back to article Cisco, Fusion-io's blade lovechild in EMC flash face-off

Will VCE ship Vblocks - its virtual machine battery farms - with Fusion-io flash cards inside instead of EMC's VFCache memory rival? In June Cisco entered into an OEM deal with Fusion-io whereby the networking hardware titan would incorporate Fusion's ioDrive2 PCIe flash cards into its UCS B-Series blade servers. The aim is to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Diskcrash

Possibly

While the underlying concepts are similar I guess the issue would be does the Fusion-IO card in a Vblock configuration support the same functionality? The main functional difference I am thinking of is that as I understand it the EMC solution uses their card for reads and writes through it to the underlying block storage so that in the event of a failure that the data is stored and protected externally to the host and the card. If Fusion-IO supports this then either solution would be fine but if not then it comes back to the potential limitation of having your data on a PCI card inside a server that could fail at some point.

I suspect the reason EMC calls it VFcache is that is a good description of what it is doing.

The Fusion-IO products work well but I find the overall solution set from EMC to be compelling.

2. LeguanArne
    WTF?

I doubt you will see VCE sell DAS solutions in the near future

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

would be surprised...

ntap allowing f.io in f.pod. are u keeping some thing from us chris? will ntap resell f.io? do share.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like