

Could be worse

Could be "w00t"

14. GrahamT
    Boffin

@AC

"There's probably a new "double" word that means jamming words together "

Not so new; Lewis Carrol invented the phrase "Portmanteau word" in 1871 for this. A portmanteau was a case with two compartments, and is itself a combination of porte (carry) and manteau (coat). The word he used it for was "slithy" a blend of lithe and slimy.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Pod slurping'

Sounds like a new word for teabagging.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=teabagging

16. James Pickett
    Happy

Picky

But pod slurping is not a portmanteau word - it's still two words and likely to remain so, a point that, amazingly, seemed to escape every one of these:

"Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sydney, Professor Gavin Brown

Dean of the Faculty of Arts at the University of Sydney, Professor Stephen Garton

Publisher of the Macquarie Dictionary, Susan Butler"

One can only conclude that, as with Sir Les Patterson, cultural standards are somewhat lower in Australia...

17. Ellen Carlsen
    Happy

Epileptic ?

If you're really going to be politically correct about using the word brainstorming....

I'm not an Epileptic, I am a person with epilepsy :-)

Everyone who's opinion I've heard and has epilepsy isn't insulted by brainstorming. It's a fairly good description of what's going on in my brain when I have a tonic clonic siezure after all LOL

to be even more pedantic - epileptic describes a type of seizure. I'm not a siezure! I have a continuing tendancy to have epileptic seizures (There are other types!) so I have epilepsy.

Ooo

Soapbox alert, and nothing to do with slurping!

Oh.

I dribble when I have a TC so maybe it DOES involve slurping :-(

From 'I am going to educate the world about Epilepsy if it kills them. Of boredom'.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ellen

Cheers learnt something new there :) I will get back in my box

This topic is closed for new posts.