back to article Google sued over mobile Chrome by patent firm

Google’s mobile Chrome browser is facing its first patent suit in a Texas court. EMG Technology has accused Google of infringing a patent covering simplified navigation on smartphones and tablets. EMG, based in Santa Monica, California, is seeking unspecified damages and the standard injunction preventing the distribution and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy solution

Stop selling anything in Texas. Anything decided by the court only applies to their juristiction, stop selling anything within that area and the problem goes away. If they try this anywhere else it gets laughed out of court which is why they always use them. Lets see how well Texas does when nobody is willing to trade with them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy solution

Or just stop everything in Texas. I'm sure Google have a friendly patented "freeze ray" by now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately the East Texas court has ruled that it has juristriction over anything that can be accessed from Texas. Since you can probably install the Chrome app from Texas, the court claims juristriction. Plus a lot of companys have "offices" near the court (often just a single room rented for the duration of the court case) which also allows the court to claim juristriction.

Complete madness.

I've often wondered wether the Texas judges are taking a percentage of the damges.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They can rule what they like but lets see them try and enforce it. If the Texas court came to me and said 'your product can be downloaded in Texas therefore you owe us loads of money' my response would not be polite. They certainly wouldn't get any money out of me and how exactly could they force me to hand it over?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't encourage them, plenty of bugfuck crazy super right-wing Texans who'd love to leave the USA completely, you know.

2. Trollslayer
    Mushroom

To misquote Shakespear

"Kill all the patent trolls".

1. mccp

Re: To misquote Shakespear

You missed a bit:

Dick:

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers and patent trolls.

1. Tom 13

Re: To misquote Shakespear

Aren't you being redundant again?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sooo....

When can we expect people to start marketing "global" and "everywhere except the US, especially Texas" software, so that the rest of us don't have to suffer from the effect that US software patents have on the industry?

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    FAIL

Derpy companies with "business plans" based on toilet-had ideas

Yes, that will up the economy. Please go on.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'mercans will allow anything to be patented

laughing stock

1. Comments are attributed to your handle
      FAIL

Re: 'mercans will allow anything to be patented

I think you mean: "The 'merican patent office will allow anything to be patented". That distinction is necessary because, last I checked, new patent applications don't require approval by the general public.

1. Dave Coventry
        Thumb Down

Re: 'mercans will allow anything to be patented

Seems to me approval (by anybody) is superfluous.

6. vgrig_us

Another BS patent with tons of prior art.

Ahhh!!! You can't imagine the kind of sh&^%&^t you find in patanets:

"A method of navigating the Internet, comprising: displaying on-line content accessed via the Internet, the on-line content reformatted from a webpage in a hypertext markup language (HTML) format into an extensible markup language (XML) format to generate a sister site, the sister site including a portion or a whole of content of the web page reformatted to be displayed and navigable through a simplified navigation interface"

From unix man page at wikipedia:

"The default format of the man pages is troff, with either the macro package man (appearance oriented) or on some systems mdoc (semantic oriented). This makes it possible to typeset a man page to PostScript, PDF and various other formats for viewing or printing."

So any viewer that read one type of markup language and presents result in another type with additional links (or not) is a prior art.

Lynx does it? Linux info viewer? I think so...

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Trollface

At least this time the haters can't accuse Apple of doing this

Small mercies I know. It is reassuring to know that they have gone after Apple as well.

Death (sorry Chapter 7) to all patent troll companies.

1. Craigness

Re: At least this time the haters can't accuse Apple of doing this

People don't hate without a reason. Patent trolls like apple give them a reason.

And, in the lame defence used by itards when it's their cultmasters doing the trolling "it's the system which is at fault, FORCING companies to protect their inventions". So have pity on poor little EMG, just doing their legal obligations to their shareholders and not at all being nasty.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think there is an extremly simple solution to the patent troll problem that doesn't even require invalidating the software patents they love so much. Just make software patent a special kind of patents, like pharmasuticals, except instead of making them last longer then normal patents, make them last just 2 years, to reflect the rapidly changing landscape of IT. By the time the lawers are able to understand the code, it'll be out of patent.

9. Thorne

The American patent office needs shooting. How the hell do you patent the idea of simplifying something?

Patents should only exist for inventions, not discoveries or ideas. The patent office hands out patents like lollies and doesn't even read them first. Idiots

10. Captain Scarlet
    Paris Hilton

I am confused

I thought Chrome Browser was free, how can they stop selling something that's *free?

*Free with terms and conditions to say they can do anything they like with some data they may receive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like