back to article AMD adjusts three-core Phenom roll-out plan, moles claim

AMD's upcoming tri-core Phenom 8000-series desktop processors will appear next month, though only two of the anticipated three three-core CPUs will make it to market, it has been claimed. According to PC manufacturer sources cited by Chinese-language site HKEPC, only the 2.1GHz Phenom 8400 and the 2.3GHz Phenom 8600 will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christian Berger

Sounds like a cost cutting issue

Sounds like they want to cut some costs by selling quad cores with one defective core.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Christian Berger

Agreed - sounds to me like they're not entirely sure of their manufacturing ability to be honest.

Will they extend this to 2 defective cores and release it as a dual core CPU? Or 1?? Haven't seen Intel suggesting this approach, but then I suppose it's an extension of the original clock speeds. Intel only ever fab'ed Pentiums, and then tested them to see how far they would clock, which determined the final spec of each one. In fact it meant you could take the risk of buying a slower one and hoping it was just marked as such due to demand, you could then overclock.

High demand for these could see hacks coming out that tries enabling the 4th core...

3. Arnold Lieberman

Sounds sensible to me

It's the same principle that Intel use when rating their chips - e.g. ones that can't hit 3GHz are marked as 2.6GHz, and ones where one half of the L2 cache fail tests are sold with 2Mb cache.

Of course, you could be lucky and get a 3GHz part that has been marked as 2.6GHz because the yield of 3Ghz chips is greater than the demand...

4. Edison Asuncion Jr.
    Happy

Selling what is supposed to be trash already.

AMD quadcores with 1 defective core to be sold as tri-cores? So instead of trashing the ones with defective core, AMD would rather sell them.

Anyways there is no such thing as hard bread for me. I would still go AMD for budget solutions, and Intel for real performance.

Cheers to all. 8)

5. Register Reader

@Edison Asuncion Jr.

I hope you never run a business, you may find that you're not very good at it. Intel only stick together 2 dual core processors, which have a higher yield rate than they'd get if they made quad core processors. Nobody gets 100% yield rate. AMD are just being sensible, and I certainly wouldn't consider 3-core processors trash, I'd be quite happy to buy one if the price was significantly lower than the quads.

6. Edison Asuncion Jr.
    Happy

@Register Reader

I hope you understand the term "defect". Defects are supposed to be thrown. This case they are recycled.... errrr.. rebranded to tri-core.

But of course I would also get one if the price is right... again for budget concerns.

Cheers! 8)

PS: check the AMD website for their comparative comparison of dual-cores:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_13041%5E13042,00.html

ever wonder... where are these intel specs 45nm, S-SSE3, and some intel lower TDP's missing, etc? why didn't AMD post the updated specs of intel when AMD post theirs down to 45W TDPs?

who's using 3DNow! ? , it's year 2008.... not 1998.

all AMD's marketing hype. 8)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like