back to article RIM boss denies cratering Canucks are in 'a death spiral'

RIM CEO Thorsten Heins has insisted that the troubled phone maker is not in "a death spiral" and will emerge successfully from its current travails. In a radio interview with the Canadian broadcaster CBC, Heins expressed disappointment with the recent delay to the launch of BlackBerry 10 operating system. But he claimed the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I'm positive we will emerge successful," he said. Well he would, wouldn't he?

Al least he hasn't done an Elop, and told the world that the ship is going down, frightening off any prospective buyers that there might be.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
      Happy

Re: "I'm positive we will emerge successful," he said. Well he would, wouldn't he?

I suspect all CEOs have learnt from Gerald Ratner's little faux pas

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "I'm positive we will emerge successful," he said. Well he would, wouldn't he?

Yep dear old Gerry, nothing like standing a sinking ship then lighting the box of funny brown "candles" just to make sure the ship is definitely no good for salvage after it sinks!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wher have I heard that before?

Ah yes Symbian and Nokia I think?

2. Whitter
    Meh

And...?

Was there any point in reporting this "news"?

1. Flugal

Re: And...?

Just a reminder RIM (te-he) still exist before they disappear from the radar altogether.

3. Colin Hillier
    Thumb Down

One of two COOs

...says it all really.

1. Anonymous Coward 101

Re: One of two COOs

Which COO did Saddam invade?

COO 8.

4. benzaholic
    FAIL

Tough spot

It's not like we really expected him to be quoted saying something like

Holy Frijoles! We sat on our arses while the market moved beyond crackberries, and we didn't really seem to plan for this. What was that minimum bonus level in my contract?

But it would be more convincing if he could add something other than

The next version of our OS will fix everything and make everybody love us again and buy our kit.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think I know what RIM's problem is

It's a matter of public perception. I wanted to look at some vids of people using BlackBerrys to compare them with iPhones and Androids so I typed "rim" into a video search engine...

1. frank ly

Re: I think I know what RIM's problem is

I typed 'blackberry' into that seach engine and got a nice but slightly crazy old lady telling me how to make preserves. It was interesting and I watched her entire video series.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So that s a case of bread today, jam tomorrow then

1. Anonymous Coward 101

They had 'bread' yesterday. They have become 'toast' today.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Over the past three months, RIM has sold 7.8 million handsets – to put that in perspective, Google last week reported a million new Android activations every day."

So Android is outselling RIM by 10-1...... And how many manufacturers are there making Android phones?

I'm not saying that RIM aren't screwed - but they aren't doing that bad either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

7.8 over 3 months - lets say 90 days

compared to 1million a day is 11.53 odd to 1.

Now thats comparing sales to activations and alot could be resales so you may be more on the ball with 10-1

Either way it aint bad, though the stock market is no longer based upon results or products but perception more and more. Sadly that perception is how can they not fail.

Maybe they should of stuck to making phones in Canada and not over expanding there production plants and there model range. Reliability and robustness has not improved over time for them and they had a great reputation for robust handsets at one time.

I still think the extra delay added to there new platform release which has already been delayed is not going to help as they already made the phones ready for it. Not a great situation and they are at the share level that makes them ripe for asset stripping, however it is done these days.

Nortel, Corel, .......RIM! Sad trend, but it is clearly a trend.

1. Conrad Longmore

Corel is still bumbling along as far as I can see, but the Nortel story is one that RIM nearly needs to take heed of. Nortel was always going to die, it was just a question of *when*.. however the senior staff decided to fiddle the figures to give themselves bonuses which hastened its demise somewhat.

Luckily for Canada they still have a decent energy, banking and engineering sector. If RIM dies it won't crater the Canadian economy in the same way that Nortel did.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, when you compare RIM to a single Android vendor then it won't look so bad.

Blackberry still have the corporate market locked up. Many of their customers have made the investment in BB services on their network and won't want to switch in a hurry.

3. Droid on Droid

I can't see how a loss of $518 million can be anything but bad. At the rate they are burning cash they will be broke in 15 months tops. I don't expect to ever see a Blackberry 10 phone but then I don't expect RIM to go broke. This time next year RIM are in software and services or they're dead. They just don't have the time and money to play catch up.

7. J. R. Hartley

One word:

Nortel.

1. Conrad Longmore
      Thumb Up

Re: One word:

Exactly.

1. W.O.Frobozz
        Thumb Down

Two additional words

"Rockstar Consortium."

This is RIM's ultimate fate. The war against Android must go on, Apple and Microsoft didn't pony up all that money for nothing.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Nice speach - is the CEO related to Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf perhaps?

Nice speach - is the CEO related to Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9aW1atFLMM

Maybe its a joke, maybe its relality - caught in a landslide :)

9. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

the new platform will revive company fortunes

Cos iPhone is only on version 5 and Android is only version 4, so blackberry 10 will be twice as good.

Remember the most important thing to teenage smartphone users is the heritage of the multitasking kernel in the core of the OS - all twilight fans ever talk about is whether the Linux or BSD derived models could be better than QNX's RTOS heritage.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOL yeah right

Thats why most of your staff use a iPhone as there primary phone! Does somewhat sum things up if your own staff tweet from there iPhone etc instead of there proud blackberry device.

Why should anybody have faith in RIM when your own staff clearly don't. Maybe because they don't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: LOL yeah right but what staff?

Have they not all been made redundant?

2. Goat Jam
      Headmaster

Re: LOL yeah right

Wow. Only 50 words yet we have three incorrect uses of the word "there".

That has to be one of the densest example of there/their/they're fail I've seen in ages.

Nicely done sir!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprised

Ive worked with RIM tech and the people who navel gazed RIM tech.

Back in 08 RIM was *the* solution and Android was just coming out.

I recall meetings in which some of us pointed out that Android was going to be huge and how we should move our solution onto it and away from RIM. Why? Because BB development was as mcuh fun as nailing jelly to a tree, it had a god-awful centralised app security bureaucracy and a Microsoft-or-nothing up-its-own-arse server back end philosophy.

Needless to say, the suits overruled us, because - well, because the suits all had BBs and loved poncing round the golf course showing them off. Meanwhile all us techs (and everyone else it seems) were busily buying Androids and writing Android code in our spare time.

The rest, as they say, is history.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mea Culpa

I'm sorry RIM, I think I jinxed your platform :-(

I bought, and really liked, a Sony-Ericsson P1i. Symbian died.

I bought, and really like, a Blackberry Pearl. RIM now on the way out.

Maybe I should buy an iPhone??

13. Neil Anderson
    Happy

Whoa

Loss of 5,000 RIM jobs. Kind of writes itself, doesn't it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like