Google Drive IOS or Dropbox

This topic was created by Chris Mellor 1 .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Mellor 1

Google Drive IOS or Dropbox

Which do you prefer for iPhone and iPad; Google Drive or Dropbox? I don't like Dropbox photo capture strategy. Google Drive doesn't have that, offering simple file-sharing.What do you think?

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Intercept strategy.

Hmm, the Android version of Dropbox has Camera upload to Dropbox as a configurable item. I turned it off when it prompted me with the setup options at first use. I'm sort of vaguely tempted to turn it on to see if it's as annoying as you say........................actually no, I'm not tempted at all.

Likewise the Windows version apparently has the option to automagically upload pics to Dropbox in the standard dialogue when it detects a drive / camera / tyrannosaur / whatever full of pics. Since I selected "Take no action" for things with pics and reinforced that by unchecking the "Annoy the shit out of me every time I do this" option eons ago, I don't see it.

3. Fuzz

The windows version of dropbox is using the standard windows autoplay functionality so if you've already told Windows what to do with your pictures dropbox won't try to upload them. However it did offer to upload a bluray for me the other day. It might have a job fitting that into the 2GB of free space.

4. jnievele
    Thumb Down

No captcha

I didn't get a captcha when I installed it - it was probably because the account used for testing had too many bad logons or something like this, it would have asked for a Captcha even when logging in via a desktop PC.

1. Dave_Page

Re: No captcha

Yeah, no captcha for me either - just username, password and auth code (I have 2 factor auth enabled).

5. Anonymous Coward 15

I've allowed the photo upload thing

Convenient backup, and beats fscking around with Bluetooth or ejecting a card that also has apps on it if I'm taking eBay photos.

6. spider from mars

Dropbox - mainly because I've got it already

And it's already integrated with a bunch of my other apps. (PDF reader, Browser for downloading files, Flashcard app, etc.)

Saying that, I rarely if ever use the actual Dropbox *app*, partly because the bundled reader is so bad.

7. Phil W
    Headmaster

Terrible article is terrible

Not impressed. This article feels heavily biased against Google.

The captcha was not difficult to read at all, I can clearly read the letters on the photo in the article so I'm damn sure I could read it if the phone was in front of me (also why has this been done, I don't own an iDevice but I'm fairly confident you can easily take screenshots on them?).

Also the errors such as "a synch button to the lower right and a settings button to the lower right." (not both on the lower right) are irksome to those pedantic grammar Nazis among us.

(Also the use of synch rather than sync irks me, though that's a personal preference, synch is far less commonly used in my experience).

Better editing/proof reading/article construction from El Reg please, the quality of all articles seems to be deteriorating lately.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow! You seem like a bit of a girl! No wonder you have an Iphone.

9. Popup
    FAIL

Regarding the recent article

Please learn to use a spell-checker and how to take screenshots.

And try to find an in-house person to proof-read articles. (Regular papers used to have editors - for some reason many on-line-only organs believe that they don't need one. WRONG.)

I agree with Phil that the overall standard is slipping. The number of articles appears to have increased, but most of them are just re-hashed press releases, rants or slapdash 'reviews' devoid of in-depth analysis.

10. nichobe
    Meh

Neither preferred...

~I have both and use them for different things however, the first one to allow unlimited local syncing with cloud optional will get my vote.

I don't want to pay for storing everything in the cloud, only the stuff i want.

I would like to use my various computers in various locations to retain redundancy.

Currently testing AeroFS and Cubby which look promising.

11. Ed Cooper

a tip

Press the power button and the home button briefly at the sametime. Magic.

This topic is closed for new posts.