back to article Analyst fears iPhone 5 power pack to prompt launch postponement

Apple's handset battery supplier is struggling to produce the high volume of units required for an iPhone 5 launch, moles claim. The issue could see the smartphone's debut delayed. The whispers, which come by way of Chinese web portal Sina.com, were relayed by stockbroker Topeka Capital Markets' Brian White, who has already …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kebablog

What a load of crap. It'll come out in October. Usual analysts talking out of their collective arses

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bit like Christmas marketing...

All of a sudden you start hearing Carols playing everywhere and adverts pushed at you about gifts etc, and you groan and think, "they can't have started that already...?"

I'm starting to feel this way about iPhone 5 rumour-mongering. Could we hold back the analyst drivel until, say, September? I'm not sure I can stand so many months of click-bait storey titles.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A bit like Christmas marketing...

Nope, we ask every year and get ignored every year.

The rumours and analysis are always so far off the mark it's laughable. The same rubbish gets regurgitated every year and it never materialises.

Don't forget this time last year were were also eagerly awaiting the iphone 5...............

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

iPhone 4SIV

I predict we'll have the iPhone 4S-IV so as to trump the Samsung Galaxy S-III and claim that using S in a phone name is obviously Apple's idea and they now have the higher version number so Samsung's sales should be banned until the rebrand their handsets.

Mine's the one with nothing S related in the pocket.

3. Mark C Casey

Display

I'm really curious on whether they'll keep the same display resolution or up it.

Due to the way IOS devices aren't resolution independent (like Android), Apple will either have to double the resolution again or keep the current resolution lessening the "retina" display ppi.

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      Coat

Re: Display

Or, more obviously, they'll just change the rules as it suits them and add a new resolution specific to just the iPhone5 that developers will have to account for.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Q.Q

A new device and developers may have to do 'some work' - guess you are a half empty kind of person.

2. Andy 115

The sensible concensus seems to be that it will retain the same width but gain extra pixels on the height.

Same PPI, existing apps can display black-barred (top/bottom or left/right depending on orientation) and ore make use of the extra space for new (unannounced) OS UI.

New apps can use full resolution (note many existing apps should be able to make use of this anyway if they have been written to the proper specs!)

1. uhuznaa
        Megaphone

Current apps already have to be somewhat flexible about their UI's height, since there's a double height status bar when you use them during a phone call. Vertical flexibility won't be very much of a problem.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Doubling up each way to 1920*1280 would be mighty small pixels on a 4" class screen, I can't see that happening this year. Also would cripple graphics performance and I doubt a small phone size device could do as the iPad3 did and just ship an extreme graphics solution and massive battery to compensate.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Due to the way IOS devices aren't resolution independent (like Android)"

... and what a screw up that causes.

4. Nick De Plume
    Devil

Keeping the name alive

Since consumers have acute A.D.D., they need to be constantly reminded, nay, bombarded with Brand Names. Whatever the half baked reason.

COMING ON NEXT:

One worker drops a spanner in Mercedes Factory - Insider Report. (cue newsflash infographics)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Real news would be...

An iteration of the iPhone coming out that did not have any issues.

Why the fanbois continuously shell out big bucks for consistently flaky gear is beyond me.

1. uhuznaa

Re: Real news would be...

Well, since most iPhone buyers never had one before and so can't be actual fanbois, those people seem to have other reasons not to buy other phones. Maybe they just have other priorities than you?

Anyway. Apple has not announced any release date, so speculating about any delays is somewhat moot.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Real news would be...

Troll.

6. Anonymous John
    Flame

"70 per cent of batteries fail to meet Apple's specifications"

See icon.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like