back to article Old aircraft artefacts become office accessories

Motoart, the company behind retro aeroplane furniture like the C-130 Hercules wing conference table, the Boeing 727 engine cowling valet desk and the MK-84 bomb casing ten-gallon fish tank, are proud to present the B-52 Stratofortress ejection seat office chair. Originally from Southern California, the artists/sculptors/metal- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Jolly
    Happy

Its on my little list...

.. of things to fill my secret hideout,

2. Les Matthew

The BOFH

would have some serious fun with this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A lower cost option ...

Some cool stuff but given that you can get pieces of the ultimate iconic aircraft Concorde at aviation collectors fairs and places like concordecollectables.com for 20 quid or so and upwards the pricing does look rather ambitious for bits of common aircraft which are (as the article points out) fairly easily available. Just talk to some scrap metal merchants near London Heathrow, various military bases, etc if in doubt.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Telco execs can feel home

Somebody has done good market research. As many people have observed USA telco execs tend to be ex-bomber people so we are bound to see this in quite a few offices of various Ma Bell clones.

5. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Coat

@les matthew

More fin than you might think. The pilot and co-pilot on the BUFF ejected *down*.

6. Mark
    Black Helicopters

@Graham Dawson

Actually it is the radar navigator and the navigator that eject downwards on the BUFF, the Pilot, Copilot, EWO and Gunner all eject upwards.

My coat is the anorak with the wires filling the pocket.

7. Keith Glass
    Stop

Minor problem: that's NOT a B-52 Ejector seat

. . .looks more like a fighter ejection seat F-4 Phantom or similar. But it is most definitely NOT from a B-52: I know, I've got 6 year of flying them under my belt. . .

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

The BOFH Would Get One for the Head of Beancounting...

...who sits directly under a load-bearing I-beam...

9. Dave Bell
    Thumb Down

But is it an ejoctor seat?

Up? Down? Sideways? This looks like a fancy offcie chair with a few ex-aviation bits bolted on.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Graham Dawson

Ejecting downward in the Buff?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Shocking really

That such unsafe stuff is being sold. I mean - look at the number of legs...... You had better hope that health and safety dont spot that its one short of a jobsworth.....

12. Steven Cox

Discovery???

I am sure i watched a series about this company on the Discovery channel a few years ago... could be wrong (but very rarely am, apart from when it comes to spelling)

ok after about 10secs of searching i proved myself right, the program was called wingnuts, looks like its been cancelled though.

13. Vulpes Vulpes

Well, I found it under a rock in the Mojave Desert

and dragged it home in the pickup.

But I'm afraid I saw you coming, so that'll be 5,000.

No, pounds. Sterling.

14. Chris G

Been there , done that

Over twenty years ago my best mate Jim got married and I was his best man. I had to give him something special as a wedding present so I looked and asked around, one of my other mates just happened to mention that the military research establishment where he worked had thrown out a Martin-Baker Mk1 ejector seat( these were propelled by a cut down twenty five pounder howitzer shell) and that he had purloined it. Well, I leaned on him a lot and he finally sold it to me for seventy quid, the best damn present I ever gave anyone, though the new missus wasn't too keen on it even though I gave her some boring china plates. The consensus amongst us lads was that if the wife didn't work out she could always test the seat for Jim.Strangely, some years later she ran away with an IT manager!

This topic is closed for new posts.