back to article Doctors must be trained to avoid web blab blunders, says group

A stray tweet could bring the whole medical profession into disrepute, a body that advises doctors on legal and ethical issues has warned. That means docs should be taught how to safely use Facebook, Twitter and even Google+ during their compulsory ethics training, according to the Medical Protection Society (MPS) in response …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Buzzword

A body which supplies doctors with training and advisory services recommends that doctors need more training and advice. Now there's a surprise.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Happy

And slowly we progress...

...towards a society that understands the importance of privacy.

Actors yesterday, doctors today, MPs incessantly (in the press), schoolchildren ad nauseam. Soon no member of society will not have been specifically taken to one side and lectured about the dangers of putting their personal life online.

3. tkioz
    Go

While their recommendation might be self-serving, their advice is far from such, Doctors and other professionals do need to learn that actions online can have very powerful consequences for your professional life.

It's one thing to make a comment behind a handle with very little identifying information about you, it's another to make a comment on facebook or twitter with your real name proudly displayed. You can seriously harm your standing that way.

It's why I have personal accounts that I never access from work, and work accounts for forums/etc, I tend to be very conservative with those work accounts.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Do they really need to worry about Google+? Does anyone even read anything posted there?

5. John A Blackley

Sened 'em to America

where one ill-considered comment on a Facebook page will get the lab coat sued off you.

6. Johan Bastiaansen
    Thumb Up

Like my father said

Think before you talk.

Think longer before you write.

Think longerder before you write something that everybody can read.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like