back to article Cut'n'paste UK launch for cut-price Motorola Android

Motorola's Motosmart budget Android is coming to Blighty, courtesy of T-Mobile, which will be offering the cut-price smartphone for £100 on PAYG. That buys you an Android 2.3 Gingerbread touchscreen handset with a 3.5in display, a 3Mp camera, 2.4GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi and a wee bit of on-board storage that you'll need to add a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Simply put, Motosmart makes life easier

Easy copy-n-paste functionality, for example.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Simply put, Motosmart makes life easier

I can see a trouble ahead from Apple ... after all, didn't they invent cut-n-paste for mobile phones!

1. Arclight

Re: Simply put, Motosmart makes life easier

Well of course, Apple invented everything from the wheel up.

2. squilookle
    Trollface

"Just turn this smartphone on and get instant access to the people and things in your life that matter most."

So you don't even have to log in with your Google account? You just turn this smartphone on and get instant access to the people and things in your life that matter most?

How does it know????

1. Robert E A Harvey

You ring them up and talk to them.

3. LinkOfHyrule
    Coffee/keyboard

Hahaha

I love it when big companies mess up like this - this is definitely from the Microsoft school of public relations, a textbook example - good work Motothingymabob!

4. Morningstar
    FAIL

They have a Marketig director?

You only have to look at the farce of updating the wifi Xoom to see why Motorola is going to die in europe, they are getting panned on facebook and their own support forums for their inability to roll out an update to ICS in the UK and most of the EU.

Maybe Victoria McManus should have offered updates to the things you don't have to worry about.

1. M Gale
      Trollface

"panned on Facebook"

Must be good, then.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Am I the only one to think of electric wheelchairs when I see "Motorola Mobility"?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please, T-Mobile, Don't bork a good phone like Orange do

Plain vanilla please.

If you really MUST stuff it with T-Mobile flavoured apps, PLEASE, PLEASE make them removable.

If you really MUST stuff it with T-Mobile flavoured games, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make them removable.

Even more please; if you insist on stuffing it with Trail versions of paid-for apps and games, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make them removable.

Orange - are you listening?

It would be nice if you also recognised that phones sell one shitload better if they are not locked in the fist place.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Please, T-Mobile, Don't bork a good phone like Orange do

So true.

Orange always seem to be the worst as well, actively removing useful things and then adding crud and trial junk everywhere. For example ever seen the number of ringtones an orange phone has, then compare it to the base vanilla release and there are many, many more. There is, however, likely to be an orange "buy ringtones" app somewhere close... I've had orange mobiles which were so chock full of trial games which took so much of the available storage space that you couldn't even download the full paid version if you did pay for it.

If branding were limited to stickers / transfers on the case and logo'd backgrounds and sounds the world would be a better place. And I'd be factory unlocking fewer Orange mobile phones. Which would give me more time at the pub. aka. a better place.

If they want to put in trial games on special deals to upgrade, then this isn't a bad thing - after all they get kick backs from the sale of the game and hopefully we get some good games. But as the AC stated, they have to be removable...

2. Arclight

I have a motorola defy on t-mobile, and not a t-mobile related app in sight, the nearest it gets is having the browsers homepage set to the tmobile site.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I got one of those. I suspect with the already installed, unremovable Amazon Mp3, Cardiotrainer god knows what other motorola crud there simply wasn't room for more t-mobile nonsense.

Other than topapp.

On a budget phone like this, they will try and squeeze every micro-penny of revenue from it. On a budget phone squeezing all that crap onto the phone will have a detrimental effect.

7. An ominous cow herd

But, but..

In their defence, I have to say that “Simply put, Motosmart makes life easier, you don’t have to worry about complicated settings and hard-to-follow instructions. Just turn this smartphone on and get instant access to the people and things in your life that matter most.”

8. Tzael
    Happy

Tempted

I've been looking for something new to replace my antiquated iPhone 3GS, this looks ideal. I wonder if it can be hacked to run ICS? Need decent AV software on there too, avoid the malware plague. Knowing of Google's heritage, I find it's reassuring to consider that security and data protection are a primary focus of their development efforts, unlike Apple who tend to disregard personal privacy altogether. None of that phone-home nonsense either!

Definitely close to getting my wallet out.

1. Tapeador
      Stop

Re: Tempted

600Mhz processor - which won't run many useful applications including any which require Adobe Flash - a replacement for an iPhone 3GS? I strongly disagree. I suggest the Huawei Ascend G300 with a 1Ghz processor.

1. Tzael

@Tapeador

Sorry, I forgot to use the sarcasm markup tag.

9. Spearchucker Jones
    FAIL

Oh really?

Another new piece of hardware with software that's three versions behind v.current.

Will be interesting to see if the new master will change the status quo.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crap Specs

Get an Ascend G300, 1Ghz processor and ICS on the way.

Not good enough Motorola.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. A Known Coward
    WTF?

Huh?

You can get a Defy Mini, with similar but better overall specs for just £80 Sim Free

13. measmyself

Cut and paste Was in my Sony Ericsson's many versions before Apple added it to their phones.

Likewise could be said for Video calling

Likewise could be said for Bluetooth

14. RyokuMas
    Trollface

Wow...

After all this time, something two Android-related things that are identical.

Pity the same feat can't be replicated across the fragmented OS and hundreds of different display/handset specs that turn it into such a nightmare to develop for and support...

15. Jim Wilkinson
    Big Brother

Root it first?

So who's going to be the first to root it so you can get rid of the built-in cr*p apps and spyware? Then it might be a reasonably nice, cheap phone that doesn't accumulate unwanted network charges.http://www.reghardware.com/Design/graphics/icons/comment/big_brother_32.png

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like