back to article Torrent overflows Opera

Opera has fixed a flawed involving how its browser handles Torrent files that allowed hackers to attack vulnerable systems. A boundary error in handling certain types of Torrent files exposed version 9.x of the browser to a stack-based buffer overflow, providing a user right-clicks a malicious Torrent entry in the transfer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe K

How many is that this year?

1 bug? And only if you are mental enough to use Opera to download your torrents instead of use a proper program like uTorrent?

I can live with that.

*hugs Opera*

2. Andrew Jackson

Patched already

After launching Opera and finding there was new version available, which I installed, I read this article and found out my work was already done. I don't use Opera for torrents either, so not a great risk for me. But still, how much time elapsed between discovery and patch publication? Seems like a pretty damn fast patch release. Granted, Opera only has one application to shepard, as opposed to an entire OS. Even so, they certainly didn't drag their feet. Opera rocks that way.

3. John

Speedy patch

Same as the above fellow (could it be an #amirc buddy?), Ubuntu has already installed the new update (9.21) this morning or last evening. Bless Opera, Bless Ubuntu :]

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

..and so quick

55 seconds after hitting the 'check for updates' button, Opera was updated and running again - no reboots, no fuss.

5. Daniel Warner

Just to confirm how good Opera is...

This just confirms to me that i am using the best browser out there. as soon as they discover a bug, it gets fixed straight away. When you compare how many security fixes Opera has had compared to Firefox and IE, it sure makes me feel safer and a little warm and fuzzy to the developers..

/me joins group hug... ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like