back to article Google.eggfaced: Chocolate Factory spaffs cash in dot-word bungle

Google may have applied to ICANN for 101 new generic top-level domains, but at least three of the applications are doomed to fail because somebody forgot to read the manual. The advertising juggernaut was the second-largest applicant out of the hundreds that applied for new right-of-the-dot addresses, according to the list …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Trollface

Yeah but it's worth going for it and giving it a try, don't you think.

I believe that there's a job vacancy now though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

worth a try...

It worked for me - way back at the dawn of time (1996?) UK domain registrations were administered by a bunch of academics. The domain I wanted was on their banned list. When they were about to be replaced by Nominet I applied anyway on the basis that they'd be swamped (especially as, if I recall correctly, the registration fee was to rise from approx zero to £100) and they might just rubber stamp everything. Success!

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Suggestion for Google

Don't send in the crappi.est/applications

3. Mephistro
    Joke

It's clear that the ICANN doesn't want to incur in Andorra's wrath!

(See title)

4. Anon

Comoras

Well, that's .com as-is down the pan then.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we sure it's a mistake?

Sounds like another of their top rated tax evasion schemes.

6. JDX Gold badge

URLs such as dogs.are/cute or fast.est/swimmer

Oh jeez. Gone are the days of URLs that make sense then.

1. Lockwood

Re: URLs such as dogs.are/cute or fast.est/swimmer

Haven't we had "http://kickme.to/somewhere" and similar a while back, usually to redirect to "http://home.isp.com/users/~user123" or "http://www.geocities.com/area51/31337"?

1. JDX Gold badge

join.me is a valid URL too. Not sure why.

2. LinkOfHyrule
        Thumb Up

You're right Lockwood - do these people think it's the 90s again or something! I think google might be stuck in 1999 - if only, they didn't suck back then.

7. frank ly
    Happy

It's The Muppet Show!

.. sort of.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$185,000 dollars?

"Shall we try to register these domains even though it's against the rules?"

"Hey, at just $185,000 a shot, why not? It's not as if they cost real money."

9. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Big Brother

101 new addresses...

...for me to redirect to 127.0.0.1

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

cra.ppyid.ea

I remember when delicious first started, they had a '.us' TLD and the rest of their name was part domain, part subdomain. I could never for the life of me remember where the feck that first dot went, so it usually took me several goes to get it right... de.licio.us...? deli.cio.us...? delic.io.us...? del.icio.us...?

Delicious have subsequently realised the idiocy of trying to have a smart-arse domain name like that and have now moved to delicious.com which, strangely enough I've never had any problems getting right first time.

I'm not looking forward to the new internet era, where half the domains out there are similarly nigh on impossible to remember, because some norbert in the company's marketing department has tried to come up with a witty play on words.

11. Keep Refrigerated
    Flame

.enough

Is it too cynical of me to really hope that these new TLD's fail abismally as users are put off by confusion and search rankings based on real clicks not marketing hype?!

It's enough to make me want to trial and support one of the smaller alternative root servers. I'd really like to see the internet split between corporate use and personal/hacker-space - perhaps an alternative to ICAANT could provide this?

Either that or we go back to analogue days and remember IP addresses, like we did phone numbers.

12. MondoMan
    Thumb Up

Annexation of Estonia?

Rather than being a RTFM mistake, Google applying for .est might just be a stealth move to annex Estonia to the Plex. Tall, attractive, singing beer-making anti-authoritarian coders -- how can you go wrong?

13. Lockwood
    Trollface

I want .cmo and .couk

Please be visiting your friends on facebook.cmo! Enterings your credit cards to continue.

Please be signings up for extra Register content at http://www.theregister.couk/premier for early releasings! Only £49.99 a month!

1. Strich
      Thumb Up

All providings come with free ringding.

You do want free ringding?

1. Lockwood
        Thumb Up

Is free ringding. It only costs £29.99 for the first three months then £59.99 for the next 6 months and £89.99 a month after that!

Is good ringding!

14. Neoc

Verisign and .com

You are shitting me? Are you telling me that if I have registered "mycompany.com", someone else can register that domain in Cyrillic or Hebrew or Hiragana, or any other alphabet that exists on the planet? And potentially pose as "me"?

Who came up with this stupid concept?

Oh, wait... I forgot how much money gets raked in for every application. Silly me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like