back to article Apple pulls China Japan war game amid diplomatic tensions

Apple has done its bit to defuse rapidly escalating tensions between China and Japan, by pulling an inflammatory iOS game in which the player is tasked with defending a disputed set of islands in the East China Sea from the invading Japanese. Defend the Diaoyu Islands was taken down “recently” from the Chinese App Store, its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. arkhangelsk

Maybe they can make an Android version. Personally, I don't think China has too much of a legal leg to stand on for those islands, and the Western experts I've read seem to figure Japan has the stronger legal claim, but in any case the game does sound fun.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fun?

@arkhangelsk: " in any case the game does sound fun"

I expect it would be just as fun without the inflammatory propaganda. It's hard enough for countries to get along without pouring more fuel on the fire.

2. LarsG

Withdrawn not for content, but cos it was a crap game.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm glad we don't do that

I'm glad we don't do silly things like that in the West. Imagine the uproar if someone made a game about, oh, I don't know, North Korea invading the United States, for example. That would be outrageous.

3. Stuart Elliott
    Mushroom

Sounds like we need one in Blighty

For the evil invading Argentinians trying to beautiful sovereign Falkland Isles in the name of oil exploration.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Sounds like we need one in Blighty

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the Falkland islands have been settled by the British since before Argentina was even a country. The settlers never displaced any previous inhabitants. There's not even any good evidence for a previous indigenous population at any point in history - just the odd arrow and the ancient remains of a canoe. That's pretty much it for evidence of a historical population suggesting that at best a small group of people tried to live there for a while before either dying off or leaving. More likely, some stray people washed up there after being lost at sea at some point in the past and that's it. Argentina's sole historical attempt to "colonize" the islands was to try and dump some convicts there once (failed due to mutinies).

Some people have this idea that the Falkland islands should belong to Argentina because they're "near" Argentina. They're so far away from Argentina that even if you could see them because you have amazing eyesight, you couldn't see them because the curvature of the Earth would hide them from you. Geographical proximity should not be used to determine ownership, the will of the people should. I mean Poland is closer to Germany than the Falkland islands are to Argentina, would it be a good idea for Germany to claim Poland therefore? History suggests... not.

Argentina's economy is in a bad way and the populist government seeks ways to focus discontent elsewhere. The Falkland islands are one such way. Oil is another big reason. The North and East sides of the Falklands now have confirmed oil reserves which Argentina would love. (They already nationalized a foreign-owned oil company). Is invading a country for oil a good idea? Again, history would suggest... not.

4. Matthew Smith

"using nets and lasers"?

The game has an impressive tech tree.

1. Richard Wharram

Re: "using nets and lasers"?

In-app purchase allows dinosaur-riders.

2. Matt_payne666
      Joke

nets and lasers inseed, impressive tech tree, but notice the lack of sharks...

I guess it was difficult to resist adding them to a tasty broth..............

1. Crisp
        Coat

Can I get a shark to go with that laser?

3. Psyx
      Thumb Up

...Or maybe they're nets *made* of lasers!

5. asdf
    FAIL

hmm

Wonder if the sequel will be defending Tibet which they will claim has always been Chinese from the evil outside rest of the world.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like