back to article Oracle UK boss ousted to channel after 'sales slump'

Oracle UK and Ireland boss Dave Callaghan has been switched out of his role amid claims that the Blighty wing missed its sales target by about ten per cent. In a straight job swap, Callaghan has been handed control of EMEA channels and Dermot O'Kelly has moved in the opposite direction to take the hot seat. The exchange …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Could someone just explain

What this 'Channel' thing is all about?

I mean, no doubt it's something like 'cloud' - something we've all been doing for a few decades (apparently paying someone else to host your website is 'going cloud' now) but presumably some tosser whose shirt collar is a different colour to his shirt thinks a new word is in order to justify hiking his own pay packet. So really, just, WTFAYBOA Reg?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Could someone just explain

Actually, I'm with you there - anon, cos in my job I really should be able to write a definition myself without resorting blindly to Wikipedia, but maybe this answers it:

"Distribution of products takes place by means of channels. Channels are sets of independent organisations (called intermediaries) involved in making the product available for consumption [1]. Merchants are intermediaries that buy and resell products. Agents and brokers are intermediaries that act on behalf of the producer but do not take title to the products.

A firm can design any number of channels. Channels are classified by the number of intermediaries between producer and consumer. A level zero channel has no intermediaries. This is typical of direct marketing. A level one channel has a single intermediary. This flow is typically from manufacturer to retailer to consumer."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like