back to article Naked Scarlett Johansson pic snatch 'is worth 6 years' porridge'

Prosecutors have called for tough penalties and mid-level fines against the self-confessed Scarlett Johansson nude photo hacker. Christopher Chaney, of Jacksonville, Florida, 35, pleaded guilty in March to hacking into the webmail account of numerous celebs including Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johansson and changing settings to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you think they'll let him print some copies to pin on his cell wall?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

OPTIONAL

DOES THIS GUY DO REQUESTS ID LIKE SOME NAKKED PICTURES OF KIRSTIE ALLY

2. LarsG

Sadly it looks like the legal system over there will make the crime fit the punishment rather than the punishment fit the crime.

I just think that when they need to change the law to make an example of someone it smacks of the kind of regimes that we already hate, Iran, China, Burma, Ethiopia, North Korea, Bahrain etc.

Retrospective punishment is just as bad. The law is there so use it but don't abuse it to fit.

3. Blitterbug
      Happy

Do you think they'll let him print some copies to pin on his cell wall?

Hope so. Give him something to do during his very stiff sentence...

1. Asiren

Roaring trade

If he still had access, could build up a roaring trade behind bars...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Wow!

If they want 6 years for this, the guys at Barclays are going to be facing the death penalty for attempting to defraud millions of people!

Unless, of course, the courts treat crimes by poor people against rich people differently from crimes committed by the rich against the poor.

As if!

1. roadsidepicnic

Re: Wow!

The excessive sentence will actually be for infringing FBI/government copyright on intercepting emails and communications.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...and to make matter worse the pics are boring as fuck...nothing edgy. Waste of space. She needs to get over herself. She's got the same bits as everyone else.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

She's got several bits I don't have, actually.

1. stanimir

She's got several bits I don't have, actually.

You have to get out more often then

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alert

Hang on.

Who in their right mind would get a load of candid shots of themselves and then punt 'em to their mates over an insecure web service, knowing full well that such would be dynamite to the tabloids? What would be the motivation?

Maybe they ought to be paying him for acting as the middle man in their transparently obvious attempts to seek cheap publicity.

1. Pinkerton
      Thumb Down

Re: Hang on.

She's just an actress, not an IT-literate person such as you. Why would she, or anyone else, know or suspect that email is insecure? She reads Acting Weekly, and This Thespian Life, not The Register or even the Beeb's 'puters-for-beginners, Click. Just because *you* know that email is as secure as a leaky bucket doesn't mean that everyone else does.

To assume that this is 'obviously' a publicity stunt is a Daily Mail-like presumption at best and is based on zero facts.

1. Wize

OK< she may not be computer literate, but surely by now the celebs, even the thick ones, have worked out the only way to ensure a naked picture of yourself doesn't get plastered over the internet is not to have any in the first place.

If it exists, someone will get it. Its going to be hacked or a disgruntled boyfriend is going to set it free.

1. Invidious Aardvark
          WTF?

What is it with some of you people? Being a "celebrity" does not automatically mean you lose all rights to privacy. The way some of you are going on about it, you'd think it was the fault of the victims that they got hacked.

There was me thinking that all this phone-hacking stuff in the UK was a scandal that had to be investigated. Turns out that Levenson should just have said "They're vaguely famous, they have no right to expect people not to hack into their phones, this investigation is closed.".

I agree that the sentence being sought is way too harsh, but blaming the victims for being hacked is getting rather close to the "Dressed like that she was asking for it" defence.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: she reads "Acting Weekly"

I haven't heard of that one, but I have heard of the tabloid press and I have heard dozens, if not hundreds, of stories about pics on mobile phone making it into the magazines that are sold to the mass market at supermarket checkouts.

If someone in show business doesn't know any of that, they should be carted off to an asylum for their own protection.

Or do they not have a tabloid press in the States, so all the air-heads in Hollywood just have no idea how the rest of the world works?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: she reads "Acting Weekly"

"haven't heard of that one, but I have heard of the tabloid press and I have heard dozens, if not hundreds, of stories about pics on mobile phone making it into the magazines that are sold to the mass market at supermarket checkouts."

I bet you have. In the last couple of years. Her photos were stolen three years ago though. And besides, the OP's point stands. She had intimate photos actively stolen. Not everyone can know everything about securing their systems. And we certainly can't only associate with people who do. Are you sure that everyone you share information with is safe from hacking? It get's really tiresome how some people love to blame the victim. Were naked pictures of you, or your partner, or your daughter were taken from their account and sent about online, exactly how happy would you be to blame the victim?

3. toadwarrior
        Meh

Yeah it's not like this sort of thing has ever happened to celebs before becoming the focus of every new site and gossip rag so there's no reason for her to think her stuff is unsafe.

4. Jon Press

I wonder how much "porridge",,,

... these pictures have already occasioned?

1. Tom 7

Re: I wonder how much "porridge",,,

I would say you owe me a new keyboard but that could be misinterpreted...

5. The Vociferous Time Waster
    Gimp

not for profit

So the fact that he didn't do this for money is a *good thing* in this case? Creepy bastard.

1. Ben Rosenthal

Re: not for profit

yes it would have been much less creepy if he'd gone in for some blackmail rather than just checking out some famous boobies....the freak!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question is...

Where can I find the pics?

1. Goldmember

Re: Question is...

Google is your friend...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

snatch

I don't recall seeing any pictures of her snatch. Nice bum but no snatch!

8. Sir Barry

I could not possibly comment on the length of the prison sentence without seeing the photos first...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An attractive friend of mine wanted to get nekkid pictures of herself to a mate of mine she fancied, by MMS. Half an hour later, she rang to say "Hiya, they wouldn't send to his phone for some reason... would you mind if I sent them to you and you tried to send them to him from your phone?"

Er, okay.

Seems a more realistic attitude on her part- if your going to send nekkid pictures to anyone, expect others to see them.

1. Thomas 4

Oo

Seriously, let me know how that plays out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not to be obvious, but...

Pics, or it didn't happen!

10. Thomas 4
    IT Angle

The man is a fool

$150,000 for some extremely dull nudie pictures when the web has a plethora of very high-quality wrist exercisers for a fraction of the cost.

Not that I know anything about that, being a respectable gentleman.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

6 Years for a naked Scarlett Johansson?

Yeah, I'd do the time for that.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Joke

Re: 6 Years for a naked Scarlett Johansson?

I don't think she'll be in there with you!

12. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Thumb Down

6 yrs

for a semi-nude picture hacking

Pity he was'nt their doctor... he could have murdered them and only got 4 years

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Christina Aguilera?

Just mentioned that name in the office and the first comment was "been there, done that"

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good one

I read that as "Naked Scarlett Johansson snatch pic"

Had me going for a moment!

1. Mephistro
      Joke

Re: Good one

Yep! Happened to me, too.

Incidentally, my mouse driver gave me this message: "Warning: the mouse acceleration limit of 20g has been exceeded".

15. b166er

I can understand celebrities having email addresses not under the auspices of their handlers for sending such images, but I don't understand how they can think it's sensible to operate an email account without fully understanding the features, such as forwarding, of that email account.

That said, bulk email address providers shouldn't allow people to have email accounts with lame passwords.

1. Ilgaz

Yahoo could save her

If she used Yahoo mail and couldn't see point of "mail plus" no matter how rich she is, she could be saved.

How? Yahoo doesn't allow forwarding from non plus mail accounts ;)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: Yahoo could save her

... in the US. They do in other countries.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Evidence

I expect the jury will want to have a good look at them - and the pictures.

17. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Way to go dolt

Idiot. As delicious as Ms. Johansen is in the birthday suit, is she worth losing your freedom, mate? No wench no matter how lovely she is, is worth losing your freedom. "Bubbah" will help you learn that lesson in prison.

18. Alex Walsh
    Thumb Down

I come to a story with Scarlett Johansson, naked, pics, and snatch in the title and find no pictures of a naked Scarlett Johansson's snatch?

What sort of site are you????

1. David Webb
      Devil

An IT site, which means we should all know how to hack into Maggie Thatchers personal email account and download picks of her "snatch", if that kinda thing turns you on..... Besides, the internet is out there, I'm sure if you look you could find a pic of Scarlett Johansson in an orgy with Mario and Luigi with Princess Mushroom or whatever her name is, cheering on naked whilst riding a camel and Laura Croft flying from the roof onto Batman who is only wearing a cape, and not much else.....

2. This post has been deleted by its author

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You gotta pay to play

Six years should be an educational experience for the perp.

20. Majid

This kind of stuff should be punished severly..

It is a serious invasion of privacy, and I can very much understand the psychological effect this can have on someone.

Obviously here most people think its a laughing matter, or somehow justified just because we 'all' probably want to see miss Scarlett in the nude.

What was meant to be private should be treated with respect and not published for the whole world to see. If you do that then in my eyes you are a rat, and if you wilfully steal that mail/pictures you are a also a thief.. So he basically is a thief and a rat..

1. Mad Mike

Re: This kind of stuff should be punished severly..

The problem with all this is not necessarily the sentence for this particular offence, but this sentence relative to others. You can murder people these days and get little more than 6 years and as one poster has put it, if you're their doctor, it's even less. How does that make sense? Doesn't mean this sentence is too low or too high, just that it doesn't make sense with the other. Look at financial crimes that take millions from people..........low sentences.

Now, compare to a woman who has undoubtedly had a crime committed against her, but how serious is it? Yes, she should be able to send photos and keep them private etc. Absolutely. But, let's face some facts. Most actresses at some point appear in films naked. many actresses (especially of her beauty) go on to appear in various dodgy shows and magazines like Playboy, often when their fame starts to fade. So, on the scale of things, how serious is it really?

It all goes to show that the sentences handed down for crimes don't appear to make any sense at all. And that, is what brings the so called justice system into disrepute.

2. Xenobyte
      Alert

Re: This kind of stuff should be punished severly..

You are so wrong!

Sure it is an invasion of privacy, but the fact that he found nude pics are entirely their own fault, both Scarlett Johansson and Renée Olstead.

It boggles my mind that celebs snap nude pics or make sex videos of themselves and send them to surprisingly often completely unreliable boyfriends, who often end up selling them after a breakup. Sure, in this case the pics were 'liberated' using 'hacking' but there would be nothing to share if the celebs just stopped being stupid and thus stopped making them.

The rule of thumb here is that you should never write anything or pose for pictures/video that you don't want to end up 'out there'... because once out there, there's the Streisand-effect...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Xenobyte

Just like it would be your fault if you're car was stolen while you are at work because you should know better then to park somewhere other than in your garage.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like