back to article O2, GiffGaff network goes titsup for unlucky punters

Parts of the O2 network have fallen over leaving punters unable to make calls, send texts or surf the web from their gadgets. An O2 spokesperson told The Reg that its systems are having problems detecting handsets. The outage, which started at lunchtime today, also affects operators that piggyback on O2's network, such as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miffo

Giffgaff?

Why mention Giffgaff? Anything on the O2 network - Tesco for example. Someone at work is having this issue with his Tesco SIM.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Giffgaff?

Thanks - it's just that we were able to confirm quickly that O2 and GiffGaff were affected.

C.

1. Ball boy Silver badge

Thank goodness for El Reg. I've got problems & have rebooted, moved the SIM to a spare phone and still got nowhere.

Oh - and as of 17:20 the O2 website's support section is nothing more than a terse message saying "Knowledge Server is temporarily busy. Please try again." Helpful, no?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Register are always quick to point of problems with Giff Gaff. Dunno why. Maybe someone there had a bad experience with them...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not surprised

As a former O2 customer I thank my lucky stars I'm no longer with them. I used to suffer terrible signal coverage and just random loss of service all the time (and I live in a city centre) My brother who lives 15 miles away had the same issue as did someone I worked with from another city.

When I rang O2 to leave at the end of my contract I received the worst possible 'customer service' experience. The monkey at retentions had me on the phone for 40 minutes and accused me of lying twice. Once when I said I was leaving for a contract with a rival that actually cost more and price wasn't an issue and the second time when I said their network was awful. He said that I made the issues up and if I was getting problems I should have reported these issues as it could be down to my local mast and not their overall network, which he said as a whole was fine. However he couldn't explain how people in other cities and miles away also had the same issues and we all used different handsets. The only common factor was O2.

Their initial iPhone exclusive then letting GiffGaff and Tesco and whoever else piggyback on the top of them has got them at breaking point

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Not surprised

Thanks for your random rant that has absolutely nothing to do with this story.

1. Blitterbug
        Meh

Re: Thanks for your random rant that has absolutely nothing to do with this story.

It had everything to do with the story, as it concerned muppetry of the highest order at O2. Are you employed by O2? Do you work for Logica? We should be told!

1. fixit_f
          Unhappy

Re: Thanks for your random rant that has absolutely nothing to do with this story.

Leave the poor OP alone guys, he was only making the point that he had a terrible experience with a company. I started with O2 in 2005 ish when they had what appeared to be the best mobile data network out there, but once they got the exclusive rights to the iPhone it seemed to get overloaded. After a while I gave up and went elsewhere.

There's nothing wrong with making the point that you've had a bad experience with a company - after all they're perfectly free to push advertising into your face, if they don't deliver it's your right and duty to warn people. O2 just aren't a very good network at the moment I'm afraid, end of.

2. Blitterbug
          Happy

Cheers for the inexplicable thumbs down, chaps! (speaking as an ex-Logician)...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's wrong for them to accuse you of lying but it's fine for you to call them monkeys.

1. TkH11

It's never acceptable for a supplier to call their customer's a liar, and coming from a customer facing department? ! As for him calling them monkeys? In one case their insult is aimed at an individual - him, in his case, he's not insulting an individual he is insulting the organisation.

So I don't see your challenge to him calling them monkeys is right.

3. frank ly
      WTF?

If you want to end your contract, you tell them to end the contract. You don't enter into long discussions with them.

If they refuse to give you a PAC code, you make a formal complaint about them, enlisting your new provider for advice and support.

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

It's well known that O2 typically have their own masts while other operators share. It does however generally mean you get better 3G bandwidth when you can get decent signal.

At home no network gives me decent reliable fast mobile data. With O2 they at least have a 2G fallback, 3 on the other hand don't now and so in the woods when biking or walking you often get no signal. Just what you want when you may need to call in an emergency.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> It's well known that O2 typically have their own masts while other operators share.

Really? Not that ownership of the *masts* actually means anything in itself....

http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2010/01/happy-first-birthday-cornerstone.html

1. Blitterbug
          Unhappy

Re: Not that ownership of the *masts* actually means anything in itself....

It means everything. For the 12 years and more that I've been with them (cos of the loyalty discount), their reception @ my house is crap. Yet T-Mobile (my wife and kids) phones get 5 bars. It is precisely because O2 Telefonica don't share masts that I can only take business calls on my mobile while crammed against the kitchen window. Often I have to perform a ritual O2 'rain dance', quite literally, jumping and waving my iPhone around in the air until the No Service icon buggers off. This, despite masts being a precious resource.

1. Severen
            FAIL

And in 12yrs you've not thought of changing networks? Maybe to T-Mobile?

I hear their network is excellent in your house.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I find it's excellent there. I check FB while eating my biscuit.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Did you not see his point about the loyalty discount? It may be crap, but it's cheap!

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

That's why I said typically, they are sharing now but that's about 4 years since I first jumped onto 3G with O2.

Their 3G coverage is still worse than 3 in many areas. But at least there's 2G to fall back on (good enough for phone calls).

2. TkH11

2G fall back? What's the heck is that? Fall back to GPRS data at 14,400 bits per second (and true performance is dependent on the number of timeslots on the signal).

Have you ever tried using data over GPRS? Have you actually tried to download a web page at this speed? I bet you haven't. It is unusable.

1. John G Imrie

14,400 bits/s

14,400/s, kids today don't know they are born. When I was a lad etc. ...

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Some people use a phone to talk to people. It's not just a mobile Internet device.

3. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

I rather suspect there's more than a few people here who know what V.32bis is and at one point thought 14Kbps was fast..

Depends on the webpage. *some* pages are still usable at that speed, but with all the javascript, graphics and huge stylesheets it's very difficult to efficiently browse the modern web with anything under 256Kbp/s and about 800Mhz of processor.

I'd note that until very recently (I'm looking at places like you, National Rail) sites still used WAP, or WAP levels of bandwidth. It wasn't necessary to use any more bandwidth for looking up timetables, but oh no, they had to stick in graphics and suchlike and ruin the experience for old, slow phones. I bet traintimes.org.uk is still usable at 14Kbps.

3. DJ Smiley
        Facepalm

In an emergency (999 not "oh god I need to call my mum to ask her to put some chips on) your phone will use ANY mast.

3. koswix
    FAIL

Been flakey since yesterday afternoon

Up here in rainy Edinburgh I've been having issues since about 3pm yesterday - keep getting told my sim card (giffgaff) isn't allowed on the network.

Had service this morning up until about 2pm and then nothing since.

4. teapot9999
    FAIL

Issue not just in UK

I have users travelling abroad also reporting their O2 phone not working

5. AndGregor

Looks like they are having 'trouble' with their status page too: http://status.o2.co.uk.

6. LinkOfHyrule
    Terminator

Opooh

First the banks go titsup, then the mobile coms - tinfoil hoody guys will be saying this a test run for when they send us dark as part of their evil scheme to enslave us!

And by the way, I am in no way affiliated with The Register, I am just a happy customer

1. localzuk Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Opooh

Its a fire sale!! *Enter Bruce Willis*

7. Andrew Barr
    FAIL

Ooops

Aren't O2 the olympic mobile provider

1. Anonymous Coward 15

Re: Ooops

He said the O-word without being an official sponsor! Sue him! Sue him!

8. AlexMorris
    Black Helicopters

Contract fine, PAYG broken

I carry two O2 phones, one a company phone on a business contract, the other a personal phone on a pre-pay tariff.

Curiously, the company phone (on a very lucrative contract - my employer has several thousand employees and phones in the UK alone) works perfectly, with nary an interruption in service.

Conversely, the personal phone on the scum-of-the-earth my-monthly-spend-doesn't-buy-one-cocktail-for-the-MD pre-pay tariff doesn't work.

Not that I'm in any doubt whatsoever that this is a genuine "fault" and not the result of O2 carrying out some unspecified changes to the network designed to affect pre-pay customers...

1. Copyright Action

Re: Contract fine, PAYG broken

Nah, the fuckup is equal ops. and apparently extensive to judge by the howls of annoyance on Facebook. We have 3x O2 contract phones here (W7 London). All show good signal on O2 but connect to nothing. There's a tri-tone beep when dialling other mobiles. Oddly one attempt to call landline worked, once, then didn';t.

2. philbo

Re: Contract fine, PAYG broken

Problem with extrapolations from n=1 data is that they aren't usually correct (though you may find you can get a job at the Daily Mail based on this kind of analysis). In this household, we have five giffgaff PAYG phones, only one of which went offline (and one had no charge, so might have done, who knows).

I like giffgaff, even though they do make me top up £5 every three months to keep the calls to the other family mobiles free.

9. Oscar

Re: Contract fine

Contract is not fine for me Mr Morris ;) Been down for over an hour and was acting weird for the hour prior to that ...

1. AlexMorris
      Black Helicopters

Hush you. Don't confound my cynicism with tricksy facts.

1. philbo
        Happy

Upvoted, because a witty, self-deprecatory reaction to being corrected is far better than the sort of knee-jerk pettiness that often happens round here.

10. miknik
    Happy

Mine wasn't working

I had no signal for a couple of hours earlier. However, the planet kept spinning and life went on, it was actually quite peaceful.

11. Just a geek
    Unhappy

On O2 or rather not on O2 this evening as I have no connection at all. The O2 website just tries to sell stuff rather than having an update there so you have to go to 'http://status.o2.co.uk/' which might or might not work depending on how busy the server is.

Clicking on 'Contact Us' gives this:

'Knowledge Server is temporarily busy. Please try again.'

If the measure of a company is in how well than handle an outage then O2 have a lot of work to do for the next time.

1. Blitterbug
      Happy

If the measure of a company is in how well than handle an outage ...

Indeed. Flogged off most central IT support to parts foreign, is my guess, a la Bobby Diamond.

12. CmdrX3
    WTF?

Out in Belfast as well..... sort of

Well actually, my contract one is out of service, my wife's PAYG is fine. Both iPhne 4S and both in the same location.

13. Anonymous John

Flaky in E Sussex too.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only thing that will cause an outage like that is losing one of their home location register platforms.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC: 19:36

Oh, I dunno. Vodafone had a server stolen in a break-in, and that caused a 3 day outage UK wide not too long ago.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Manchester

I'm affected by this and I'm in Manchester, but apparently according to the postcode search facility on status.o2.co.uk all is well in Manchester ... not!

I can't wait for the signal to come back so they can text me my PAC code

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Manchester

I've checked my phones, most of them aren't working, but thankfully my iphone is working.

Looks like I won't be getting any out of hours support calls tonight :-D

I do feel a bit dumb having kept to one network, I wonder if there will be TV adverts for free Orange, T-Mobile and Vodafone SIMs in the next few days? I'm sure there will be fewer of the O2 ones ha

17. DJDUBLO
    Stop

One works one doesn't

Its been affecting me since about 1220 Wednesday, at first full strength signals 3g etc on the phone but not receiving calls or texts. By 1630, No Service, nothing. All this time, my wife's phone has been working fine. All very odd. Is it because I switched to a cheaper tariff last month??????????

18. HardlineDevil

O2 Abroad

O2 users abroad can't make or receive calls abroad. They're clearly suffering a much bigger issue at a MTX level on their exchange than theyre letting onto...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Laughable attempts at recovery from an outage, but hardly surprising. Have O2 been juggling and prioritising customers between HLRs and where are the business continuity measures? Will O2 be able to reliably implement access overload measures during the Olympics...? See what you can't do.. with O2.

20. VCat
    Facepalm

My number is not even recognised now!

If someone tries my number it doesn't exist. Nice.

I wouldn't mind if it went to voicemail or said it was temporarily unavailable.

FUBAR.

1. Gaz Jay
      Thumb Up

Re: My number is not even recognised now!

Lets hope that if you're number no longer exists then your usage record for billing purposes has also disappeared!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Abroad

I am over in New York and i have not had a signal since i woke up this morning, So even abroad its all tits up

22. HardlineDevil

We're at the Microsoft WPC conference in Toronto and we've now got just over 70 users on O2 who have had no connectivity since 6am this morning. Spoke with Rogers (cell partner carrier here) and they state that there is no connectivity to the MTX back in the UK due to a faulty software upgrade.

23. Just a geek
    Flame

The O2 situation seems to be getting worse. There is still an outage, calls are being dropped rather than going to voicemail. The O2 website is titsup.com and the call centre staff went home at 8pm (And it costs 5p per min to call them).

Meanwhile on Twitter the O2 account says 'Engineers are working hard to fix it' but there is no ETA. We are not some 10 hours into the outage. At this point they should have an idea of the root cause and an ETA.

Heads need to roll and there needs to be an investigation.

24. D@v3
    Alien

Business customers.

My other half and I are both on O2, mine is dead, hers is fine, hers is a business contract mine is not, coincidence, maybe...

1. druck Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Business customers.

My business contract isn't working, the wife's consumer one is ok.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phones can't find a transmitter ?

What utter rubbish! Most phones like iPhone will NOT settle on a cell unless it has GPRS availability.

If there are two cells visible from your handset... first with 5 bars and no GPRS and second cell signal 1 bar with GPRS working, the iPhone (or smartphones) will then settle with the 1 bar signal because data availability has been programmed as highest priority in the iPhone (or smartphones) firmware.

Because the SGSN does not appear to be available on 3G (seems to work fine on 2G hence NOT a HLR fault) that suggests the problem is SGSN or GGSN related. So, NO 3G cells have data enabled so the phone doesnt settle with any 3G O2 cell it finds...

Conclusion: If smartphones cannot detect GPRS data from a cell it keeps "Searching..." until it does find one with working GPRS data...

This explans why our phones have been "Searching..." (to no avail) all day long....

O2 have some serious explaining to do to customers. I will settle for 1 years free line rental as compensation :-)

1. D@v3

Re: Phones can't find a transmitter ?

nice idea, but I have turned off 3g and mobile data, and my phone is still playing silly buggers.

26. Atomic
    Facepalm

Doh!

Schoolboy error from me - obviously forgot the internet existed. Had problems at work since lunch, got home and swapped sims with a working (contract) phone in the same house that found the network on my phone and assumed that my sim had somehow died. Then proceeded to register a giffgaff card that i'd had lying around for a while, only to then look at twitter and the Reg to find out about this. Ah well.

27. Oh Dear
    FAIL

The reg article describes all the symptoms of a HLR outage. Customers could be anywhere in the country which could be affected by this issue. Depending on how O2 arrange their customers on HLRs you may find that business customers are not affected or could be equally affected. If you are currently un-affected don't reboot your handset as your handset will location update so will reference the HLR and you could then loose service.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just voice that's humped for me.

Texts were working fine.

29. Buzzby
    FAIL

Nada

Mob operators rely on databases. Your IMEI, phone no, whereabouts just for starters. Lose one of these

and you lose service. Could be one or more of O2's db's have been scrambled.

1. Nanki Poo
      Thumb Up

Re: Nada

Exactly what I thought! Sounds like a database problem. I'm going for update to the database tho, the specific details of the loss seem too random . . . and the inability to restore it ("you last backed up the database WHEN!?").

Sems too random...

nK

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

00:06 Thursday

And still no service (currently in bradford)

31. Copyright Action
    FAIL

Curse of the Olympics?

Hang on. Wasn't O2's Olympics mobile network due to go live this week? Maybe that explains things - O2's version of games lanes. Or possibly the M4.

32. Rob Daglish
    Facepalm

Bloody phones...

Our phones are on a BusinessSharer tariff, and my personal and business numbers dont work, and haven't since lunchtime in sunny Cumbria. My wife's phone on the same contract doesn't either, but that's probably more to do with her introducing her BlackBerry to the inside of the washing machine than owt else...

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've been getting service on and off since about 5ish. Occasionally I'll get a text through, look at my phone and it has full signal. Ten minutes later - nothing. Currently got a couple of bars, will see how long it lasts...

34. heyrick Silver badge

Coincidence?

I tipped El Reg to the fact that Orange France's mobile network was out of service for 12 hours on Friday afternoon to Saturday early morning. I guess El Reg didn't feel that a software fault hacking off mobe comms to 27 million subscribers was a story worth following.

So here's one for you. Two large mobile networks suffer severe failure, less than a week apart. Mere coincidence? I'd find that hard to swallow. A good tech journo might try contacting both companies to try to see if there's any common ground here. Same hardware? Infrastructure? What?

1. John Arthur
      Thumb Up

Re: Coincidence?

Agreed. I have been on holiday in France for the last week and the complete Orange outage was front page news over here. It just so happens that I am piggy-backed on O2 and had no service here last night. This morning it is working perfectly though. Never mind, it is 30 degrees and sunny!

35. ed2020
    Thumb Down

Great job O2

For most of yesterday my phone worked perfectly whilst my girlfriend's didn't. This morning my girlfriend's phone is working again but mine isn't.

36. VespaBoy
    FAIL

Customer service?

As someone whose phone has been converted into an iPod touch since since 2pm yesterday I've been massively inconvenienced, but my main concern is the lack of effort on O2's part wrt communicating with customers. Why do I find better and more useful info on ITV, Sky News than their website? And why is it OK for O2 to email me saying "your bill is ready, please do cough up" but NOT to say "we realise you're affected and apologise for the inconvenience. We are trying our hardest & will be in touch later with a full explanation & hope to make it up to you."?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thursday AM - stiil some issues

On GiffGaff, 7:30 AM Thurs, can text and make voice calls but no t'internet.

My reception at home has always been bit poor/variable - but in the days leading up to yesterday it was much worse than usual dropping down to "No Service" then "Emergency calls only" then popping back up randomly to 1-3 bars and back down again.

37. TonyJ
    FAIL

Still having problems.

Haven't had a data connection since yesterday and now at work, where I normally see a full signal, I am stuck with my handset saying "searching".

O2 were good (business contract, three handsets - never 'big' money to O2, but still £130 a month) when I joined them three years ago but their customer service attitude these days is "stuff you. give us more money". I've even considered buying out what is remaining of the contract, it's that bad.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor coomunication pisses people off

Most people are pragmatic if something breaks, as long as you do them the courtesy of telling them you know about it, apologise and let them know you are fixing it and when it will be back.

If however, you make no announcement, your website status pages remain down or inaccurate, and your customer services goes home, like O2 have done, then this will piss off your customers more than initial fault.

O2 are obviously run by spineless wankers, too afraid to be honest with their customers.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

8am and still no o2 connection since yesterday afternoon

RBS and now O2 - surely there is an article in there somewhere?

And either there is only a handful of us affected, or else the BBC news service has totally lost touch - hardly any reporting of the O2 problem.

1. Oliver Mayes

Re: 8am and still no o2 connection since yesterday afternoon

Hardly any BBC reporting? It was the second most read article on their mobile site when I checked last night.

That's how I found out about the problem, I assumed it was just my handset playing up until I saw their article.

1. Blitterbug
        Happy

Re: It was the second most read article on their mobile site

I suspect he meant their TV / radio coverage?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: It was the second most read article on their mobile site

Do you? It was covered in both the tv and radio news I saw and heard.

40. Shagbag

MCRE (Microsoft Certified Reboot Engineer)

Have they tried turning it off and turning it back on again? That's what my HelpDesk recommended.

41. This post has been deleted by its author

42. MrPicto
    Thumb Up

Ok for me..

I'm running on an o2 simplicity tarrif and I'm having minimal inconvenience. Text, calls and data are fine. 3g signal is present but no data appears to be coming though, most of the time, so I just dropped back to edge. (My trusty iphone 3gs also seems to want to drop back to this by default at work anyway)

Interestingly I changed my cellular data login info from idata.o2.co.uk to mobile.o2.co.uk as I was having a few issues about a week ago.(the first technical issue I've had in 8 years of being with o2) Its unlikely to be the reason why mine is still working though as those settings only affect data services.

43. theGBH

O2 Network problems

If you are on O2 or Tescos (O2) you could try and switch off 3G and revert back to 2G. This worked for me and enabled my phone to carry on working on a 2G signal.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. druck Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: O2 Network problems

That didn't work yesterday, but does now.

I usually have my phone set to 3G only, as continually dropping to 2G on the train seems to confuse it, where as on 3G only it just waits for a signal to come back - which is quicker than attempting to do any data at 2G anyway.

44. geekclick
    FAIL

Psssst..... We have 200 engineers dedicated to network performance

This is the message currently being displayed on the o2 website under all of this:

Making calls and using data

05:40 - We're continuing to drive the recovery of this issue with our support teams and vendors. We're working to restore service as quickly as possible. Unfortunately we're unable to confirm any timescales for service restoration at this time. We'll let you know as soon as we can. We apologise once again for any inconvenience this incident is causing.

03:25 - We're still working with our support teams and vendors trying to restore service as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused whiile this recovery work is in progress. We'll provide further updates as soon as we can.

01:00 - We can confirm that the problem with our mobile service is due to a fault with one of our network systems, which has meant some mobile phone numbers are not registering correctly on our network. As a result, some customers are having difficulty making or receiving calls, sending texts or using data. We, and our central supplier, have deployed all possible resources and are working through the night to restore service as soon as possible. We apologise again to customers affected and will provide further updates as soon as we can

23:00 - Our engineers and vendors are continuing to deal with the problem as a priority and we hope to restore full service as soon as possible.

19:00 - We continue to manage the problem on our network that is affecting some of our customers. Customers may still be having difficulty making and receiving calls, sending texts or using data.We are sorry for any inconvenience. Our engineers are dealing with the problem as a priority and we hope to restore full service as soon as possible.

16:45 - We're currently seeing a problem on our network affecting some of our customers.As a result, you may have difficulty making or receiving calls, sending texts or using data.Our engineers are dealing with the problem as a priority and we hope to restore full service as soon as possible.

45. Mike Arthur

Weird

I have no voice or text capability, also no data connection showing, however I'getting updates and email quite happily, no wireless here so it's not that.

Been off since 1600 yesterday. Still going to make on-call nice and quiet...

46. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Still no service for me in Southport near Liverpool. On Tesco here.

47. mad_dr
    Go

Status update on O2 website:

08:00 - We can confirm that our 2G network service has now been restored. Customers who were affected should now be able to make and receive calls.

Our 3G service is starting to restore and customers should expect to see a gradual return of data services as the day progresses.

Customers affected may wish to try switching their mobile phones off and on as service returns.

We are sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused some customers and can provide reassurance that we continue to deploy all possible resources, and will do so until full service is restored.

Still ZERO bars for me though...

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flakey, too, in East Kent on this otherwise fine Thursday morning.

49. Admiral Grace Hopper
    Unhappy

Sadly

my O2 work phone has not lost connectivity for a moment, which means I've been gettng the calls that my colleagues holding Nokia bricks can't receive.

50. andy1029384756

Switch to 2G

Working fine here on 2G but if I turn on 3G I get signal but messages won't send. I can receive them on 3G however.

I wonder if O2 should consider redundancy on the failed system...

51. vmistery

Set your phone to use GSM only

Just had a little play on my GS2 and I found if i set it to use GSM only then I could send / receive calls and texts just fine., obviously data is verrrry slow but hey at least its something. Would be good to hear if others find the same.

52. This post has been deleted by its author

53. JayBizzle
    Trollface

Blatant Brag Post

My iphone has been working fine with no problems, even have super fast porn over 3G, I love O2 they're the best!

54. Digital Freedom
    FAIL

Outsourcing FAIL again?

Is this the result of outsourcing your network to another incompetent company? (Huawei now run O2)

55. CraigW

database

Given the way the issues are distributed, it sounds more data-related than anything. Database screwup maybe?

56. AndyC
    Meh

Emergency calls only, but the web works

On a Samsung Galaxy Note with no voice, no texts but data works fine.

Wifi is turned off and I don't enable bluetooth, so something is going on...

Oh, the phone is showing HSPDA:9 with a signal strength of -107dBm 3asu (whatever they mean).

Service state is out of service but I am connected to the network...

Go figure.

57. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A rush of changes to the head

This is what happens when you have a change freeze ('service protection period') for the Olympics that lasts 2 months. All the hundreds of engineering teams and suppliers all try and cram 2 months' worth of changes into 2 weeks before the change freeze.

Under that sort of pressure the change management system starts making bad decisions and authorises changes that would normally have been vetoed. The engineering teams get overambitious because they want everything fixed so they're not babysitting a half-working system for 2 months.

Result: botched changes and upgrades, and resultant loss of service.

Orange's less publicized outage last week was probably for similar reasons.

It seems counterintuitive, but the networks would probably have had fewer problems if they hadn't had a change freeze at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A rush of changes to the head

We've been significantly impacted by the issue too, and our bet's also on this being a bodged change being rushed through before the change freeze. Most major issues are caused by changes anyhow, so this isn't such a great stretch of the imagination.

I also know that some environments have pressure on them to achieve certain standards to be ready for the Olympics, and still are trying to complete this work. It's not like the Olympics weren't expected....

Given the intermittent impact and how not everyone is affected, I've got two possible theories for the cause of the issue:

1. work to some load balanced kit that turned out to not be able to cope with the full load when under a partial outage

2. Or, having seen the link to Cornerstone earlier in the thread ( http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2010/01/happy-first-birthday-cornerstone.html), perhaps the issue is only affecting this, or the other way around (given that this appears to be a seperate set of shared infrastructre).

58. Andy Benn
    FAIL

Their "fix" broke me!

My phone was working quite happily up to this morning when they announced their 8am 2G "fix" - And since then i've had sweet fanny adams! Well done O2, supposedly fix something and break it even more!

I hope someone gets sacked for this!

59. dds
    Coffee/keyboard

Poor Service

I rang into O2 Customer Services in 2007 informing them I can not make or receive calls in Windsor High Street, as I was working at the time so having a O2 phone was absolutely pointless. I had to ring in about 5 times over the course of 6 weeks to get a response that an engineer has been assigned to look at it and we will update you. Needless to say they never did, so I rang up 6 months later explaining I still can not make calls and I reported the issue 6 months ago.

Fast forward to TODAY and still not possible to use iPhone to its full potential as you barely get Edge reception.

I however switched to three 6 months ago much much better 3G signal all over the country.

Conclusion: too much focus on other streams of revenue and not paying attention to your core product!

60. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this related to...

...the story a couple of months ago about the contract for running the O2 infrastructure going to Huawei?

61. dds

Related?

Im not too sure on whehter Huawei have the contract now, either way their network is not what it used to be pre-iphone era. Too much strain no investment, rather a mast sharing deal with Voda to save money I suspect.

then the addition of giffgaff and Tesco furhter strained the network! and by the way Telefonica the parent company of O2 has £57 billion defecit which it needs to reduce so I very much doubt there will be money invested just ways to make money

1. cantankerousblogger
      Coat

Re: Related?

The Huawei deal does show, however, that Telefonica decided that selling phones and marketing tariffs rather than running O2's cellular network is its core business, in the same way that RBS decided that working cashpoints and providing balances are not related to its core business of securing huge bonuses for underperformance, paying LIBOR and PPI fines and scrounging rescue funds from the UK taxpayer. Reminds of how Sainsbury was persuaded by Accenture that having a warehouse that worked or the ability to replenish shelves wasn't core either. My guess, for what it is worth, is the most likely common factor is the selling of shallow and self-interested fads to senior executives by McKinsey.

Am I the only one to think that 200 'engineers' (probably includes hole-diggers and plug-wirers) doesn't seem a lot for a national network?

62. VulcanV5
    Flame

English as she is spoke.

Well done, O2! That has to win an Olympic gold in the Pompous Corporate-speak Bullshit event:

"We're continuing to drive the recovery of this issue with our support teams and vendors."

Time, it seems, for me to articulate a progressive distancing from the 02 supplier / user interface eventuating in separation totality.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like