back to article Google pushing Jelly Bean updates to Android devices

Google is pushing out the Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" upgrade on Wednesday, but only to customers who have the unlocked version of the Samsung-built Galaxy Nexus mobile. According to a post on the Nexus team's Google+ page, owners of Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ devices should receive a prompt to download the update "over the next several …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. eSeM

Checked a couple of times today but not a Bean yet :-(

1. LarsG
      Holmes

A way to ensure people buy new phones, promise updates that never arrive, then say the updates are not compatible, so if you want the new OS splash out on a new phone.

Or

Make them wait so long for the update they give up and buy new.

That's marketing for you. Though I have a question, can you sue for loss of expectation or get your money back?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fandroid down vote for speaking the truth!

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
          Boffin

The Truth? You can't handle (or recognise, apparently) the truth.

My three year old Samsung Galaxy S is running ICS. I expect it to be upgraded to JB this year. This is the power of proper open systems.

Yes, it needs a little work on my part, and a little knowledge. Too much for you, I take it?

GJC

1. SuperHoopMango

Re: The Truth? You can't handle (or recognise, apparently) the truth.

This is true... I currently run ICS on the Galaxy S, and am aware of JB builds taking place at the moment. I expect JB to be available in the next couple of weeks....

It will deffo be going on my phone!

2. amehaye
        Stop

Hear hear. My Galaxy S2 just got its ICS. And Samsung hint there will be no JB for it, even though similarly spec-ed devices (Nexus S, GNex) did get JB.

Hear me Samsung: I don't care for your TouchWiz. Give me the kernel sources, along with all the drivers binary blobs for JB and I will be very content with CM10.

If however you choose not to release kernel sources, you will lose me as a customer. And everybody that listens to my advice. Do the wise thing. Keep your customers happy.

1. Durdy
          Meh

Seeing as there is a lot less work to do from 4.0 > 4.1 compared with 2.3 > 4.0, it's pretty lazy if they don't release 4.1. It'd be nice if manufacturers were more frank about it though. At least with Nexus devices you know you're likely to get the update, or a community based release.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Umm

So you've read the source code in detail, and know how the new graphics engine interacts with the GPU, and how viable the GPU in each phone is, or are you just going "duh, well, 4.0 and 4.1 look nearly the same.. teacher, I glued my head to my shoulder!"?

Gallery, peanut, screw the.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Go

Go get Clean Blank Rom...CBR. Based on the nexus ics release and built for galaxy s2. Developer is also looking for a Jelly build in the next month or so. I have been using it for a couple of months and have been a complete convert.

3. KjetilS

... or just use CheckFus to download the official ICS ROM from Samsung and install it with Odin.

I changed mine from a Telenor ROM to a Nordic ROM using that.

Howto here

4. pepper

Amehaye, so why not root your phone? I dont really see the problem with rooting a phone and updating it yourself. I installed NITDroid on my N900 and it was quite a painless process, I just had to do some formatting via the terminal and mount a new partition in maemo.

I cant imagine it being any more painfull then that for people that already have a android telephone. A buddy of mine whom doesnt tinker in the same way with computers managed to get his old HTC updated with cyangenmod I believe.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Promised ICS

Promised ICS last year, still not here, do you hear!

Now JB? Suck it down baby cos it ain't coming to a mobile near you

Unless you shell out for a new nexus.

1. Mark .

Re: Promised ICS

Most Android phones don't run vanilla Android. If you bought a phone that runs say Samsung's TouchWiz, then it's the releases of new versions of TouchWiz that should concern you - the release dates of the basic Android versions for those phones are no more relevant than say, MS announcing a pre-release of Windows 8: a taste of what's to come, but not the finished product for your phone.

If you want a phone that runs vanilla Android, then yes, you should have bought one that does, like the Galaxy Nexus.

Perhaps there is an argument that it's a shame that more Android phones or even all phones don't run vanilla Android; on the other hand, even as a Galaxy Nexus owner I have to say that Samsung do add some nice stuff. One of the many good things about Android is that you get choice, right?

I don't think the delayed rollouts are a problem anyway - it would only be an issue if it meant Android lagged behind other platforms in features, but this doesn't seem to be the case, on the contrary, it's way ahead in many areas. Meanwhile, Apple might get IOS updates out quickly, but when features like copy/paste, multitasking and even the ability to run apps were delivered years after the competition received them, I don't think the quick update counts for much.

1. Rob Beard
          Linux

Re: Promised ICS

They may not run vanilla Android by default but chances are they can run a custom rom of some sort which is fairly close. I'm running CyanogenMod 9 on my Galaxy S (I think it's ICS 4.0.4, not entirely sure without digging it out and checking it) and I gather there is a Jellybean port underway although it's running it isn't exactly usable as a phone (from what I read on the XDA forums things like callling doesn't work at the moment).

Still I'm fairly hopeful that JB will eventually make it's way to the i9000, albeit un-officially. As for TouchWiz, I thought I'd miss it but actually I'm not.

I do wonder though when it will get to the point where the latest Android will run so slowly on my phone like running Windows XP on a Pentium II with 128MB RAM :-) (in which case I guess it'll be time to upgrade, hopefully to a LTE capable phone if I can hold out long enough).

Rob

2. Peter Johnstone

Jellybean on the xoom?

I'll believe that when I see it, Motorola still haven't rolled out ICS to the UK, despite it being available in the US since January.

1. Simon Buttress
      Go

Re: Jellybean on the xoom?

I got sick of waiting for Motorola UK to pull its finger out so I flashed to the US Xoom GED ROM. Totally different device, fast, smooth, reinvigorated it. I am astounded by it. Jellybean will be here soon so I'll probably continue to use the US ROMs until the UK ones are available and swap back when they are. Trust me, go for it, you'll not look back at all.

1. Peter Johnstone

Hi Simon,

Already had :-)

I wouldn't swap back though as we'll be months behind for future updates.

Still a disgrace the UK update still isn't available despite being scheduled for the 2nd quarter of 2012 in a document that was updated on the 2nd of July:

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

And by the look of it not even in he testing phase yet.

2. LeeS
      Go

You can put the US Xoom ICS on it (without rooting), I did and have not had any issues at all. All you have to do is use more locale to add GB keyboard and thats it, everything else works perfectly as far as I can tell.

Yes Motorola have let us down but at least there is an option!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Anyone else bored by these crybabies yet?

I mean if you want the Apple upgrade experience, buy a network-agnostic Google Nexus from Google.

If you cheapskate and get a subsidized network operator handset, you should expect the operator to meddle with the process. If you buy a non-Nexus device from a network operator, then it's even worse still.

Don't get me wrong, Android is by far the best mobile OS, but you get what you pay for....

1. amehaye
      Meh

Re: Anyone else bored by these crybabies yet?

Not so easy...

I bought an unlocked phone. However since it is not a Nexus, it is uncertain whether it will be getting future updates. However the Nexus devices are not for everybody. The GNex, for example, has no support for SD cards, has a screen which in my opinion is sub-par compared to the GS2, etc etc.

Why can't we have it both ways? Give me a decent hardware and Nexus-level software support, and I will recommend all of my friends to buy that.

1. dotdavid
        FAIL

" bought an unlocked phone. However since it is not a Nexus, it is uncertain whether it will be getting future updates"

Definitely a problem. I got an unlocked Xperia Ray for my wife because they promised ICS, and claimed to have been rolling it out since May. No update for pretty much anyone in the UK yet though.

I later found out that Sony (and incidently Samsung) supposedly won't update the SIM-unlocked handsets until every operator in the country has signed off their variants of the firmware for use on their networks, supposedly to prevent network incompatibilities as an unlocked device *could* be used on any network. So from going from being the first devices to get updates unlocked devices are now among the last.

It's almost as if the operators don't want people to buy unlocked handsets....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you get what you pay for with Android, eh Barry? You pay nothing for Android, so by your logic you get....??

4. Joseph Lord

Can you use Jelly Bean without a Google Account?

I would be interested in the new Asus Bexus tablet but Google already knows enough about me from my searches. I don't want it knowing about where I am, who I communicate with and what apps I use (they can know what I install from their store).

How Google free can I be with stock Android?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can you use Jelly Bean without a Google Account?

Maybe you should spend your money on tinfoil. That's probably your most pressing need.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes - the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) does not contain any of the Google applications. Not a great experience though.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know what you're saying but take your pick. Everybody who supplies smart phones can do exactly the same thing so you have to decide who you trust most with your data, Apple, Google or Microsoft. Either that or just don't have a smart phone.

1. Joseph Lord
        Big Brother

Re: Re: Can you use Jelly Bean without a Google Account?

@AC 22.23

Tin-foil hat? Are you suggesting that Google don't collect and store data from Android devices? Or that I should just trust them with creepy amounts of my personal data based on their "Don't be evil" policy? Or something else?

@AC 7.15

At the moment I'm using Apple and I trust them to be Apple (locked down to some extent to protect their revenue stream but about selling hardware not primarily about processing my data and using it for ads). I can also sync and backup to my computer and limit and control which functions of iCloud I use. Finally the fact that they are not Google who already have significant data about me from searches, I would rather two different companies have substantial data than one having almost everything.

The new Nexus 7 looks like a good product but I will resist for now. I think Eric Schmidt talked about Google collecting data as far as isn't creepy; for me they have crossed that line.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

At the moment I'm using Apple and I trust them to be Apple (locked down to some extent to protect their revenue stream but about selling hardware not primarily about processing my data and using it for ads).

Oh my! Someone obviously hasn't read Apple's Terms and Conditions. I hope they HUMANCENTiPAD you.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Oh my! Someone obviously hasn't read Apple's Terms and Conditions."

Difference being is that Apple isn't my search engine. Don't think for one second that Google couldn't produce everything you ever searched for ever and then you go and conveniently supply with data such as where you are, who you communicate with and here is their phone number as it's in your address book, your credit card, address, everything.

Seriously - fuck google and their noseyness.

2. Joseph Lord
            WTF?

@Stike Vomit

I'm genuinely curious if you could explain any specific Apple T&C that are worse for privacy than the equivalent Google T&C. I suspect that BOTH are awful.

The issue then is managing who gets access to what data, and my personal choice is to spread it between the two. It could be argued that this is a bad strategy as both Apple and Google end up with creepy amounts of data that either can abuse or can be exposed if either is hacked whereas going with Google only would leave only one vulnerable point but I would rather try to keep each one's data collection the right side of creepy to the maximum possible extent.

Then we get to the trust issue. This I base on history and primary business models/incentives. Both have an incentive to gather data on users but for one it is the PRIMARY business model and their stated purpose is to organise the world's information. To the maximum possible extent I would prefer to minimise their access to and organisation of my private information (as opposed to publicly published information). Apple on the other hand makes most of its money from selling hardware, they have not yet been caught intercepting communications.

Without jailbreaking an iPhone I think that you can entirely avoid using any Apple network services (except the App Store assuming that you want apps). You can turn off iMessage, not enable Find My Friends, or Find my Phone. You don't have to use their sync services or Gamecenter. iCloud syncronisation can be completely disabled or enabled for particular data types. You can sync and backup locally with your computer. I think that apart from the App store and software updates you could completely avoid sending ANY data to Apple with only a slightly degraded experience. My original question was basically asking the extent to which this is possible on Android.

5. utomo

Still many use old version

still many gadget using old android version 2.3

including some new gadget. Google need to look at this and push them to use the latest version, at least version 4 ice cream.

example samsung galaxy Y, and many china brand

6. David Hicks
    Linux

To those not about to get Jellybean...

... have you considered CyanogenMod?

I'll certainly be looking to them for updates for my Galaxy Note rather than Samsung.

1. Afflicted.John
      Stop

Re: To those not about to get Jellybean...

Cyanogen for the Note is very much sub-par at the moment. Too many bugs and it just does not click quite right. After a couple of weeks of RC1 I had to go back to Stock ICS 4.0.3. that said, there is good noises coming out form the 4.0.4 German ROM...

A poll on XDA listed the majority of Note owners running with a stock RMO oweing to the potetnial Brick issues...

Sorry to hijack the thread...

1. David Hicks
        Linux

Re: To those not about to get Jellybean...

Given you're the only reply...

Yes, I heard about the possible brick issue, and I wasn't going to go CM yet anyway as CM9 is not released and CM9 Note support is definitely not released. I think it was only a couple of weeks ago they announced beta support for the S-Pen. I also don't have an issue with the stock firmware, now that I've loaded up Apex-loader.

But by the time CM10/JB is ready, these things may become a little better, and that would actually be a reason to try a non-stock ROM. Maybe.

7. bazza Silver badge

Mobile Software Upgrade Strategy rankings

Note - this is just about the upgradeability of the OSes, not the quality and usefulness of the devices themselves.

1st) Microsoft

By standardising the hardware platform MS has created a good ecosystem into which they can push updates. They can do so rapidly and uniformly so that everyone gets the latest. Hopefully they won't spoil it by letting the mobile network operators get in the way. If they choose to crack on with the job they could rapidly catch up with the others. Early days yet, and might establish a reliable track record.

2nd) Apple

Having their own hardware platform has allowed Apple to put out updates fairly regularly. They lose points though in having botched it a few times, and in artificially disabling new features on old handsets. It is disappointing to see the jail breakers getting them going without too much difficulty, exposing Apple's naked exploitation of their market.

3rd) RIM

Being in a similar position to Apple they have the same opportunities though haven't actually made all that much of it. Upgrades seem to be dependent on the network operators too. Plus there is the big question as to whether they'll be around long enough to make anything of this. A shame, their offering would be fantastic if they could respond quicker.

4th) Android

And last. The fragmentation of Android has ruined any prospect of a controlled update strategy. This has driven the homebrew sector, but clearly this isn't workable for the majority of handset owners. Clearly this strategy is remarkably successful for the manufacturers, and disguises a naked market exploitation even more cynical than Apple's.

By market share:

4th, 2nd, 3rd, 1st. Not quite a complete reversal, but it goes to show how easy it is to persuade people to buy something inferior and then sell them another that's only slightly better. Samsung must be laughing all the way to the bank. They get the profit from selling phones, Google get the blame if there's bugs, and Samsung can sell another phone to fix the bug!

1. Joseph Lord

Re: Mobile Software Upgrade Strategy rankings

Errmm? Haven't MS announced that current WP7 devices won't get WP8 at all? Have they even announced a future update plan for WP7 after WP8 launches?

I don't remember the Apple botched updates unlike MS. And MS do seem to have had some significant operator related delays. Yes with Apple you might not get all the new features on the older models but in some?/most?/all? cases their is a hardware factor. I believe that the 4S has extra noise cancelling hardware to make Siri work better. I can understand with such a risky feature (in terms of customer response) wanting to only to offer the best possible experience.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

1st) Microsoft

I'm sorry, what? Did you miss the fact that Microsoft just recently shafted every single WP7 phone owner by ruling them out of an update to WP8? Or are you just being willfully ignorant?

1. Jim Coleman
        Meh

Oh keep your shirt on!

Existing WP7 phones received the Nodo, Tango and Mango updates and soon will get ANOTHER update to 7.8 which brings the v8 interface and other stuff which hasn't been announced yet. The reason 8 isn't coming to existing handsets is for a similar reason that newer versions of Android or iOS don't support older hardware, i.e. the hardware isn't capable of supporting it. 8 supports NFC, higher screen res, removable SD cards, multicore processors etc etc so of COURSE you're going to need a new phone. Existing WP7 phones are no more obsolete than any other existing smartphone that won't receive an upgrade to the latest OS and there are PLENTY of those. At least WP7 phones will get another update to 7.8.

So quit your moaning, what MS are doing here is no worse than what anyone else does.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Windows

"So quit your moaning, what MS are doing here is no worse than what anyone else does."

Hello Jim, I wondered when you would show up... No, it actually *is* worse because MS had sole responsibility for specifying the (now apparently obsolete) WP7 hardware requirements.

Oh, and I'm not moaning. Frankly I find this whole WP episode HILARIOUS!

1. Jim Coleman
            Meh

Actually Microsoft only specified the MINIMUM hardware requirements, manufacturers were free to do better if they wanted - same as with Android.

And if you think the state of affairs with WP is so amusing, have a look at this...

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

This pie chart shows that 10% of Android phones have the latest version.

In contrast, 100% of Windows Phones are getting the latest version.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

1. Anonymous Coward
              FAIL

"In contrast, 100% of Windows Phones are getting the latest version."

That is total and utter bullshit, and you know it! The truth is that 100% of Windows Phones will NOT be getting the latest version (which is WP8). They will in fact be getting WP7.8, which is basically just a 'WP8 theme'.

1. Jim Coleman
                Meh

Actually the latest version of Windows Phone is Tango. Fact. I have it on my HTC Titan right now and it is, as I said, being made available for 100% of existing WP devices.

You're getting your knickers in a twist over a version of the OS that isn't even available yet! Heck, even WP7.8 isn't here yet, and even THAT is coming to 100% of Windows Phones.

You can throw your toys out the pram as much as you like when WP8 finally gets released, but don't pretend WP8 is the current version of WP, that is still Tango.

2. Rob Beard
          Facepalm

Officially my Samsung Galaxy S doesn't support ICS according to Samsung anyway. Doesn't stop me rooting the phone and installing it. Heck ICS runs on the G1 phone (1st gen Android phone with a 528MHz CPU and 192MB Ram)...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-57327393-264/first-generation-phone-runs-fourth-generation-android/

I'd say that in that case ICS should in theory run on other budget Android phones too albeit maybe a little more slowly.

As for WP 7.8, how long will that be supported for with apps? With no official upgrade path past WP 7.8 it leaves the owners pretty screwed (although I also found that some developers are working on getting Android running on the Nokia Lumia, considering the spec of the phone I'm sure if they could do it the hardware would handle ICS pretty well).

Rob

1. Jim Coleman

"As for WP 7.8, how long will that be supported for with apps?"

All current apps will continue to run, plus any new apps written for WP7 will work in both WP7 & 8 so initially at least, devs would be best off continuing to write for WP7 until WP8 usage takes off. I expect that by the time WP7 app creation stops, most people would have upgraded their phone anyway.

"With no official upgrade path past WP 7.8 it leaves the owners pretty screwed"

No it doesn't, their phones will still work, still have access to the marketplace, still be able to download new apps. The presence of WP8 does not suddenly make all the WP7 phones stop working. I think you overestimate the importance of updates to your average punter. My wife and daughter, for instance, refuse to upgrade their phones to Tango because they can't be bothered and the phone "works fine as it is".

I personally like to keep up to date, but then I'm a techie and I upgrade my phone every year, so I'll be getting the Nokia flagship WP8 phone when it launches in a couple of months.

3. squilookle
      Stop

@bazza

Firstly, it's really not possible to rank the different OSes in the way you have and present it as fact. For you, MS might be #1 because of the reasons you stated, but for others, Android might be #1 because they can grab the source code or a community build and install that.

Secondly, my phone is still running Gingerbread and tbh, I don't care. It works as well as it did when I took it out of the box and it does everything I need it to. Having said that, I wouldn't mind an upgrade either, but I know others who would probably prefer that the UI of their phone did not change and so would not want to upgrade.

The different phone makers/OSes have very different strategies to updates and the different strategies suit different people. This is good - it is choice. If you want the latest OS, make sure you pick a handset that will get upgrades, or be willing to root your phone and install other builds yourself. If you aren't bothered or want to save some pennies, then you can buy a that won't get updates, but which might end up costing a little less.

No need to rank them and present it as fact. Everyone has their own list.

1. bazza Silver badge

@squilookle

"Firstly, it's really not possible to rank the different OSes in the way you have and present it as fact."

Yes it is, I just did! And as if to to prove my point you go on to say "Everyone has their own list".

Android's record on security is comparatively poor. Most people would like their personal data safeguarded, and updates are central to that in this day and age. Not having any personal data on a smartphone at all seems counterintuitive - what's it for otherwise!? So in whose best interests does Google act? Seemingly not its Android users.

1. squilookle

@bazza

I'll clarify: I'm not saying that lists cannot be made, I'm saying that they cannot be presented as fact. Your list is your opinion, not fact, as is any list that I or anyone else could come up with.

I see your point on security, and while I'm sure updates to the OSes have security/bug fixing elements, they don't have regular, dedicated security updates in the same way as the desktop OSes do. For that reason, I believe you have a point, but I don't believe it necessarily elevates WP7 to the #1 spot in this area. I believe issues with Android security stem more from people downloading malware from Google Play than from lack of security updates. I have personally had no such issues and have been using Android since early 2009.

I'm more concerned about losing my mobile and having someone get into it with physical access than I am about remote access, tbh. Android allows you to lock with a pattern and I'm sure all the other OSes have similar features.

8. Silverburn
    Meh

Just got ICS for my Note. Can't see anything on the JB spec list to give me an urgent desire to update.

Now if it could give me 12 hours usage under moderate/heavy usage, *that" would do it for me.

I do have to confess though - as a recent Android convert from Apple - I do prefer Apple's "available immediately to all" approach. Why can't Google do the OS releases (as per Apple), and the manufacturers do their own "bloatware/UI tweaks" seperately?

1. Only me!

Butter....give me butter

The one thing I want is the Butter project stuff in JB......makes all the screen transitions nice and smooth...mmm....like butter melting in my very hands!

I have a Xoom UK, but now it thinks it is a US one.....so nice update on its way in a couple of weeks :-)

2. chipxtreme

Apple can do the immediate to all as there's only a couple of devices with known hardware so making an update that will work on those few devices will take very little work. With Android there's loads of manufacturers each using different screen sizes, different processors, different amounts of ram, different chipsets to support all features on the phones which all require different drivers to support them.

I just got rid of my Nexus to get an S III, so will have to wait a bit for JB, but i'm not going to sit and cry over how long Samsung take to release it as chances are once Cyanogen release a version for S III i'll probably switch to that, then maybe go back to stock JB once Samsung release it.

3. Mark .

For starters, most phones don't run vanilla Android, so at least we should be going by the dates of when things like HTC Sense or Samsung TouchWiz are released. I don't see how it's possible for manufacturers to do that separately, and it's also nothing that Apple do. And if you consider it bloatware, then buy a Google device that gives you the vanilla Android.

The staggered rollout is then that there are thousands of Android devices, compared with a mere handful of Apple phones, so it's not unreasonable to take longer.

I do agree though, it's annoying if there's extra delay added by the networks. I have a Galaxy Nexus, but I only received the latest 4.0.4 sometime after it was commonly available. I guess I'll see what happens with 4.1.

9. Peter 26
    Headmaster

What have we learnt?

The problem is we (and probably Google) assumed when Android was released that being open source everyone would get updates ASAP due to the openess. Nobody really got into the details of exactly how, but hey it's open source! Well it has taken a few years, but we have now seen that's this is not the case.

I'm fine with that now I know. If you want software updates go for the latest Nexus. If you don't care about the updates then you get more choice over handset.

I have noticed more and more people coming round to this way of thinking. I fully expect in a years time for it to be an Internet sin to complain about not receiving an Android update. The immediate response will be, well you should have bought a Nexus then.

10. VulcanV5
    Paris Hilton

Less desirable?

Oh dear. No mention of HTC. Surprisingly enough though, my Desire HD seems to be managing perfectly well on whatever Android version happens to be running under HTC Sense. It's a good thing that no-one here obssesses about OS updates in the way so many sad geeks do.

Paris, because her OS is just fine.

11. jaycee331
    Stop

It ain't all joy in the Apple dept. you know...

Speaking as the once-proud owner of an iPad1, which only recently turned 2 years old having bought one 2-3 months after the UK release in 2010.

How's my Apple OS support experience been?

First, I make the mistake of installing IOS 5.0 and then 5.1. Each suffer memory exhaustion issues on iPad1 and a machine that behaved just perfect on 4.whatever is now glitching with random app quits back to desktop on a daily basis, particularly Safari and the App Store. I'd avoid using Safari and go back to my favourite Atomic Web Browser app but since IOS 5 that now scrolls and loads pages like it's got athritis.

Perhaps I should just downgrade? Isn't that what any normal person would do? Oh but no, Apple don't let you do they, because they know best and their products "just work".

Second, I see there will be no IOS 6 release for iPad1. So what was an expensive luxury purchase is now end of support in 2 years and I'm unlikely to make the same mistake again. So there we have it folks. I'm just reaping the freakin' benefits of a golden apple-locked spec walled-garden device for OS updates.

My first major update made the device worse, and the second won't be offered at all. Thanks for nothing.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lots of talk about who will get an update...

but no mention of what it actually does?

What new features if any does it have and are they desirable?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lots of talk about who will get an update...

If you care that much, considered The Googles? I hear they're all the rage.

13. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

What can I get, LEGALLY - and USEFULLY.

I have an agnostic British original Samsung Galaxy Tab, with Android 2.3.3 (GINGERBREAD.XWJP9). I haven't tried to update it for a couple of months, but there seemed to be updates around that I wasn't getting in Samsung Kies.

Since I updated last, it tends to freeze and be unresponsive for several seconds. Rebooting seems to help for a while.

I'm kind of in the market for a compatible and legal update that doesn't disable my phone or my phone data, and doesn't disable Google Play, or do anythindg else that would annoy me. Actually, taking Android 2.3.3 off and moving backwards wouldn't hurt, if that's possible and safe.

What can I do?

1. Slabfondler
      Thumb Up

Re: What can I get, LEGALLY - and USEFULLY.

@Robert - root your device and install whatever you want, its all mostly legal...you can probably even drop JellyBean on there, might want to wait a while til a stable version gets released put through it paces and all.

The issue may be warranty related, but if you are careful you won't brick it, right? I rooted and unlocked my Nexus S and I am only just over a year into my two year Vodafone contract...no worries ;)

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: What can I get, LEGALLY - and USEFULLY.

Well, I'd prefer to install Microsoft Windows XP - I assume later versions won't work so well. But I know that's not going to work either, really. But I don't know what to get for my device and where, and how. Also, call me picky, but I don't want "mostly legal".

The original Galaxy Tab is unusual in that Google only allowed Android 2.x for phones, in particular, access to Android Market / Google Play - and so, it -is- a phone.

WIkipedia directs me to http://samfirmware.com/ for updates but I assume that the German / Italian / Polish 2.3.6 versions won't work or don"t speak English. And they do look like bootleg jobs.

The normal procedure is that Samsung Kies software, on a PC with 6 GB free disk space, downloads and installs an update, but - unless there's one since I last tried - I'm without.

14. redysangco

if the OTA hasn't been pushed yet, u can force your G-Nex HSPA+ to manually retrieve the 140MB+ file.

perform a factory reset. after the reboot, skip the Google account sign-in prompt. connect the device to a WLAN. access the device settings panel and manually check for system updates. Jelly Bean v4.1.1 should appear for download.

ICS was a HUGE improvement (puts gingerbread to shame), but Jelly Bean raises the bar waaaay up. it's that good.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like