back to article Samsung: World LOVES our chips 'n' mobes – expect a record quarter

Samsung is expecting to announce yet another quarter of record profits at the end of this month, no doubt driven by its Galaxy smartphone sales. The Korean tech giant said its second quarter operating profit will have shot up 14.5 per cent from the previous quarter and 79 per cent from the same quarter last year to 6.7 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee Dowling Silver badge
    FAIL

Shame, then, that I just spent 3 hours with my boss trying to figure out how to download a Samsung app to control a brand-new Samsung TV from a Samsung Galaxy SIII.

In the end, we called their app-store support line only to be told that you can't. You can use an older phone (even non-Samsung Android's), but you can't run their headline app on their headline phone with their headline TV.

1. Miek
      Linux

I wouldn't worry it's probably buggy and boated like their Kies software.

1. MrXavia

Its a good app, but unfortunately not everything was in place for the S3 launch, it feels like it was rushed, unfortunately Samsung make great hardware, but are a bit quick on the software push...

1. Miek
          Linux

I can't say I have used the software as I do not have a Samsung TV, but I quite agree on your sentiments about Samsung's software development approach and how good their hardware can be.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's well known that the Koreans love to cram in as many features and toys as possible into their tech. This doesn't always mean their stuff is easy to use.

My Cowon M3 had a really fiddly remote to control it, contrast that with the nice touchwheel of iPods of the day. Just shows Apple understands usability.

3. chipxtreme
      Facepalm

Just download SamyGo Remote from the play store. It works fine with my Samsung 3D TV.

1. Shagbag

"works on my machine"

2. Ginger

Does this make a mockery of the fact that the injunction bond recently awarded in the US to apple was only ~$90M?

I thought that was way too low.

1. h3

re: Ginger

The 90M bond is just for the Galaxy Nexus in a single market.

Afaik they sell allot more galaxy s phones than nexus phones. (The networks can add bloatware to them so they subsidise them more).

3. frank ly

" ... stopped people ... , from buying new televisions

What stops me from buying a new television is that there's bugger all worth watching on it. Even if I get a DVD (by some means), I'm more interested in the quality of the story and the acting than any wizz-bang special effects and surround sound marvels.

4. Mark .

"Samsung's Galaxy smartphones have clawed their way to the top of the market in recent times, overtaking even Apple's Jesus-mobe."

And Nokia - who were number one and now number two, let's not forget.

"even"? The Jphone has never been the number one platform, I don't know why the media carry on this charade that it ever was.

Still, great to see amazing success for Samsung (and Android). And at last, the media actually seem to be acknowledging that Apple aren't the top.

Regarding their mixed results in non-smartphone areas, that's the downside of having a big company. But I think a company like Samsung with a diverse portfolio are in a much better position - I mean, consider if they only made phones. Whilst it would make their relative growth and profits much better, it would also make them much more vulnerable if that one position became weaker (the problem that Nokia have always had - a world leader in mobile devices, but don't make much else). Would we seriously suggest that Samsung would be better off if they only made phones, just on the grounds it would make the relative stats better?

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Stock prices

Or maybe investors have started to have serious doubts...

Or maybe it's just a bad day at the exchange. Most indices are suffering today. Not that really matters to all the "analysts" and "investors" who are so often blithely referred to.

Long-term it has been demonstrated to be better to invest in a company that regularly pays dividends than in one whose stock tends to rise. Real jam now versus possibly more jam tomorrow.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Side stepping the ban

As to the galaxy nexus I was under the impression that the plan was just to install Jelly Bean on them which avoids the apple patent in some way and that they would be in sale again very soon and not the years apple might hope.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like