back to article SanDisk prices up 32GB SDHC memory card

SanDisk yesterday dealt its most capacious SD memory card yet: a 32GB SDHC that it expects to see on store shelves in April priced at $350 (£176/€235). That's more than the cost of the Eee PC we thought we might put one of these cards into... SanDisk 32GB Ultra II SDHC SanDisk's 32GB Ultra II SDHC: capacious but costly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Spence

32GB still best value

The 32GB card may be expensive, but is still the best value per GB.

32GB = £5.50/GB

16GB = £5.63/GB

2. eddiewrenn
    Thumb Up

Finally!

Not that I want one of these bad boys in particular, but I'm hoping this will spur Sony to hurry up with their bigger-capacity m2 cards - or at least hopefully when I get the K850i camera-phone's successor, 32gb (or 16gb) cards are wallet-friendly, sub-£50 prices.

So as it stands, way overpriced and it's been a long wait, but hopefully a boot up the memory card's market.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free with Cornflake packets by Christmas then :-)

Funky!

4. Frank Bough
    Unhappy

If it can do 15MB/sec...

..then why is it only rated as an SDHC Class 4? There's obviously something about the SDHC class system that I'm not getting yet.

5. Justin
    Paris Hilton

Doesn't explain over inflated SSD HD prices

If these things RRP at around £180, why are 64GB SSD HDU selling for £600 -£800 i.e. 3-4 times the price. I realize there are differences in the technologies however are they 3-4 times more expensive to produce?

PH angle, because she's also a bit overpriced and overrated.

6. Adam Potts
    Jobs Horns

@If it can do 15MB/sec...

Class system is a minimum expected read/write speed of (for example class 4) 4MB/s (on an empty card no-less) whereas the 15MB/s they'vve mentioned in the article is a maximum

Methinks?

7. Gil

Maximum writes?

Are these still fairly fragile in terms of maximum read/writes? I can see the appeal of using one as swap partition, but how long would it take to die under such durress?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

micro-SDHC?

Cool! I'm hoping this will herald the arrival of a micro version for my TyTN II :-D

9. Ryan Stewart

@justin

speed.

The basic SSD drives are at least twice as fast while the ones from Mtron and the likes are almost 5 times as fast as this card.

The sandisk 1.8" 64gb one says it maxes out at 67mB/s.

10. fluffy

This should go into a subnotebook

Two of these in a RAID-0 configuration would be much cheaper (and smaller, and perhaps lighter) than a 64GB SSD. How long before someone hacks an Eee or MacBook Air with this kit?

11. Ryan Stewart

it would still be very slow.

Think about it, this thing runs at minimum 4MB and at MAX 15. That is really slow (about the same as the max of a USB thumb drive in USB).

It would make the performance sooo poor. Sure its reliable, but at what cost?

I think I will just wait till the very fast ones come down in price.

12. Maryland, USA

"32GB the best value" = fuzzy math

Tim Spence wrote: "The 32GB card may be expensive, but is still the best value per GB."

32GB = £5.50/GB

16GB = £5.63/GB

Here in the U.S. colonies, we can buy an A-DATA Class 6 16GB card from NewEgg.com for $65. That's £33, or about £2.06/GB.

This topic is closed for new posts.